2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Optima Battery Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 AM
ZAR2USA
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw too many Optima failures to recommend. BruteForce is made in the same factory as Odyssey with more cranking amps and longer warranty.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:11 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
I got X2 Power AGM from batteries plus. Relabeled Northstar.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:12 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
This battery looks pretty darn good to me.

3 year full replacement...plus 2 additional years warranty that are prorated.

Plus I believe there are over 6,000 stores across the USA where you can get help.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...3_250905_25698

Old 01-10-2019, 07:23 AM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55

Not a cool post on your part but if I take a minute maybe it will help you understand what I was saying.

For harsh military conditions, Baja races, etc yes I might definitely go AGM. They are much better suited for that environment.

Typically when high quality flooded lead acid batteries are compared to AGM’s of the same size the AGM will have lower CCA and reserve minutes and the old school flooded batteries will be cheaper. That’s really all I was saying.

What are a couple AGM batteries you would recommend for a Super Duty with a PSD?

Thank you.

PS...Thank you for your service to the country Sir.

My hat is off to you sir! I'm not sure I could have been so charitable. It's good to have an adult in the room.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jbrnigan
My hat is off to you sir! I'm not sure I could have been so charitable. It's good to have an adult in the room.
Thank you.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:25 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
I simply wanted an AGM because I had the leaking issues with my flooded battery. I don't start at -30, nor race in Baja, so I don't have any extreme performance expectations.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:33 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Davparks2
Going to need 2 new batteries. Realized one of my factory batteries is leaking and they are getting weaker after only 2 years. Dealer offered to replace them with factory 850CC batteries for 150 each plus install. I am hesitant do factory batteries again because they seemed to not hold up well so I was looking at Optima Yellow top 750CC batteries. After a coupon they are are 259.00 each I can do the install. The yellow tops are hybrid designed for deep cycle and normal starting. I do have a number of accessories on the truck a couple rigid 10" light bars and air bags and aux air compressor and I plan on adding more lights to the truck. A top of the line standard battery 850CC from auto parts is running about $165.00. Anyone have any experience with optima are they worth the extra $95 a piece. Both optima and Auto parts are 3 year free replacement. I live in a Houston and the heat here is hard on all batteries. Pretty much have to replace your battery after 3 to 4 years no matter what you go with. Am I really loosing anything by going with the 750CC vs 850CC. I think the factory battery is 750CC anyway. Just looking for opinions. Thanks
Before making your decision, take a look at Northstar.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BillyE
I simply wanted an AGM because I had the leaking issues with my flooded battery. I don't start at -30, nor race in Baja, so I don't have any extreme performance expectations.
My only suggestion would be make sure the AGM is has similar CCA's (you can find them out there but it is not as easy as finding OEM spec flooded) and be careful not to over-tighten the clamps even on a AGM. OEM is 850 on a PSD (at least) and some AGMs are in the 700-800 range. There is a rumor than some guys are having trouble with their Sync 3 and the potential cause is a drop in power to the radio head until causing the Sync 3 to reset (meaning it won't remember the last radio setting). All I'm saying is if you go AGM I would keep the specs of CCA and Reserve at least to OEM specs so if you have any charging or electronic issues the dealership can't come back to you saying you put an under powered batter in it.

The AGM will be zero maintenance so it's is one more thing not to worry about compared to flooded but for me this isn't a big deal since they don't need to be topped off that often these days.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a cool post on your part but if I take a minute maybe it will help you understand what I was saying.

For harsh military conditions, Baja races, etc yes I might definitely go AGM. They are much better suited for that environment.

Typically when high quality flooded lead acid batteries are compared to AGM’s of the same size the AGM will have lower CCA and reserve minutes and the old school flooded batteries will be cheaper. That’s really all I was saying.

What are a couple AGM batteries you would recommend for a Super Duty with a PSD?

Thank you.

PS...Thank you for your service to the country Sir.

Well data is data and have been in this part of the industry in our business for over 32 years now. Sorry and accept my apology for the incorrect assumptions but this is the one well need 2 that will go in my 2018 this spring. For me cost is irrelevant because of where I have to go and the hours I am on the road or at the very rural area or our ranch. Temperatures for me there vary from single digits to 120 with 70mph winds in far SE NM and in rough conditions so I cannot afford a shorted out cell due to acid stratification, sulfation issues.
Here is a link to another 930 CCA AGM for our trucks. https://www.impactbattery.com/nsb-agm65.html

NorthStar NSB-AGM65 Group 65 AGM Battery

Move your mouse over image or click to enlarge

.zoomWindowContainer div{border:1px solid #999;cursor:zoom-in !important}.padder.top_align{top:10px}#product-options-wrapper .amconf-label{display:none}
NorthStar NSB-AGM65 Group 65 AGM Battery

1 Reviews0 Questions | Write a review

Quick Overview

NSB-AGM65 Thin Plate AGM Battery 930CA, 135RC, 69AH

• Availability

In Stock
  • Product Brand

NorthStar
  • Model Number

NSB-AGM65
  • Voltage (V)

• Cold Crank Amps (CCA)

• Capacity (Ah)

• Warranty

4 Year

Quantity

Price : $319.95
ADD TO CART

#product_just_stars{background:rgba(0,0,0,0) url("http://cdn.impactbattery.com/images/xstarsBattery.png.pagespeed.ic.4Db4U4PB3v.png") no-repeat scroll 0 0;margin:8px 0;padding:0 0 0 8px;width:auto}#product_just_stars .off{display:inline-block !important}#product_just_stars .on,#product_just_stars .off,#product_just_stars .half{background-size:14px auto;height:14px;width:14px;margin:7px 0 10px 0}.ind_cnt{display:inline-block;font-size:11px;text-align:left;width:auto;height:14px;margin-left:32px}.ind_cnt a{display:inline-block;float:left;margin-top:-12px}

Comes with standard SAE auto post with positive on the right and meets exact BCI Group 65 requirements.

The NSB-AGM-65 group 65 battery is designed to reduce your overall cost of ownership by delivering superior starting performance and exceptional deep cycle capabilities. Manufactured from 99.997% pure lead in state-of-the-art facilities found in the middle of the country, North Star batteries are like no other. It was no accident in the naming of this exceptional company and it is no accident they are located in the Show Me State. When you have something this great to share you need to be at the center of the battery universe.

The thin plate technology enables this group 65 battery to produce high amp hour capacity, reserve capacity, and cranking power! It is found in most all of the Ford E series vans, Dodge Ram trucks, some of the Dodge Dakota and Durango, and Chrysler Aspen SUV.
Product Specification HighlightsCOLD CRANKING AMPS (CCA) :: 930 CCAPowering your E-350, Ram 2500 and Dakota to name a few; NorthStar leads the way.RESERVE CAPACITY (RC) :: 135 Min RCNo matter what accessory you add this battery can handle it!CYCLE LIFE Depth of DischargeOver 900 cycles at 50% depth of discharge (DOD) and over 400 cycles at 80% DOD The NorthStar NSB AGM 65 pure lead AGM technology delivers such high CCA ratings and incredible reserve capacity cycling ability that this just may be the last battery you ever buy for your vehicle! It will exceed conventional battery life expectancy reducing your overall cost of ownership. Fleet operators know the cost of labor and how important it is to minimize disruption and revenue lost due to downtime. Municipalities and corporations learn quickly the savings gained from utilizing these high performance sealed AGM maintenance free batteries.
  • Proudly Made in Springfield Missouri USA
  • Shockproof High Impact Case; Extremely Vibration Resistant
  • OEM Fit Ensured - Built to Exact BCI Standards
  • Perfect For Performance and Start-Stop Technology Applications
  • Low Self Discharge Rate, Leak-Proof / Spill Proof
  • Crazy Long 48 Month Full Replacement Warranty
  • Typical Service Life 5 to 12 Years
  • Deep Cycle Marvel: Over 400 Cycles to 80% DOD
  • Starting Master: High Crank and Quick Starting Every Time
  • Faster Recharge Than Conventional Batteries
  • Pure Lead AGM Technology Delivers Exceptional Performance

All NorthStar batteries are compliant with Battery Council International standards, UL approved and UN2800 certified. NorthStar is registered to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001. Approved as non-hazardous cargo for ground sea and air transport DOT 49CFR173.159(d), (i) and (ii)

Product Specs
Availability Note:In StockBrand:NorthStarModel:NSB-AGM65BCI Group Size:Group 65Capacity 20Hr (Ah):69Reserve Capacity (RC):135 minCold Cranking Amps (CCA)30Pulse Cranking Amps (PCA):1750Cranking Amps (CA):1070Voltage (V):12Chemistry:AGM - Factory SealedWarranty:4 YearPolarity:+++|---Dimensions (LxWxH - inches):11.76 x 7.32 x 7.42Dimensions (LxWxH - metric):299 x 186 x 188Weight (lb):55OEM Replacement:No

SLI65AGMDPM

4 Reviews

$ 319.99

Core Deposit: $18.00 ?
QTY

Add to Cart
  • Shipping & Pickup Options
  • Installation in Store
  • Pickup in Store
Call Southlake Store for Availability

Change Pickup Store

Type: Standard
  • 48 Month Free Replacement Warranty
  • Fully sealed, premium AGM with pure lead plates for sure starts
  • Advanced technology allows faster recharge
  • Quick connect terminals
  • Group 65 - approximate dimensions of 12" x 7.5" x 7.5"
  • 2017 Ford F-250 Super Duty Pickup V8 6.7L 750CCA Diesel Car and Truck battery
  • Item Number: SLI65AGMDPM
  • Brand: X2Power
  • Voltage: 12
  • Format: BCI Group 65
  • Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
  • Cold Cranking Amps: 930
  • Battery Type: Ultimate
  • Capacity 20hr: 74AH
  • Chemistry: Lead Acid
  • Color: Blue Top
  • Lead Acid Design: AGM
  • Made in the USA: True
  • Product Category: Marine/RV
  • Product Sub Category: Starting Lighting And Ignition
  • Usage: RV, Sump Pump
  • Warranty: 48 Month Free Replacement
  • Weight: 51.15 lbs
  • Length: 11.76 in
  • Width: 7.32 in
  • Height: 7.42 in

Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 AM
hansenlink
Senior User
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by h20camper
I just replaced a Wally World EverStart MAXX that was 9 years old. It was still working but I knew its time was coming. Best price and easy to deal with for warranty/exchanges. Wally typically doesn't argue.
Totally agree ^^^^

Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
My only suggestion would be make sure the AGM is has similar CCA's (you can find them out there but it is not as easy as finding OEM spec flooded) and be careful not to over-tighten the clamps even on a AGM. OEM is 850 on a PSD (at least) and some AGMs are in the 700-800 range. There is a rumor than some guys are having trouble with their Sync 3 and the potential cause is a drop in power to the radio head until causing the Sync 3 to reset (meaning it won't remember the last radio setting). All I'm saying is if you go AGM I would keep the specs of CCA and Reserve at least to OEM specs so if you have any charging or electronic issues the dealership can't come back to you saying you put an under powered batter in it.

The AGM will be zero maintenance so it's is one more thing not to worry about compared to flooded but for me this isn't a big deal since they don't need to be topped off that often these days.
Oh yes the Sync 3 thing is not a battery issue. It is in fact across the Ford line. It is a still yet to be determined problem of software and hardware. Well known that this is the weak link with Ford vehicles at this time. It is costing them sales in fact. When the new GM or Ram oil burners come out next fall/winter I will be going back because my 6 month old 18 has the problem in Spades with Sync 3. Took 6 weeks 28 January (due to recalls and electrical problems these departments in DFW dealers are booked solid) to get it an appointment into the shop. disconnect my battery every couple of days with a couple of soft reboots at least twice a day. Going to let this be someone else's problem.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Oh yes the Sync 3 thing is not a battery issue. It is in fact across the Ford line. It is a still yet to be determined problem of software and hardware. Well known that this is the weak link with Ford vehicles at this time. It is costing them sales in fact. When the new GM or Ram oil burners come out next fall/winter I will be going back because my 6 month old 18 has the problem in Spades with Sync 3. Took 6 weeks 28 January (due to recalls and electrical problems these departments in DFW dealers are booked solid) to get it an appointment into the shop. disconnect my battery every couple of days with a couple of soft reboots at least twice a day. Going to let this be someone else's problem.
Sorry you are having that trouble. Sounds like it's worse than mine. I have read that it is a volt issue where when the truck starts sometimes the volts drop to around 10 it causes the Sync 3 updated system to reset/glitch. Many are suggesting this may not just be a software problem with Sync 3 but a hardware issue. I was just suggesting to try to keep battery specs at or above OEM so if someone has these Sync 3 issues the dealership cannot point to the battery being used as a potential culprit. Heck, I was blamed for the spare tire connector issue because I was using #1 LED aftermarket bulbs, #2 a radar detector and then after my third diagnostic visit for this issue I was blamed for using a non Apple charging cord for my iPhone. All the while it was the Ford connector as the problem. LOL.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You and me both. My SA and even the others in the Leadership chain at the Dealer I use says that the Sync 3 issue is very frustrating for them as well. They thought that this was the fix and it turns out is is worse than the previous Microsoft developed system of the previous generation. Have a friend who is on his THIRD module including the one that came with his vehicle not a truck!

Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
I’m using that dual post (SAE+marine) X2 power. Good battery. It’s a relabeled Northstar, even says Northstar on the label. CCA , reserve, etc is identical. I like the extra posts because it make hooking up accessories easier.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
I agree, that Northstar Battery / X2 Battery looks like a good one. Nice stats and construction looks solid. Made in the great USA is an extra special bonus IMO!

Quick Reply: Optima Battery Worth It