6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.7 Hard start/no throttle issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:45 PM
VALLEYPOWERSTROKES
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 Hard start/no throttle issues

2008 F350 6.7L came to me with a shop telling the customer it needs a new engine. I turned the engine over and heard a knocking from the passenger side of the engine. Pulled the valve cover and found number 3 exhaust rocker ball retainer broke and the rocker was causing the knocking noise. I inspected the other rockers/pushrods etc.. and replaced #3 exhaust rocker, pushrod, plastic retainer and rocker bridge. I tried to start it after the repair and it was still hard start long crank. When it would start there was no throttle. Rail pressure was 5000-6000psi at idle and low pressure fuel psi at the fuel cooler was 7psi. Fuel trim for 5 of the 8 injectors were -15 to -30. I pulled all 8 injectors and found #3 injector tip looked like something smooshed the nipple at the end of the nozzle.
I replaced all 8 injectors and fuel lines. Bled the air out of the fuel and tried to start it. Same thing, no throttle response and it runs like its not getting fuel. I pulled the EGR valve and the truck smokes like its on fire but I have throttle response and it actually runs decent. I tested the EGR valve from 0% to 100% with scan tool and it opens and closes all the way when commanded. EBP sensor read 14.5psi and desired EBP was only 5. So I removed sensor and tube and cleaned it out, then reinstalled. Same symptoms. Any Ideas? DPF is deleted. The driver drove the truck with lack of power until they lost throttle response then took it to a shop. ANy Ideas on where to look next? Im stumped! Why does it run so well with the egr valve removed?

Old 06-13-2018, 11:13 PM
VALLEYPOWERSTROKES
New User
Got a code for number 3 glow plug. I should probably pull that plug. I wonder if thats what hit my injector, a piece of that glow plug. Still doesn't explain why the engine wont run worth a heck.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:22 AM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you sure it's a 6.7? The 2008 came with a 6.4.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:25 AM
VALLEYPOWERSTROKES
New User
Haha I meant 6.4. Thanks.

Im gonna check for exhaust restriction this morning. I dont remember seeing any smoke out the tailpipe. This truck has been one thing after another. I guess thats what happens when you run something til it quits.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:11 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by VALLEYPOWERSTROKES
2008 F350 6.7L came to me with a shop telling the customer it needs a new engine. I turned the engine over and heard a knocking from the passenger side of the engine. Pulled the valve cover and found number 3 exhaust rocker ball retainer broke and the rocker was causing the knocking noise. I inspected the other rockers/pushrods etc.. and replaced #3 exhaust rocker, pushrod, plastic retainer and rocker bridge. I tried to start it after the repair and it was still hard start long crank. When it would start there was no throttle. Rail pressure was 5000-6000psi at idle and low pressure fuel psi at the fuel cooler was 7psi. Fuel trim for 5 of the 8 injectors were -15 to -30. I pulled all 8 injectors and found #3 injector tip looked like something smooshed the nipple at the end of the nozzle.
I replaced all 8 injectors and fuel lines. Bled the air out of the fuel and tried to start it. Same thing, no throttle response and it runs like its not getting fuel. I pulled the EGR valve and the truck smokes like its on fire but I have throttle response and it actually runs decent. I tested the EGR valve from 0% to 100% with scan tool and it opens and closes all the way when commanded. EBP sensor read 14.5psi and desired EBP was only 5. So I removed sensor and tube and cleaned it out, then reinstalled. Same symptoms. Any Ideas? DPF is deleted. The driver drove the truck with lack of power until they lost throttle response then took it to a shop. ANy Ideas on where to look next? Im stumped! Why does it run so well with the egr valve removed?
did you check rocker push rods to see if they were bent?

how is the oil level....the correct check is a mid way on the guage...seeing a full oil guage becusse the oil covers everything is misleading. Wipe the dip stick down a check a few times by backing out the dip stick a few inches.

your power problems has all the indications of diluted oil which is now overfilled.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:09 PM
73F700
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It runs better with the EGR valve removed... This does two things, open up the exhaust and the intake. If the exhaust has been deleted I would focus on the intake. I assume you have already covered the filter. Open the lower intercooler boot close to the rad - see what you find. Should be dry, could be full of oil.

EBP of 14.5 psi is normal I think as the sensor isn't calibrated to your atmospheric pressure.