6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2016 6.7 blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:24 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lar man
... why they can' just request from the factory to ship the parts from there?
Factory planning may have allocated everything to the assembly plant which has different packaging compared for field units.

In principal, customer satisfaction after the sale should always take priority over new builds, But we live in an era of quarterly stock market results, so the assembly plant may be getting priority for all available engines.

Also conjecture, but a field replacement engine may not have all the same subassemblies installed on it; probably has fewer items bolted to it than a new build engine. So technically, it my not be the same "part." Certainly the packaging will be different.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Wow...

I caught this one kind of late, I'm going to move this to the 6.7L engine forum because it's engine-specific.

It's mind-blowing that you're going through all this hassle on such a new truck, but it's good to see they're stepping up and replacing the whole long block. I'm interested to hear how this turns out.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:13 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Then why bother owning the truck in the first place?
good point

ford has changed the game from buyers deciding on gas or diesel to gas diesel or rent a truck when needed.

gone are the days....

Old 03-17-2018, 06:37 PM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
hey speakerfritz,

i noticed you have a 2010 f-450. i had a 2008 f-450 which i ordered a turbo back exhaust system and egr delete to eliminate the regeneration stuff. you interested?

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
there frequency of these types of reports seem to be increasing....both the spun bearings on the 6.7 as well as your reports of OEM not stepping up to the plate.

the more I read these types of reports, the more I am convinced I should not take my f-450 on a road trip...bu instead..should just rent a truck so that the rental company can bring me another one if the first rental goes out of services.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:39 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by marine57_4
i noticed you have a 2010 f-450. i had a 2008 f-450 which i ordered a turbo back exhaust system and egr delete to eliminate the regeneration stuff. you interested?
I have a methonal injection system....truck rarely regens and when it does it’s over quick

need ti keep the epa stuff since my local does emissions testing

Old 03-17-2018, 10:10 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
In my past, I had a GMC truck lose a tranny. I was out fishing, So kinda remote. I got towed into the nearest town with a GM dealership. Small town, Small dealership. I was 6 weeks waiting for that tranny to be replaced. Conversely, I had a brand new 2003 F350 with the new 6.0L engine. I blew that tranny 3 weeks after I bought the truck. Took it into a large Ford dealer near me and they had a new tranny Air frieghted in and trucked returned to me in 5 days. Being that I was one of the 1st 6.0L trucks sold in Utah, and the tranny failed 3 weeks after I got it. Ford directed the dealer to not even open the tranny and shipped a new tranny from KY since there were no trannys of this new model anywhere in the west.

So was it a Ford vs GM repsonse that got my truck repaired faster. Was it a big dealer vs a small dealer. Was it a new product failure vs an established product failure? There will always be a number of factors that cause repairs to go fast or slow. I feel for your pain. I'm a builder and need my truck, not only for work, but hauling my horses.

As far as dealers being backed up. My dealer has let a lot of his diesel techs go. Back in the days of 6.0L and 6.4L engines he kept 8 techs busy repairing trucks, But as those engines have rolled out of warranty and owners frequently take those engines into Non-Ford mechanics for cheaper shop rates. The dealer has had to cut back his diesel techs. The 6.7L just has not needed the repair or service hours that the previous generation of engines demanded. Hence they can't keep as many techs busy.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,383 Likes on 4,639 Posts
Lar man, sorry to hear what you are going through. Good luck to you and I hope it all works out for you. Appreciate you posting up as I have a 2016 with "GEC" first 3 of last 8. Subscribed...

Old 03-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Philip Saraiva
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 2012 Ford Taurus. Brought it in for a recall for the door latches. The Ford Service took my car and comes to find out they didn’t have the parts to fix it. The had my car for a month. At the time of drop off I refused a loner car. Which was a mistake. They had my car for over 30 days. I requested that Ford pay my car payment for the month which they did. When dropping off a car for a recall make sure they have the parts available before you leave it. I would request reimbursement for your monthly payment as well. Sorry your going through this!!

Old 03-19-2018, 01:39 PM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by speakerfritz

I have a methonal injection system....truck rarely regens and when it does it’s over quick

need ti keep the epa stuff since my local does emissions testing

ok. thank you for replying. what is a methonal injection system? where are you located?

Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

Originally Posted by marine57_4
ok. thank you for replying. what is a methonal injection system? where are you located?
I’m in nyc

methanol injection is a setup where a methanol based solution is sprayed into the engine intake based on boost pressure. The mixture increases combustion , increases power, increases mpg, cools the engine, cleans carbon from the combustion and emissions system.

the fluid can range from windshield washer fluid, deicer, home brew blends of methanol , etc.

i use a basic AEM kit, a three nozzle 3” collar and three 250ml AEM nozzles installed right after the inter cooler .

i have a 5 gallon methanol tank

Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The spun bearing issue is a known problem with a very, very small percentage of 6.7 diesels. From what I can gather, they all seem to go before 55k miles, if they're going to go. How hard they are worked or how well they are maintained don't seem to have an effect on this.

From what I've read and experienced over the years, Ford is generally aware of the issue and is quick to approve at least a short block after tear down and diagnosis. Sometimes it's best to pay extra and have it towed farther if there's a small town dealer who is backed up or doesn't have a skilled diesel tech. Ford can't approve a repair before it's requested after tear down, and the extra tow can be cheaper than weeks of rental. If there's a delay after the dealer looked at it, always get the Ford service area rep involved.

We had a 6.7 with 51k miles on it spin a bearing at work. Dealer offered to turn the crank and replace the bearing. Ford told then no and to replace the short block. Stuck on the side of the road to new motor in the work truck took around 2 weeks total.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Dodged a bullet, but subscribing because my ears are still ringing.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Lar man
Freshman User
Gaskets

So the service manager at the dealer says he has a line on a complete aftermarket gasket set. Im sceptical for a newer vehicle. Ford Canada confirmed it would not affect the warranty. Just thought I'd get any opinions before I said ok. I want the truck back but not with possible future pain.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,755 Posts
I would hold out for OEM gaskets. If Canada has any lemon law provisions, the number of days that the vehicle is at the dealer service department and unavailable to the customer could be an important part of the evidence required for a buy back. That Ford is only just in timing seals for production engines, and not ramping up supply to meet warranty obligations to service and repair 2016 engines, is not the customer's fault. The customer pays the price, though, of being without the truck.

However, if another failure event occurs after receiving the truck back rebuilt with aftermarket seals, it could be argued at that future point, when many more thousands of service and parts dollars are on the line for a second rebuild, that aftermarket seals caused the next problem, despite whatever a person at Ford Canada may have verbally said today. Once big money is on the line, things change. The previous work order receipt will be analyzed by people who are paid to look for any reason to deny a claim. And those folks will not be the same folks who say today that "it should not affect warranty".

Unless or until you receive something, in WRITING, dated and signed, directly from Ford, the manufacturer, not just the dealer, that specifically identifies all the aftermarket parts being used to rebuild your engine, part number by part number, and specifically authorizes these substitute parts to rebuild your motor under warranty, and specifically extends that warranty across the entire Ford dealership network in North America, not just isolated to the dealer doing the engine service work... I would decline the offer and hold out for the already tested and vetted original equipment seals, and I would keep marking the calendar for the number of days that you were denied the use of your vehicle. The accumulation of those days may be instrumental in building a basis of fact for a buy back, depending on the prevailing laws in the province where you live.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Lar man
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
I would hold out for OEM gaskets. If Canada has any lemon law provisions, the number of days that the vehicle is at the dealer service department and unavailable to the customer could be an important part of the evidence required for a buy back. That Ford is only just in timing seals for production engines, and not ramping up supply to meet warranty obligations to service and repair 2016 engines, is not the customer's fault. The customer pays the price, though, of being without the truck.

However, if another failure event occurs after receiving the truck back rebuilt with aftermarket seals, it could be argued at that future point, when many more thousands of service and parts dollars are on the line for a second rebuild, that aftermarket seals caused the next problem, despite whatever a person at Ford Canada may have verbally said today. Once big money is on the line, things change. The previous work order receipt will be analyzed by people who are paid to look for any reason to deny a claim. And those folks will not be the same folks who say today that "it should not affect warranty".

Unless or until you receive something, in WRITING, dated and signed, directly from Ford, the manufacturer, not just the dealer, that specifically identifies all the aftermarket parts being used to rebuild your engine, part number by part number, and specifically authorizes these substitute parts to rebuild your motor under warranty, and specifically extends that warranty across the entire Ford dealership network in North America, not just isolated to the dealer doing the engine service work... I would decline the offer and hold out for the already tested and vetted original equipment seals, and I would keep marking the calendar for the number of days that you were denied the use of your vehicle. The accumulation of those days may be instrumental in building a basis of fact for a buy back, depending on the prevailing laws in the province where you live.
wow, really good info and food for thought. Thanks so much.

Quick Reply: 2016 6.7 blown motor