Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need suggestions for improved towing (2000 6.8L V10 4x4)(Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:05 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 329 Likes on 250 Posts

Whoops, Meant to put this on my alignment post.

from the Ford factory service books.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:05 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Well I am a Structural Engineer pushing around my pencils all day, so I will say this:

I would never stack up lift blocks....not because I have evidence it's bad but because there are better ways to do it.

I just looks cheezy.

Now for the pencil pushing part:
Torque....lever arm, te​​​​​nsel strength, and fatigue.
​​​​​

​​​​​The taller blocks will cause higher forces to be applied to the leaf springs. Is that good or bad I do not know. As long as the springs can take the higher forces and u bolts and nuts will handle the higher tension and are designed for a little higher resistance to fatigue all is good.

imagine....as I sit pushing my pencils around the block was 5 feet tall. The torque applied to springs would be substantially higher than the 2" extra in this case.

will this setup work.....yes
does it cause squirrely behavior? No
will taller blocks cause more spring wrap...yes

just my 20,000 cents because it' hard pushing my pencils around.

EDIT: I have to note that taller blocks can make things squirrely. The mass centroid is moved up when you lift a vehicle. Moving that center of mass makes a vehicle more susceptible to other forces....wind, bumps etc.

I don' think an extra 2" will make a difference...or even 4" but at some point the vehicle will exhibit bending forces on components causing instability.

I would be confident in saying a 5 ft lift would have stability issues.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
so you see no issue running those tall blocks
My post was in response to your specific assertion that he was an engineer that had no real world experience.

OK, now I’m done posting here. I’m really hoping the OP can see through all of this, who is doing it right and who is recommending things based on beliefs.
THIS is what my previous post was addressing. Pirate doesn't post because that's what he thinks might work. He posts from real world experience of success and failure, and fixing failures. To demean and belittle his knowledge does an injustice to someone looking for help, which Pirate is trying to provide. Maybe instead of attacking him for his post, engage him in conversation to see what information he can provide to clear any misconceptions, or maybe see how he qualifies his response to see how it relates to the why's and where for's.

Getting angry (at least it seems like you're angry) doesn't do anything for the thread.

Stewart.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
In order to facilitate conversation and not arguing like I posted above.....

Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
so you see no issue running those tall blocks
Pirate, I do have to say, everything I've learned over the years says that using stacked blocks in the rear is a no-no. I had a friend who almost shot his stacked block out from under his axle.

As 1 Ex Camper stated, are you saying it's ok to run stacked blocks in the rear?

Stewart

Old 05-23-2018, 06:38 PM
Skygrasper
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of good info. Thanks everyone.

A few takeaways so far:

1 - While the lift blocks in the rear may not be impacting the wander or handling of the truck, ideally they would be replaced with proper sized leaf springs.
1.1 - If I keep the lift blocks, I should remove the "Add a spring" springs (both front and rear), and replace the snubbers on the axle wrap bars (bottom springs, not in the pack).
1.2 - If I choose to replace the lift blocks, ATS can help me find a set of leaf springs that will work for my application.
2 - Check the track bar bushing and drop bracket bolts
3 - Once the springs are sorted out, I should look at replacing the Rough Country shocks with something better.
4 - With the springs and shocks sorted out, I should find a shop familiar with straight axle vehicles, and have them set the Caster and Toe.
5 - A rear sway bar may not be necessary, but would not hurt (aside from making the ride a bit rougher for the rear passengers)
6 - A good WD hitch will help, but may not be "required" for this weight of trailer

Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Skygrasper
Lots of good info. Thanks everyone.

A few takeaways so far:

1 - While the lift blocks in the rear may not be impacting the wander or handling of the truck, ideally they would be replaced with proper sized leaf springs.
1.1 - If I keep the lift blocks, I should remove the "Add a spring" springs (both front and rear), and replace the snubbers on the axle wrap bars (bottom springs, not in the pack).
1.2 - If I choose to replace the lift blocks, ATS can help me find a set of leaf springs that will work for my application.
2 - Check the track bar bushing and drop bracket bolts
3 - Once the springs are sorted out, I should look at replacing the Rough Country shocks with something better.
4 - With the springs and shocks sorted out, I should find a shop familiar with straight axle vehicles, and have them set the Caster and Toe.
5 - A rear sway bar may not be necessary, but would not hurt (aside from making the ride a bit rougher for the rear passengers)
6 - A good WD hitch will help, but may not be "required" for this weight of trailer

Yup, that is the jist of it however to sort out your most pressing issue I would start with correct air pressures since you can do that right now, then I would do the alignment and getting the caster to 5.5* degrees and some toe in.

Once you have that done getting your Ex and trailer weighs would be my next step to figure out the WD hitch.

That alone is likely to solve the wander issue.

once you have eliminated the wander you can focus on setting the suspension up better with the other stuff.
note: I do not advocate using lift blocks nor is that how I build them, just saying they work and that is not what is causing your current handeling issues.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:37 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
To figure out how much lift you currently have or make changes the first thing you need to find out is how much lift you currently have. To do that measure all 4 corners of the vehicle from the center of the wheel hub to the center of the fender arch straight up from the hub.

the stock height of the Ex was

front: 23”
rear 24”

While on flat ground be sure to measure the passanger and driver side as we will need all 4 measurements.
also while you have the tape out go ahead and measure the rear block. ( I am curious to know how much lift the add a leaf is giving you ) I am still trying to figure out what is going on with the front leafs but I am going to need some time to do research on my home computer.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 PM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I disagree. A WD is required, since the stock hitch is only rated for 500# tongue weight without WD.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 PM
Skygrasper
Junior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
To figure out how much lift you currently have or make changes the first thing you need to find out is how much lift you currently have. To do that measure all 4 corners of the vehicle from the center of the wheel hub to the center of the fender arch straight up from the hub.

the stock height of the Ex was

front: 23”
rear 24”

While on flat ground be sure to measure the passanger and driver side as we will need all 4 measurements.
also while you have the tape out go ahead and measure the rear block. ( I am curious to know how much lift the add a leaf is giving you ) I am still trying to figure out what is going on with the front leafs but I am going to need some time to do research on my home computer.
Not super accurate or anything, but here are the measurements I took, from as close to the center of the hub that I could estimate, straight up to the bottom of the fender flair:

Front Driver - 31"
Front Passenger - 32"
Rear Driver - 31.5"
Rear Passenger - 31"

So...I would guess that's about an 8" lift? matches up with my drop hitch.

The large block measures about 5" tall.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:11 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Stewart_H

As 1 Ex Camper stated, are you saying it's ok to run stacked blocks in the rear?

Stewart
Yes and no,

I do not advocate using stacked blocks because what happens is the stock size ubolts stretch from the additional force.
you can get away with it if the ubolts stay tight but they usually do not. You can use larger ubolts and a steel block with a tang but it is still not ideal yet it can work.

I would prefer no blocks but taller then stock blocks can be safely used and I would recommend a fabricated block like PMF makes. They will make custom heights and provisions for 3/4 ubolts.

Ford F-250/350 Fabricated Lift Blocks

Old 05-23-2018, 09:16 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jasoncw
I disagree. A WD is required, since the stock hitch is only rated for 500# tongue weight without WD.
he isn’t saying he doesn’t need one, he is saying until he knows what his tounge weight actually is he doesn’t know what he will need.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:20 PM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

he isn’t saying he doesn’t need one, he is saying until he knows what his tounge weight actually is he doesn’t know what he will need.
His trailer weight is 8000+. He sure as hell better have a TW > 500#!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:29 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Not super accurate or anything, but here are the measurements I took, from as close to the center of the hub that I could estimate, straight up to the bottom of the fender flair:

Front Driver - 31"
Front Passenger - 32"
Rear Driver - 31.5"
Rear Passenger - 31"

So...I would guess that's about an 8" lift? matches up with my drop hitch.

The large block measures about 5" tall.
8” sounds about right.

i can see a few options to improve what you have and will post them up for you when I have time on my home computer later. ( hopefully tonight ) What I dont know is your budget or time frame. The easiest and quickest fix is likely still going to be an air pressures, alignment and WD hitch which should fix the immediate handeling issue.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:23 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 501 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyfl
Yes, this. The front looks like it's done correctly, The rear no. Those rear lift blocks are not helping you. Think of the axle wrap those multiply on the stock springs. Call junior at ATS and he can get you what you need. Sway bar combined with the correct springs will make all the difference.
A lot of recommendations for adding a rear sway bar if you do not have one, which I do not. Looks like the Hellwig 7643 rear 1 1/4" kit is the one currently available for $273.73 from several retailers. Does that sound about right?

Old 05-23-2018, 11:43 PM
Skygrasper
Junior User
What I dont know is your budget or time frame.
While I've already dumped more money into this truck than I will ever get out of it, and I'm not afraid to spend a bit more $$ to do **** properly, I would like to keep as much of my money in my pocket as possible (more gas money for this thirsty beast).

As for time frame...I would like to get a few smaller "practice" camping trips in, but I don't truly *need* to tow the trailer again until about July 14th, when I head to Rock fest in Cadott WI. (about a 2 hour drive one way from my location)

Quick Reply: Need suggestions for improved towing (2000 6.8L V10 4x4)(Pic Heavy)