Sponsored by: DP Tuner

01 ford f350 7.3 fuel leak issue front of motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 AM
Justin_Indiana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 ford f350 7.3 fuel leak issue front of motor

having an issue with fuel leaking from the lines located at the drivers side front of the engine (right side front of engine if standing in front of truck). I took some pictures and i am hopeful someone can point me in the right direction and also tell me what parts I need and of course how to take it apart and put it back together again. I am attaching pictures as those will speak a lot better then I can. Sorry for the long post. Any help is much appreciated!

Pictures attached.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Your steel lines look very corroded, IMO I’d want to replace them. The metal clip lifts off and IIRC you’re going to need the gas line clips that slide over the line to unlock the spring to pull them apart. Personally, I’d inspect the line between the pump and the fuel bowl and either replace with OEM or fuel injection hose. I’d also look at the return line too...

Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Justin_Indiana
New User
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Your steel lines look very corroded, IMO I’d want to replace them. The metal clip lifts off and IIRC you’re going to need the gas line clips that slide over the line to unlock the spring to pull them apart. Personally, I’d inspect the line between the pump and the fuel bowl and either replace with OEM or fuel injection hose. I’d also look at the return line too...
I do see they have some corrosion, but everywhere else they are in great condition. Now, I think that the harbor freight kit that is for fuel lines "might" get them apart. https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-l...-pc-63595.html

My question is, what is the part # for the oring or seal that goes between those 2 connections? That is the problem i am running into. Would it be the dorman 904-497? https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-90592-904-497.aspx

To me, it does not look like the right kit and I already called the dealer and all they show is the entire brand new lines costing 260 bucks, which I can't afford right now. All I want to do for now is change out the oring in it to make it stop leaking. I will probably change everything out and install new later down the road, but for now money is tight and I just need to change it out.

Also, if nothing else if you knew the size of the oring that could work too.
Thanks for the help!

Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Justin_Indiana
New User

ok, so where the leak is coming from is the connection coming from the filter then down to the fuel pump. my question is, what o ring does it take to repair this with? I called dealer and they can only find the 2 brand new lines at $260 bucks, which of course i can't afford right now. I am simply needing to replace the oring inside to make it stop leaking. Will probably replace both of these short lines later on down the road, but for now just need the oring.

I found on harbor freight the "tool" which i think might work to get the fitting undone http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-li...-pc-63595.html

But, when looking around at orings I come across a dorman product that says it is suppose to be for this, but I would like to verify. Dorman part# is 904-497 www.dormanproducts.com/p-90592-904-497.aspx

Just don't look right to me, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-04-2018, 09:44 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Justin_Indiana
ok, so where the leak is coming from is the connection coming from the filter then down to the fuel pump. my question is, what o ring does it take to repair this with? I called dealer and they can only find the 2 brand new lines at $260 bucks, which of course i can't afford right now. I am simply needing to replace the oring inside to make it stop leaking. Will probably replace both of these short lines later on down the road, but for now just need the oring.

I found on harbor freight the "tool" which i think might work to get the fitting undone http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-li...-pc-63595.html

But, when looking around at orings I come across a dorman product that says it is suppose to be for this, but I would like to verify. Dorman part# is 904-497 www.dormanproducts.com/p-90592-904-497.aspx

Just don't look right to me, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help!
Give these guys a call they’ll get you squared away with the right orings: DieselOrings

IIRC, the metal clip end, (female end of the line) is the line that goes to the pump. You should be able to bypass that with 3/8” fuel injection line and fuel injection clamps. Just run new line from the pump to the male end of the steel line.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 AM
slowsure
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

These are the line disconnect tools I used just last weekend on the other end of those lines and they worked great.
Bought the at my local Oreally's...

Those "orings" dont look right to me either. Unless they get shoved up in the female connection? Not sure.

If your leak is coming from the fuel bowl connection...dripping down on the lines you show in the picture....shouldn't you fix that connection first?

Old 10-04-2018, 09:51 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Goodc all 350 on injection line to replace the corrugated line/s. OP, try andcrun the injection line as far on both pipes as you can and use atleast 2 clamps on each side. Return line not so much since no pressure..my 02 is wet there as well. Think, ill tackle it this wkend and follow up on this thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Justin_Indiana
New User

Give these guys a call they’ll get you squared away with the right orings: DieselOrings

IIRC, the metal clip end, (female end of the line) is the line that goes to the pump. You should be able to bypass that with 3/8” fuel injection line and fuel injection clamps. Just run new line from the pump to the male end of the steel line.

I literally just got off the phone with them and he stated that of course they do not sell any orings for that as it comes pre-made in the 2 hoses which means you would have to buy the 2 hoses, or do like you suggested and what he also suggested. So my question is, if I unclip just the single line that is leaking up at the front of the engine, then do I just run the high pressure 3/8 injection line from the front and also unclip the rear hose from the line and run the injection line to that as well and clamp at both ends? I don't see paying almost 200 bucks for 2 small hoses...lol

Thanks again for the help!

Old 10-04-2018, 10:39 AM
papadave
Freshman User
The lower hoses look fairly pristine, the upper hoses on the other hand look to be well past due, i might look at the upper hoses as the culprit...not as expensive too.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
First you’ll need to determine which hose is what i.e. return or pressure line. Then just unclip both ends, thread fuel injection line and reclamp the ends with fuel injection clamps, 2 on each end rotated at 180* of each other.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:36 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Listen to John. He has got you going in the right direction.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:28 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,957 Posts
I just got rid of all the factory quick disconnects on my fuel lines. I'll send you my old lines for free if you'll pay shipping. All of them were in good shape and not leaking when I took them off.

Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2018, 07:04 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Killer offer Noob..if he dont jump, i will..shio to 92870

Old 10-04-2018, 07:13 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,957 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Killer offer Noob..if he dont jump, i will..shio to 92870
LOL okay

Old 10-04-2018, 10:35 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
At least give the op a chance to respond...

Quick Reply: 01 ford f350 7.3 fuel leak issue front of motor