Is it possible this forum would have a "like" feature

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:18 AM
onug
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just want to keep the pressure on and give my vote to a “Like” button as well. I find that feature on other forums more engaging and valuable than the Rep stuff.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:51 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 258 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by onug
I just want to keep the pressure on and give my vote to a “Like” button as well. I find that feature on other forums more engaging and valuable than the Rep stuff.
^^What he said.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:18 PM
IB Jose
Internet Brands
Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes please keep reminding me, it's coming.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:02 PM
onug
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Jose
Yes please keep reminding me, it's coming.
Awesome. And thanks for all the hard work you all do. I know there’s way more that happens behind the scene than we’ll ever know about...

Old 09-13-2019, 06:00 PM
zstvincent
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll second the vote for like button, maybe for Christmas lol

Old 09-13-2019, 09:21 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 377 Likes on 269 Posts
I've given up. "We are working on it" has been for quite some time.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:28 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I've given up. "We are working on it" has been for quite some time.
Okay..already..I like you..

Old 09-13-2019, 10:23 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 377 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Okay..already..I like you..
Haha....perfect

Old 09-17-2019, 12:00 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,509 Likes on 1,842 Posts
I probably won't get very many "likes" for saying this, but there are a couple of things I like about the FTE Rep system that are not available with the typical forum "like" system.

1. Uniqueness.

Among the genre of light truck and RV websites online, I've not encountered any other forum that utilizes a "Reputation" system. This makes the FTE forum distinct from the rest of the pack. Some folks might be dismissive of uniqueness for uniqueness sake, but to my mind the uniqueness is very much part of the brand identity that helps distinguish the FTE forum from the many others that exist online which cover the exact same topics about Ford trucks. Amidst those other forums, I'll bet very few have members who have logged over 162,616 posts, like @56panelford has.

How does one decipher what makes FTE... FTE? What black magic lies within these 1's and 0's that encourages a member to contribute an average of nearly 32 posts per day, for the last nearly 14 years? And when one begins pulling the elements of the forum apart, how does one know what unraveling extinguishes the magic? I purposely picked a proponent of change to illustrate the risks of change. A like system would be like everyone else, and everyone else isn't doing too well compared to FTE.

2. Privacy

The Rep system enables me to show another member that I like their post, without announcing to the rest of the world that I like their post. Unlike a "Like" system, which broadcasts exactly who all "liked" a particular post. I don't like that. I sometimes like a member's contribution or opinion or simply their expression of an opinion that I actually disagree with, but am yet impressed with and appreciate their presentation of argument. If I "Like" their post, and everyone else sees that I "Liked" their post, the presumption would naturally be that I agreed with their post... when in fact, I rather only appreciated the structure of their argument, or the depth of information they contributed to make their point... a point that I may entirely disagree with... but I will rep them all the same because they stood and delivered.

What the Rep system does is give that member public credit for being a meaningfully contributing member... without identifying what exact posts garnered their reputation... and without outing the members who vouched for their reputation... except to the member who received the reps. Likes don't do this.

3. Self Control

This may not relate to everyone, or to anyone, but for me, the Rep system has served as a measure of self control. I try to ensure that my post count never exceeds my point count. The rep system has helped impose a numerical metric of self control, that has helped me to reduce cluttering up threads with unnecessary comments or banter, because my self imposed restriction is that my post count should not exceed my rep count in points. That goal gives me pause before pressing "Post Quick Reply", causing me to consider whether or not the post I'm about to send will really help someone, or really offer a useful perspective, or really provide sought for information.

I'm not sure whether or not "likes" can be as useful as a measure of self control, because "likes" are often bestowed on clever quips in the immediate context, rather than useful content that will inure to the benefit of many members for the future to come. This opinion is based on the many other websites that have "Like" systems in place. I have no other comparisons of forums that have a "Rep" system in place, because FTE stands alone as the only forum I am personally aware of that has the Rep system.

One can be "like" everyone else.... or be unique.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:59 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
3. Self Control

This may not relate to everyone, or to anyone, but for me, the Rep system has served as a measure of self control. I try to ensure that my post count never exceeds my point count.
Well there goes that limitation being rendered moot with but a change of font color!

Stewart

Old 09-21-2019, 01:07 AM
zstvincent
Senior User
I withdraw my second from earlier, very good point, I'd much rather see someone type out that they agree but in their own words compared to a heart or thumb with a bunch of numbers next to it

Old 09-21-2019, 02:21 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,509 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Well there goes that limitation being rendered moot with but a change of font color!

Stewart
Actually, the change in font color requires even more self-restraint!

But I've always loved the side of the road signs stretched across acres of agriculture along 99, 101, and 5. "Feeling Tired?" "Aren't you hungry?" "How does a bowl of hot soup sound?" "Anderson's Split Pea Soup Inn 5 miles ahead"

Sequential signage like that always got my attention, but the most recent series really made my day. My week even.

And to bring this anecdote from cryptic to relevant, that is where a "like" system can kind of be a let down. The appreciation is all bunched up under one sign. As @zstvincent so aptly put it... "I'd much rather see someone type out they agree but in their own words compared to an icon with a bunch of numbers next to it."

Each member typing out his/her own words of agreement... is like reading a series of sequential signs along the highway, with each separate message building up to a conclusive whole... or perhaps an eye opening, mind changing debate.

Such as what has happened just now... in this very thread.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:26 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,701 Posts
I think we should just change oil at the correct intervals...lol

Old 09-21-2019, 11:57 AM
zstvincent
Senior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I think we should just change oil at the correct intervals...lol
Focus on what's important. Right? Lol

Old 09-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Sequential signage like that always got my attention, but the most recent series really made my day. My week even.

Stewart

Quick Reply: Is it possible this forum would have a "like" feature