2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 03:58 PM
stattlich1
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Settled for the 6.2

Old 12-31-2018, 06:25 AM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crabbman P
Not sure where these dealers are that have 6.2s only as unicorns. My dealer has 66 6.2s in stock and 59 6.7s at this moment.

https://www.prestonford.com/search/new-f-250-super-duty-hurlock-md/?cy=21643&tp=new&md=101
My two closest dealers.

Lithia Ford in Missoula Montana.

Has 9 2019 F350s. All with 6.7s and most of these are Lariats, King Ranches and Limiteds
Has 12 2019 F250s. 9 are with 6.7s and the 3 6.2s are work trucks

Bell McCall Ford in Hamilton Montana didn't have any F350s. (Gonna have to call them and find out why)

In fact I checked your dealer Preston Ford and he had 44 F350s
only 11 had 6.2s and 9 of those had service bodies on them and the other three had NO bed. All 11 were work trucks. None suitable for non work purchase. Your dealer didn't even have a useable F350 Unicorn, lol

Old 12-31-2018, 06:56 AM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid
My two closest dealers.

Lithia Ford in Missoula Montana.

Has 9 2019 F350s. All with 6.7s and most of these are Lariats, King Ranches and Limiteds
Has 12 2019 F250s. 9 are with 6.7s and the 3 6.2s are work trucks

Bell McCall Ford in Hamilton Montana didn't have any F350s. (Gonna have to call them and find out why)

In fact I checked your dealer Preston Ford and he had 44 F350s
only 11 had 6.2s and 9 of those had service bodies on them and the other three had NO bed. All 11 were work trucks. None suitable for non work purchase. Your dealer didn't even have a useable F350 Unicorn, lol
Ok I see your point in the 350s. I was looking at the 250s where most of the gassers would be found. Not many gas 350s to be sure in stock. My closest dealer only stocks from 1 to 3 Super Duties total at any given time lol, a very small dealer. Preston is in the top 50 in Ford sales, or so they say. Good inventory in F series and decent pricing. My son bought an F150 there in April and then I bought my 250 there a month later.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:45 AM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User
Originally Posted by Crabbman P
Ok I see your point in the 350s. I was looking at the 250s where most of the gassers would be found. Not many gas 350s to be sure in stock. My closest dealer only stocks from 1 to 3 Super Duties total at any given time lol, a very small dealer. Preston is in the top 50 in Ford sales, or so they say. Good inventory in F series and decent pricing. My son bought an F150 there in April and then I bought my 250 there a month later.
It makes you wonder who the dealers are targeting. The 9 F350s at Lithia in Missoula were 70 and 80 thousand dollar trucks. Limiteds, Lariats, King Ranches all with 6.7s. Now these aren't trucks you buy to haul your caterpillar around to do grading work or you go beat up on a job site. These, it would seem to me, are well off or retired people trucks, large 5th wheel trucks or status trucks. These aren't even for the most part, lift them, put on big tires and desmog them kids trucks, cause there too much darn money. They sell a lot of them, IMHO, because it's all they carry. Which goes back to the they carry what they make the most money off of theory. Now I am retired, do okay, have a small trailer and don't need a diesel, the 6.2 gasser is great. But if I full timed with a large heavy 5er and we spent a lot of time out, I would probably go with a Lariat diesel. As I mentioned earlier it's easier to sell someone more truck than they need than less AND people will buy what you show them. If everything you've got is a diesel, they'll buy a diesel. But that fact, in and of itself, doesn't mean a 6.2 gasser wouldn't work for you.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:00 AM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
∆∆∆ I can safely say with the 80k trucks they are not targeting this old boy lol. That would be above my paygrade, as they say.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:02 AM
Heathen Dave
Junior User
When I was looking for my truck I found it hard to find a 6.2 on several lots. I was told by 2 different dealerships that they had a hard time keeping them in stock. The gas trucks were just selling faster then the diesels. Could be dealership bull****, but who knows.

I own a 6.2 and its fantastic. I have nothing against the 6.7 or the 6.7 owners. I just know that I preferred the 6.2 since it would handle the towing that I needed it for plus I got to look around for $8000+ in more creature comfort upgrades since I passed on the 6.7

Old 12-31-2018, 08:18 AM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
The reason dealers keep the expensive loaded trucks in stock is for one simple reason, profits. Most buyers purchase on impulse. If you don't believe me ask a sales person how many people were in for service or just drove by to look and ended up buying.
There is a hell of a lot more profit in a loaded diesel Limited, King Ranch, etc compared to a XL or XLT.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:32 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid
It makes you wonder who the dealers are targeting. The 9 F350s at Lithia in Missoula were 70 and 80 thousand dollar trucks. Limiteds, Lariats, King Ranches all with 6.7s. Now these aren't trucks you buy to haul your caterpillar around to do grading work or you go beat up on a job site. These, it would seem to me, are well off or retired people trucks, large 5th wheel trucks or status trucks. These aren't even for the most part, lift them, put on big tires and desmog them kids trucks, cause there too much darn money. They sell a lot of them, IMHO, because it's all they carry. Which goes back to the they carry what they make the most money off of theory. Now I am retired, do okay, have a small trailer and don't need a diesel, the 6.2 gasser is great. But if I full timed with a large heavy 5er and we spent a lot of time out, I would probably go with a Lariat diesel. As I mentioned earlier it's easier to sell someone more truck than they need than less AND people will buy what you show them. If everything you've got is a diesel, they'll buy a diesel. But that fact, in and of itself, doesn't mean a 6.2 gasser wouldn't work for you.
my last 3 trucks were lariat ultimates, 2 king ranch before before that, and lariats before them. All used for construction...pulling backhoe, pipe racks,etc. there’s no reason you have to beat trucks up because you work on job sites. It comes down to the person and how they operate to begin with. Granted I don’t see a lot of the higher end trucks on job sites but I still see nice organized pickups, and junk. I see more high end trucks ‘beat up’ on the agricultural side. But their farms are usually precursor to what their equipment is like.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:43 PM
Dwightdr
Mountain Pass
I was thinking of the hours I actually towed the past couple of years and they barely added up to around 40 hours per year. This in itself is justification to not buy a diesel. The rest of the time it is a grocery getter and school bus for my kids. So this pushed me tight into ordering a 6.2 today .

Old 12-31-2018, 03:09 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 531 Likes on 300 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwightdr
I was thinking of the hours I actually towed the past couple of years and they barely added up to around 40 hours per year. This in itself is justification to not buy a diesel. The rest of the time it is a grocery getter and school bus for my kids. So this pushed me tight into ordering a 6.2 today .
Smart choice Dwight.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:22 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Just for fun I asked my employees who have to drive both diesel and gas pickups for my businesses, which they prefer. Unanimously they said the gas pickups, and they only drive the diesels out of necessity once the gassers all gone. For me its not even a contest, each time i have to drive a diesel I curse it, and try my best to not be stuck in one of them.
Which is why the trucks in the future will only be gas engines, despite how much they have to tow. The dealer I use carries about 1/4 diesels to 3/4 gas pickups in stock, because they sell mostly gas engines.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroo
But if your driving a gas motor in a platform that created for the diesel, why not get the f150 with 3.5? 13k conventional towing capacity, 21mpg combined..wow. I'm sure its cheaper than an equally equipped super duty also. What is the f250 conventional towing capacity with the 6.2? Under 13k unless you get the 4.30...but my god that would get what? 10mpg unloaded?
Well for one the F-juan-fiddy is a short wheel base. I would-ah kept my Tundra. But got tired of white knuckle driving when pulling either 33' 8.5k TT or 9.2k 20' trailer loaded with tractor and cutter.
The F-250 pulls like a boss around the grades of Giddings, Schulenberg Austin area with ease. Tundra not so much. Don't worry about being pushed around with X-winds, Class 8 trucks etc. As I told my dealer when upgrading tractor, just cause it can don't mean yah should.
So a 150 may handle 13k, just can it can don't mean one should. Marketing is a powerful Bernays effect on us all.
My SD stays parked most time, we use the 4Rnr as our DD.
When Goldie does go to work, I'm ah grinning
MPGs empty? bout 13.6 to 14.8 or so. Bout same as on Tundra. And don't expect great MPGs out of a heavy work truck.
When they make a Prius able to tow 12k safely on a long wheel base I may be all in...lol...though I'd prefer another Tundra crew max with 6.75' bed.

Last edited by Chinookman; 01-01-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: speln
Old 01-01-2019, 02:09 PM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by zeroo
But if your driving a gas motor in a platform that created for the diesel, why not get the f150 with 3.5? 13k conventional towing capacity, 21mpg combined..wow. I'm sure its cheaper than an equally equipped super duty also. What is the f250 conventional towing capacity with the 6.2? Under 13k unless you get the 4.30...but my god that would get what? 10mpg unloaded?
If "the platform" was created for the diesel, why is the standard motor in both F250s and F350s the 6.2 gas? You would think if it was "created for the "diesel" the diesel would be the standard engine.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:36 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy
Just for fun I asked my employees who have to drive both diesel and gas pickups for my businesses, which they prefer. Unanimously they said the gas pickups, and they only drive the diesels out of necessity once the gassers all gone. For me its not even a contest, each time i have to drive a diesel I curse it, and try my best to not be stuck in one of them.
Which is why the trucks in the future will only be gas engines.
What is the reasons for their preference of the gasser over the diesel?

Old 01-01-2019, 10:56 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Morleyz - I've got the same type setup here. My F250 is 75% commuter truck and 25% 5th wheel hauler with minimal elevation issues 98% of the time. Yeah, the higher the grade the slower she goes but does anyone really need to pull 10K+ LBS over 55MPH anyhow? I generally give myself a little head start by leaning on the gas a bit coming into a big hill vs. punching it later when I'm slowed down. My wife got a little nervous about the engine RPMs wrapping up a bit in 3rd gear but the truck has plenty of pulling power when I need it. I haven't put it to the test by towing in higher elevations (>5K FT), but I think she'll be fine most of the time.

As much as I would have liked to buy a diesel for the torque, I just couldn't justify the expense. $10K added to the purchase price and higher maintenance costs put me off too much. Did you know there's as much as an 88 cent per gallon difference between Regular gasoline and Diesel in Texas?!! Now multiply that times that big 48 gallon tank. If you fill up once per week, the Diesel owner is going to pay over $2,000.00 more per year for fuel - Yikes!

Gas Buddy

Last edited by PackerBacker_TX; 01-01-2019 at 10:56 PM. Reason: URL update

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?