1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Audiopile Finally Sounds Good!!! (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:01 PM
rebel_gtc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BiggusDiscuss are you still here?

Old 07-23-2004, 12:59 AM
jw_in_houston
New User
Ok.. I'm bumping this thread becuase it has great information except...

Has anyone confirmed the Ohm of each coil on the factory sub??

Old 07-23-2004, 02:45 AM
rebel_gtc
Senior User
4 Ohm if i'm not mistaken but I think it's written in here somewhere. problem is some of the pics are already gone

Old 07-23-2004, 02:55 AM
rebel_gtc
Senior User
Originally Posted by southprk
Your factory is dual voice coil, yes - not an attempt to raise the bar in quality, it's simply cheaper to make 2 smaller amps, than 1 large amp. If you replaced it, you'll know if it's dual voice coil - it will have 2 sets of + and - terminals. You could possibly bridge it onto your sub, that would give you about 100 watts to your sub @ 2 ohms - I would seriously recommend replacing that amp, or using a dual voice coil sub though. MTX makes a powered enclosuer that fits right into the oem housing. It's kind of expensive for what you get (mediocre amp, mediocre sub, mediocre enclosure) but it fits right into the OEM spot - more important than sound quality for some. You can pick it up on ebay for around $200 (definately cheaper than buying an amp, hi-low box, new sub, new enclosure, etc!)

MTX Subwoofer

That one isn't powered, the powered one is a bit more expensive
If you don't mind what is the exact model of the MTX powered enclosure that fits into the OEM spot of the 2004 EB Expe?

Old 07-24-2004, 09:56 AM
jw_in_houston
New User
Well I posted this in the audio forum but since I posted the question on this thread.. I thought I should give the answer for future generations..

The stock sub is dual voice coil, each coil measures 1.2ohm. I don't know much about the stock amp, crutchfield says puts out 30w to each voice coil.

I wanted to replace the sub but other than a dual voice coil with each coil at 2ohm, I'm not sure what would work.. and if the amp is expecting to see 1.2 to 1.5 ohm (crutchfied thought it was a 3 ohm load - which the sub is if wired right) and I give it 2 ohms I'm losing 25% of its output power which is already marginal even for an 8" driver.

Perhaps the solution is to replace the sub and amp.

Old 08-21-2004, 04:04 PM
gregeas
New User
I just ordered the Polk db570's for my 03 EB Expy with the Audiophile system. Strangely, the Crutchfield rep tried to talk me out of these speakers, arguing that the Audiophile amp would not power them (he said the speakers need 6W/channel, but that the Audiophile outputs less than that).

I assume, based on this thread, that I shouldn't have a problem with the Polks. Have these speakers held up for the early adopters?

Also, do I need any unusal tools for the install beside the things Crutchfield supplies?

Old 08-23-2004, 12:14 AM
rebel_gtc
Senior User
The Polk db570's works great and I'm not sure if the Audiophile has a amp that powers their speakers.

All I know is that there is a seperate mono amp that powers the OEM subwoofer.

Aside from the usual tool you'll need the pryer that crutchfield is selling.

By the way feel free to use my referal code for crutchfield pehch-b5rd2-qawwp

Old 08-25-2004, 08:02 AM
gregeas
New User
Ah, I figured out why Crutchfield didn't recommend the Polks: they marked me down as having an Explorer, not Expedition. I think the only problem is that the MasterSheet refers to the Explorer... Looking forward to getting these installed over the weekend.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:14 PM
rebel_gtc
Senior User
Good LUCK!!!!

Old 08-27-2004, 09:09 AM
jrgreen
New User
expyjim-

Did you do your speaker install yet?

Old 09-04-2004, 12:24 PM
jimwebermn
New User
04 expy eddie b

Originally Posted by Andy-Expy03
Disclaimer: *** I do not nor does anyone I know work for any of the companies mentioned below. Nor do I own any stock in them, etc... Just passing on something that worked well for me.***

After spending a cool $38K for my '03 EB Expy with audiophile stereo and factory DVD, I found myself a little disappointed with the sound of the music. The bass was really pretty nice, but the mids and highs were muted and annoying - especially since my wife and I are both music nuts.

I have always heard that factory speakers leave something to be desired - as do factory tuners, amps, cd's, etc... But I like the integration of the factory stereo to the buttons on the steering wheel and to the DVD system. I decided the head unit was staying, but new speakers couldn't hurt.

So I called Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) and talked to one of their car stereo guys. Not being very knowledgable in brands of speakers these days, I asked him for a recommendation. The first words out of his mouth were Polk Audio. He recommended two pair of Polk db570's for the front and rear doors. He also sold me a tool to pry up the panels without breaking the fasteners.

$100 for the first pair, $50 for the second pair (buy one, get the second for 50% off), $9 for the pry tool, $11 for shipping. Total: $170 delivered to my door in two days.

The Crutchfield kit came with free detailed instructions customized with pictures for the '03 Expedition. The were dead-on. Told me exactly where every fastener was and in which order to remove things. Crutchfield also included free adapters to connect the factory wiring harnesses to the new speakers without cutting, stripping or soldering any wires. IMPRESSIVE! (I might have saved a little money by shopping around for the Polks, but those free instructions and adapters were worth at least as much as the speakers to me...)

I'm no professional, but I did install a few car stereos in my younger days. This whole thing took me about 1:45. The first door taking about 45 minutes. The second took 30 minutes. The third and fourth taking about 15 each. It was really easy! Surprisingly so actually.

When I take on a stereo project, I usually expect to end up making a trip to Radio Shack, the dealership, or to a professional installer when I realize that something's missing or broken, but this was a lay-up. All I needed were: a philips screwdriver, a T-20 Torx driver, a 7mm nutdriver, needle-nosed pliars, the pry tool, and a roll of electrical tape (to hold the wires close to the speaker so they don't hang in the way of the window glass.)

The sound is really nice! I don't want to exaggerate or overstate it, but the improvement was more than worth the time and $170. Now the highs and mids are smooth and crystal clear to match the full lows from the factory subwoofer. DVD's are incredible! Turn on the DSP 'hall echo' setting and put in an action movie. Wow...

Not surprising, the factory speakers in the back doors were flimsy pieces of paper with whizzer cones for tweeters. The front speakers were, however, nicer two-way units with real, separate tweeters. They were also in enclosed plastic boxes. Much nicer than expected from the factory, but still no match for the clarity of the Polks.

I'm sure there are other speakers that would sound just as good or better than the Polks, but i haven't tried them so I can't say. If you want to try this yourself, just make sure the replacements are the right size - including depth and how far the tweeter protrudes. The Polks fit with only minor adjustments made with pliars and 3" of electrical tape.

If anyone wants the gory details, reply with your email address and I'll let you know a few tricks I learned.

Andy
Amigo,

I have a new 04 expy eddie b. Bass is great, but the door panel drivers suck. They kind of scream at you. You replaced, how was the door panel removal? Little worried about busting something.

Regards

Jim W

Old 09-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Shaggy29
Freshman User
Jim,

Go back to the beginning of this thread. There are step by step instructions to get the panels off. The 04 and the 03 have the same door panels.

Make sure you read through this whole thread prior to starting. I posted in the middle somewhere about one step that should of been reversed to lessen the chance to break a clip.

Good Luck - let us know how you do.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:36 AM
jrgreen
New User
I just put a set of Infiniti Kappa 5x7's in mine. You just need to put a few washers behind the speaker holes, since they are deeper than the polks. They do sound better than the Polks, they were returned to CC.

Old 10-09-2004, 12:42 PM
gregeas
New User
I ended up making the upgrade a bit more complicated than I intended. Call it upgraditis. I returned the Polks 570s I bought from Crutchfield and got four Infinity Kappa 572.5CFs instead. Then I got a Zapco 360.4 amp to drive everything. The great thing about this amp is that it fits perfectly in the jack compartment behind the third row. I will store the jack under the second row from now on. (The install for all of this was over my head, so I had a shop do it for me.)

I have to say, the upgraded system is pretty amazing: you can feel the power and clarity, even at low volumes. The highs are very impressive... The only thing left to do is upgrade the subwoofer, which is clearly the weak link at this point. (I heard it alone without the speakers playing, and it sounds like mud!)

I don't listen to music at super-high volumes -- esp with wife and baby riding along -- but I do want very high quality at mellow levels. I've gotten what I wanted. Wow.

Oh yeah: I have an 03 EB with the Audiophile system and DVD.

Last edited by gregeas; 10-09-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:44 PM
steveg1006
New User
More than a year ago, BiggusDiccus posted a step-by-step on how to replace the factory sub on an 03 Expy.

By now, the pictures have expired.
I'd love to see a re-post with pictures...because I'm about to do the same thing! This time on an '04.

Any way I could see those pics again?

Also...a few questions:

I'd like to use a JL-Audio 8" sub, with a 250 watt JL Audio amp. Will the sub fit? I mean, is there about 5-6" depth in the compartment? And, would a 10" X 7" amp fit? And last of all, do you think the factory wiring harness will handle the power?

Just wondering...I'd rather tackle this than the installers...because even though they're great....their solutions always tends to be "we'll make an enclosure out of fiberglass. And oh yeah, that takes 2 days of labor!"

$$$$$!!!!

Thanks

Steve

Last edited by steveg1006; 10-14-2004 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Audiopile Finally Sounds Good!!! (long post)