Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'88 Bronco Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:50 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
Vinny - thanks for all the help you've given me so far. Here is a pic of the type of solenoid we have:

Looked online and they said to jump the two big posts with a screwdriver and that will determine if the solenoid is bad or not.

Here's the issue - when you turn the key, all you hear is a big CLICK. Jumping the posts just makes a lot of spark. No crank. The battery terminals and connections are brand new - the wiring to the solenoid has been removed and cleaned up with sandpaper. Battery has been on the trickle charger for a day and is fully charged up. Sound like a starter issue?

Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
oh and also another might be stupid question. Can anyone tell me or provide a picture of where the transmission dipstick should be? For the life of me I can't see anything poking up besides the engine oil dipstick, and I know the engine bay isn't that big.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:55 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the starter won't spin the engine, can you turn it manually?

Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by evan_nugget
Looked online and they said to jump the two big posts with a screwdriver and that will determine if the solenoid is bad or not.
Here's the issue - when you turn the key, all you hear is a big CLICK. Jumping the posts just makes a lot of spark. No crank. The battery terminals and connections are brand new - the wiring to the solenoid has been removed and cleaned up with sandpaper. Battery has been on the trickle charger for a day and is fully charged up. Sound like a starter issue?
If you had a solid screwdriver connection accross the 2 large terminals, and the starter did not spin, then you have a starter or battery/ground cable issue.
Sometimes it is easier to use a jumper cable to connect the 2 large post.
(FYI, jumping the large post does not test the solenoid)

Check the cables from the solenoid to the starter, and the ground connection on the engine coming from the battery for corrosion and lose crimps.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:12 AM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
The 92-96 trucks had the tranny dipstick over by heater box on pass. side.
Might be same for the prior years too?

Old 11-17-2018, 02:19 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Bruners4
If the starter won't spin the engine, can you turn it manually?
As soon as that happened I got so scared that maybe the engine was locked up. Thankfully a 15/16 socket on the harmonic balancer and breaker bar turns the engine like butter.

Originally Posted by vjsimone
If you had a solid screwdriver connection accross the 2 large terminals, and the starter did not spin, then you have a starter or battery/ground cable issue.
Sometimes it is easier to use a jumper cable to connect the 2 large post.
(FYI, jumping the large post does not test the solenoid)

Check the cables from the solenoid to the starter, and the ground connection on the engine coming from the battery for corrosion and lose crimps.
Thanks Vinny I'll be sure to check all the lines. Down at the starter looked pretty rusty - might be worth cleaning them up. Grounds too - I'll clean 'em all. I plan on checking the solenoid connections and starter connection with a test light to make sure power is getting where it needs to go.

Originally Posted by McLeod
The 92-96 trucks had the tranny dipstick over by heater box on pass. side.
Might be same for the prior years too?
Yeah that's what I figured as well, but its not there! Oh well, I guess I'll have to crawl underneath now that the ground dried up a bit. It SHOULD have one though somewhere, correct?

Thanks for the help everyone - hopefully I'll have some good news to share! If the solenoid checks out we'll be taking off the starter and getting it bench tested.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:08 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Are you positive you have a C-6 Tranny ?

Old 11-18-2018, 01:37 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
So everyone, THE BRONCO RUNS!!!!!!! Used a test light and confirmed the solenoid was actually the issue - oops on my part. One NAPA solenoid later and the big bronco woke up from its 2-year nap! Runs a little rough but I'm attributing that to two year old gas and old spark plugs. Next is full fluid flush and tune up. Stay tuned.

Originally Posted by vjsimone
Are you positive you have a C-6 Tranny ?
The trans code is K, found it on the door. Gear selections are PRND21. Pretty sure its the C-6. Still no sign of a dipstick Also does anyone know the fluid capacity and filter type for the C6? I want to make sure it's got fresh fluid before we try to drive it.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:50 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Also forgot to mention that the Check Engine light was going crazy too. Flashed what i assume are codes, then shut off. Great. I'm really looking forward to trying to pull OBD-I codes with a paperclip (NOT)......

Old 11-18-2018, 10:33 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
great news....

C6 - 4x4 - MERCON ATF – 13.5 quarts

If your dipstick was there, you would see it half way back and half way down on the passenger side of the engine block.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:36 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by evan_nugget
Also forgot to mention that the Check Engine light was going crazy too. Flashed what i assume are codes, then shut off. Great. I'm really looking forward to trying to pull OBD-I codes with a paperclip (NOT)......
Buy your brother a Christmas present...
Amazon Amazon

You should check those codes sooner than later..

Old 11-19-2018, 11:36 AM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Vinny, thank you for all the help you've given me. I fully intend to get all the codes and check them out - just not looking forward to the process. As for the dipstick, I'm sad to say there's no sign of it or the tube. I've talked to my old boss at my local mechanic shop - he's gonna order me one as well as Motorcraft plugs, wires, cap and rotor. It's slowly coming together.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:03 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Guys - I think i earned the stupid guy of the week award. Buried low on the passenger side underneath a pile of leaves and behind some wires was indeed a transmission dipstick...... Fluid looks old and brown. Tomorrow we're planning on oil change, trans flush, brake/power steering fluid change, and rad flush. With a fresh, full pan of ATF I'm not afraid to drive it up and down the road.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:54 AM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Great you found the stick.

When you say flush the tranny, do you mean flush, or dropping the pan ?
14 Ft-lb for the pan screws....

I recommend 5W-30 engine oil for your first winter....
What about the Transfer Case & Differentials ?

FYI, there are different types of Gasket Sealant for the transmission pan and the differential covers (If you have to remove them)

Old 11-20-2018, 10:51 AM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
I’m sorry for the terminology mix up, I’m just gonna drop the pan - not a full flush. The ATF on the dipstick had a brownish tint to it but didn’t smell burnt.

I also plan on changing the atf in the transfer case, and the rear diff oil. No LS in this bronco, just 3.55 open diff. I’m gonna flush the radiator and engine block out with a garden hose. I’ll keep in mind what you’ve told me regarding gasket sealer and oil weight.

Quick Reply: '88 Bronco Project