1985 e350 Econoline - HVAC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 04:40 PM
pappyl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1985 e350 Econoline - HVAC Problems

Hello Everyone - hope you can help me out

I have older 1985 Econoline with 6.9 Diesel.

The HVAC fan seems ONLY to work on AC, when I switch it to heater or defrost, the 3spd fan turns off. Fan works fine on the AC.

It WAS working on defrost/heat until I switched it over to AC.

As far as I can tell this is all cable driven. I think the plenum door changes OK, but cant verify without the fan working.

I am unable to find any diagrams, reference info - does anyone have diagrams on this damn plenum or an idea why the fan would turn off?

I did notice the slider control has a fan switch control on it - switch depresses on AC position, but not on heat or defrost.

Appreciate the help!

Old 06-29-2018, 02:15 PM
pappyl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem fixed.

DIAGNOSIS
- Found that engine side (heater) fan not working on defrost/heat. There is an inside fan which runs when on AC - that works OK.
- wired fan motor direct - worked.
- used multimeter - found no power coming on to the engine side fan at the plug
- traced back to the heater control - found power at the plug at the HVAC control module.
- Cut and replaced the wire from the plug to the other plug, used but connectors and shrikwrap tubing to seal it up. NOTE: I drilled a hole passenger side through firewall and put in grommet for running new line (as per below)
- Wire was cut where it went in through the firewall beside the heater hose.
- now working
NOTE: When hvac unit on AC, the inner fan works and the engine side is disabled. The engine side works when the hvac unit is on DEFROST or HEAT.

ALSO,
Had a problem with the HEAT/COLD damper door slider cable - the cable clip broke at the HVAC unit.
Used a plastic tie and a hose clamp around the cable sheath to hold - managed to pull the cable in tight to the swing arm without a problem. Finding a cable at wreckers or ordering one - good luck

There you have it - in case you have this proiblem...

Old 06-30-2023, 08:57 AM
WatsonWarrior
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pappyl
Problem fixed.

DIAGNOSIS
- Found that engine side (heater) fan not working on defrost/heat. There is an inside fan which runs when on AC - that works OK.
- wired fan motor direct - worked.
- used multimeter - found no power coming on to the engine side fan at the plug
- traced back to the heater control - found power at the plug at the HVAC control module.
- Cut and replaced the wire from the plug to the other plug, used but connectors and shrikwrap tubing to seal it up. NOTE: I drilled a hole passenger side through firewall and put in grommet for running new line (as per below)
- Wire was cut where it went in through the firewall beside the heater hose.
- now working
NOTE: When hvac unit on AC, the inner fan works and the engine side is disabled. The engine side works when the hvac unit is on DEFROST or HEAT.

ALSO,
Had a problem with the HEAT/COLD damper door slider cable - the cable clip broke at the HVAC unit.
Used a plastic tie and a hose clamp around the cable sheath to hold - managed to pull the cable in tight to the swing arm without a problem. Finding a cable at wreckers or ordering one - good luck

There you have it - in case you have this proiblem...
I can't seem to find the actual wire that supplies the climate control with power. What color is it?
From what I can tell the fan speed selector runs a loom to the fan motors resistor. One of those wires from the fan speed selector runs to a ground. I thought it was the green and white coming to the other side of the climate control but it either is not it or the climate control center is bad.
Thanks...