2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:29 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most women don't like it when a guy gets there too fast. But I wouldn't expect a 6.7L guy to understand that.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:10 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,740 Likes on 1,330 Posts
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
Most women don't like it when a guy gets there too fast. But I wouldn't expect a 6.7L guy to understand that.

Name:  OQ4QeVl.gif
Views: 20
Size:  8.59 MB

Old 01-30-2019, 06:55 AM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue6.2
With the big 3 all developing new gas engines I'm really curious. I'm hoping to see numbers north of 400hp 500ft/lbs without negatively affecting fuel economy. I know that is wishful thinking, but man that would be an awesome gas engine!
I think we are going to see real choice between rigs come 2020.
Imagine buying a truck keeping it for years and not worrying about fuel pumps, emissions and will the warranty be any good.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:23 AM
clark19
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive had a 2011 F250 SRW crew cab 6.7 (14k tow rating) for three years. EGR and DPF Deleted. I pull a 14k dump trailer with gravel, (gravel pit likes to dump 12.5k on me ,16k now). To keep things short i just ordered a 2019 F350 6.2 supercab dually with 4:30 gears (tow rating 15800). Have really enjoyed the deleted 6.7 and what it can do. It does squat pretty hard unless i air up the bags i have under it. Hoping dually will add some stability and 4:30 gears will make up some of that lost torque in the 6.2 compared to the 6.7.

Have put about 6k in parts including the $1400 spent on the delete, now has 155k miles on it.
Just my experiance not really a complaint. Going ford again.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:25 AM
clark19
New User
Just thought to add that its my daily, i bought it with 135k miles on it, and i dont hual that weight but a couple times a month for myself

Last edited by clark19; 02-02-2019 at 05:29 AM. Reason: More info
Old 02-02-2019, 05:17 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by clark19
Ive had a 2011 F250 SRW crew cab 6.7 (14k tow rating) for three years. EGR and DPF Deleted. I pull a 14k dump trailer with gravel, (gravel pit likes to dump 12.5k on me ,16k now). To keep things short i just ordered a 2019 F350 6.2 supercab dually with 4:30 gears (tow rating 15800). Have really enjoyed the deleted 6.7 and what it can do. It does squat pretty hard unless i air up the bags i have under it. Hoping dually will add some stability and 4:30 gears will make up some of that lost torque in the 6.2 compared to the 6.7.

Have put about 6k in parts including the $1400 spent on the delete, now has 155k miles on it.
Just my experiance not really a complaint. Going ford again.
You'll like the dually a lot and you'll be one of the few gas duallies out there. I put bags on mine for the really heavy loads.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:01 PM
clark19
New User
You'll like the dually a lot and you'll be one of the few gas duallies out there. I put bags on mine for the really heavy loads.
Yeah im going to pull the bags off the 250 before i turn it in and try to fit them to the 350. That and the wire and plug i ran from the batt to the rear bumper for my winch. Cant wait to see what the dually will do for the steep bumpy chip n seal road that you have to climp when leaving the rock quarry. Dump trucks are full tilt at the bottom to try and get a run at it. Ive been 1st gear and front tires off the ground in an old 2.5 ton dump truck. pucker factor =10

Old 07-31-2020, 08:15 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Hey Overkill;, Have you seen the new GT500? Now there is a need for speed vehicle right there. I have a 07 and it's nothing to hit 80 in second. The newer ones have more power than mine. I think around 100 H/P The price is fast also. There is one at my dealer around $$$ 90

Old 09-29-2020, 03:40 PM
morleyz
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Boy...this is one of those threads that really took on a life of its own. As the OP, I thought I'd muddy the waters for everyone using this thread to help with their decision making process.

So, earlier this year I traded in the 2017 F250 6.2 that I happily took over I-70 for a 2020 F-350 6.7. It's funny, having not experienced the same drive in both vehicles, I was happy with the performance of the 6.2, but now that I've driven both, well it's the 6.7 hands down. I couldn't go back. I think this quote from my wife sums it up: "When do we get to the steep grades that make the jet engine fans turn on?" Of course, we were already well past all the steep grades. No power loss. No falling in line behind the semis in the right lane. Never even felt the need to put the 10-speed into M or lock out any gears. Exhaust brake...oh what a wonderful thing to experience the first time. Oh, and really not a knock on the 6.2, when I bought the SCLB, I thought it was only the long bed that got you the 48 gal tank, but I discovered it was only 34 and was disappointed. We stopped for gas in Avon and in Grand Junction (a 235 mile stretch), not for convenience but because we needed to. This time, we stopped for fuel in Thompson Springs, UT only so we didn't have to stress on the upcoming 110 mile stretch of I-70 with no fuel.

Yes, I know I could win the lottery and have all sorts of problems with my fuel system or emissions, but hands down this 6.7 is a towing beast like nothing I have personally experienced.

Last edited by morleyz; 09-29-2020 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-29-2020, 04:03 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,631 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by morleyz
Boy...this is one of those threads that really took on a life of its own. As the OP, I thought I'd muddy the waters for everyone using this thread to help with their decision making process.

So, earlier this year I traded in the 2017 F250 6.2 that I happily took over I-70 for a 2020 F-350 6.7. It's funny, having not experienced the same drive in both vehicles, I was happy with the performance of the 6.2, but now that I've driven both, well it's the 6.7 hands down. I couldn't go back. I think this quote from my wife sums it up: "When do we get to the steep grades that make the jet engine fans turn on?" Of course, we were already well past all the steep grades. No power loss. No falling in line behind the semis in the right lane. Never even felt the need to put the 10-speed into M or lock out any gears. Exhaust brake...oh what a wonderful thing to experience the first time. Oh, and really not a knock on the 6.2, when I bought the SCLB, I thought it was only the long bed that got you the 48 gal tank, but I discovered it was only 34 and was disappointed. We stopped for gas in Avon and in Grand Junction (a 235 mile stretch), not for convenience but because we needed to. This time, we stopped for fuel in Thompson Springs, UT only so we didn't have to stress on the upcoming 110 mile stretch of I-70 with no fuel.

Yes, I know I could win the lottery and have all sorts of problems with my fuel system or emissions, but hands down this 6.7 is a towing beast like nothing I have personally experienced.
As I have stated many times on this forum, in the gas vs diesel discussions. The 6.2 is a very capable platform, and will do the job at hand.
BUT, does one want to go to a job (choose the 6.2)
OR, does one want to go on vacation (choose the 6.7)

Old 09-29-2020, 06:12 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru

Yeah, so I ended up going to a 6.7L too. Posted the story in one of the other threads but a few months ago got an amazing deal on a left over loaded 2019 F450 Lariat Ultimate, and also got a good trade-in on the F350 DRW 6.2L. The wife noted that when hauling the massive TC and towing the SxS at the same time, I went from white knuckling the steering wheel with two hands (in the F350), to calmly driving with one hand, thumb and index finger only on the steering wheel (in the F450). She's loved it because it lowered my stress levels to non-existent, thereby lowering her stress levels.

I spoke highly of the 6.2L and still do. It's a capable engine and got the job done. But it's not even in the same realm of performance as the 6.7L PSD.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:33 PM
Bill Tex
More Turbo
Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

But your 17 was the 6 speed. I just left diesel and went back to gas. No regrets. In fact, quite the opposite. Ten speed for gassers is a game changer.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:22 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

it's the 6.7 hands down. I couldn't go back.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:09 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, so I ended up going to a 6.7L too. Posted the story in one of the other threads but a few months ago got an amazing deal on a left over loaded 2019 F450 Lariat Ultimate, and also got a good trade-in on the F350 DRW 6.2L. The wife noted that when hauling the massive TC and towing the SxS at the same time, I went from white knuckling the steering wheel with two hands (in the F350), to calmly driving with one hand, thumb and index finger only on the steering wheel (in the F450). She's loved it because it lowered my stress levels to non-existent, thereby lowering her stress levels.

I spoke highly of the 6.2L and still do. It's a capable engine and got the job done. But it's not even in the same realm of performance as the 6.7L PSD.
What is it that makes the 6.7 calming vs what makes the 6.2 stressful? I don’t quite get why one requires 2 hands while the other only requires 2 fingers. Better power steering pump in the diesel?

Old 09-30-2020, 05:45 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PentaPop
What is it that makes the 6.7 calming vs what makes the 6.2 stressful? I don’t quite get why one requires 2 hands while the other only requires 2 fingers. Better power steering pump in the diesel?
Can't tell if you're being serious but I'll assume you are. Drive a significantly underpowered and overloaded truck up a mountain, around sharp corners, on frost heaved Alaska roads. You tend to white knuckle and 2-hand the steering wheel. Change to an overpowered, underloaded truck on those same roads... easy driving.

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?