1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

First impressions on driving your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:56 PM
woodsmoke
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

It started. It ran. It stopped. What more do you want?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:31 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow!....... I love that truck!..... I'm guessing it's woodsmoke grey?.....

Old 10-25-2018, 07:52 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Jafo56
Wow!....... I love that truck!..... I'm guessing it's woodsmoke grey?.....
Jafo, you like gray and silver trucks, don't you!

Old 10-26-2018, 01:48 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
My impression of the gray truck is pretty awesome!

Another memory I have is of the second Ford I bought it was a 76 or 77 2wd, I thought it was a good truck, 2 years old, I knew the previous owner. I never drove the truck till the day I picked it up. Wing window handle fell off when I touched it. and I realized it was a piece of ____ ! You can fill in the blanks. Engine ran good but it was a real rusty old gal in only 4 years. The metal just was not good on those Dents. Amazing there are some still around!
Regards,
Chris

Old 10-26-2018, 09:49 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 869 Likes on 424 Posts
Chris, you have certainly had a lot of vehicles in your life. I took a different approach. As a young man, I decided that owning new vehicles was expensive, and a waste of money, that for me, was in short supply. I determined to own only used vehicles and to hopefully get through life on only four.

Just before we were married, My wife and I bought a 1968 Plymouth VIP. We drove this car for 18 years as our sole means of transportation. It was a 2dr hardtop, and we brought our three children home from the hospital in it (no mini vans for us). Our next car was a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker. This car needed lots of expensive repairs to keep on the road, but we still drove it for about 10 years. Next up was a 1994 Oldsmobile LSS followed by a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora. These Oldsmobiles were great cars that took us down the road for many years and more than 500,000 miles. Sadly, the Aurora died in its prime--side-swiped while parked.

Our present vehicle is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has 157,000 miles on it now, but it's running strong and looks (to me at least) to be in almost like-new condition. I tell my wife it will be our last vehicle, but we'll see. I paid up for a lifetime warrantee for it. LOL.

...So, as you can see, I have already exceeded my goal of getting through life on only four vehicles, and I must admit too that we have had the occasional second car in our family. It is true though that none of our vehicles were purchased new. It is also an interesting fact that we still have the truck I learned to drive on and the car we took on our honeymoon. One of these days, I'll have to drag my old Plymouth out. I've been paying storage for it since 1988! I already have a fortune invested before the restoration even begins. LOL.

Jim

Old 10-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 774 Likes on 381 Posts
I always wanted a 50's truck. It took years to convince my wife's grandpa to sell me his. Then lots of years of inactivity.
A frame off rebuild and I have never done anything remotely like this.
First drive with my son. I only took it out of first for a few seconds. Now I never use first.

It's not always about the ride comfort. I see it as a link to the past. (Although, I wouldn't mind having one that has a newer drive train for fun.)
I still have a long ways to go, but I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:11 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I love my truck, just picked up a rubber mat to put in the bed to protect the wood and rails since I have been using it so much as a light parts hauler. 6 speed and the 4:10 rear make it a blast to beat on. I have to get some recent pictures, never think to take them since I am always driving it. No surprises on first impression of driving it other than there is no way 3 people are fitting in there even with the bench seat.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Folks,
These are great trucks and good comments too! We all have different views and feelings about them, Just as unique as the trucks!
Love the bales of straw on Joe's flatbed, the patina on Dave's 51 with all the upgrades!
Jim,
I have spent way too much on Ford cars and trucks! But always felt I got good value from the new ones!
Regards,
Chris

Old 10-26-2018, 09:05 PM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 556 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
Chris, you have certainly had a lot of vehicles in your life. I took a different approach. As a young man, I decided that owning new vehicles was expensive, and a waste of money, that for me, was in short supply. I determined to own only used vehicles and to hopefully get through life on only four.

Just before we were married, My wife and I bought a 1968 Plymouth VIP. We drove this car for 18 years as our sole means of transportation. It was a 2dr hardtop, and we brought our three children home from the hospital in it (no mini vans for us). Our next car was a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker. This car needed lots of expensive repairs to keep on the road, but we still drove it for about 10 years. Next up was a 1994 Oldsmobile LSS followed by a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora. These Oldsmobiles were great cars that took us down the road for many years and more than 500,000 miles. Sadly, the Aurora died in its prime--side-swiped while parked.

Our present vehicle is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has 157,000 miles on it now, but it's running strong and looks (to me at least) to be in almost like-new condition. I tell my wife it will be our last vehicle, but we'll see. I paid up for a lifetime warrantee for it. LOL.

...So, as you can see, I have already exceeded my goal of getting through life on only four vehicles, and I must admit too that we have had the occasional second car in our family. It is true though that none of our vehicles were purchased new. It is also an interesting fact that we still have the truck I learned to drive on and the car we took on our honeymoon. One of these days, I'll have to drag my old Plymouth out. I've been paying storage for it since 1988! I already have a fortune invested before the restoration even begins. LOL.

Jim

Boy Jim, we think alike. Not counting the work trucks, my 1st car was a ‘71 Pinto I bought in ‘74. 2nd car was a ‘84 suburban we bought in ‘84. 3rd car is a ‘94 suburban we bought in ‘96. Still have it, 267,000 miles.

Also, I got the ‘54 f100 in ‘78. A ‘55 Fairlane in ‘84. A ‘74 Pinto wagon in ‘97. And the ‘56 f350 in ‘14. Still have ‘em.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:50 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My impression....It's for adults only. Mine would have been bad news when I was in high school. I was a good kid but still...

Old 10-27-2018, 04:10 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
F-One,
For adults only! Well you may be right! Having a truck like that as a teen could have got you in some trouble.I think my dad knew how goofy I could get when out of sight!
I like the look of your truck. Don't hear much about the 289 engine on here either. Or maybe I just haven't ran into it much?
Rummaging through craigslist and found another 55 for sale, no engine or tranny.
Regards,
Chris

Old 10-28-2018, 07:48 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ReForder
I like this idea.

I own a 1950 F1 (not mid-fifties, but pretty much the same chassis underneath), but I'll chime in. Caveat, I have owned a few F150s, as well, so I had a baseline I expected for driving a pickup, albeit not an old one. This one is 49K original miles, unmolested F-1 with a Flathead 6 and 6V electrics. Just like she rolled out of the plant in 1950 (or 49).

First drive, I was alarmed at the ride quality and non-synchronized transmission. I knew it was sitting on very old leaf springs on all 4 corners and the transmission was the "upgraded" 4-speed crash box, but the banging, rattling, thumping, and grinding gears will wake you up for sure.

But after a few minutes it, I had the biggest smile on my face. I didn't care that it knocked my fillings out. The flathead 6 has such a great powerband and makes a lovely sound. It's not going anywhere quickly, but that's okay due to the suspension (or what's left of it). I still grind the gears occasionally, but that's part of the fun. This is not a "relaxing drive" until you get it into a cruising gear on a back road and can sit back for a few miles without traffic.

However, I love every minute I can spend behind the wheel of it.
ReForder,
Just wanted you to know that I smiled after reading your post. I can relate to that feeling. Today, things are different with my truck, but I must admit that every now and then, more then than now, I miss all the abnormalities.
Paul

Old 10-28-2018, 07:49 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Amen, I said

Old 10-28-2018, 08:01 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
That was fun!

Old 10-28-2018, 09:11 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 848 Likes on 480 Posts

Easter Sunday 1986. In high school and loving every minute of it. Still own the same truck and love driving it still

Quick Reply: First impressions on driving your truck?