Sponsored by:

Thorley headers on a V10 Excursion - interference issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 08:15 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by sevensecondsuv
I guess I never got back to this. I ended up just bending the lines out of the way and fabbing up an extension of the existing bracket to hold them out of the way. They were still close, so I wrapped the lines up good in header wrap. I had to notch the shock tower a little too clear the bracket extension. Altogether not a big deal.

The headers themselves are, well, interesting. They definitely increased power/torque - it takes noticeably less pedal to get the same acceleration. But the exhaust sound went to crap. The system was/is the stock cat followed by the biggest 3.5" oval body muffler Magnaflow makes, then a 4" mandrel bent universal tail pipe. With the manifolds and Ford y-pipe, this system was the bomb. Easily the best sounding Ford V10 I've ever heard. I was really proud of the sound. But now with the headers, the sound is so much worse somehow. The idle got a lot deeper, which is nice, but anything off idle just sounds like non-descript buzz. 4500 rpm WOT lost all it's bark and growl somehow. I also picked up a bad drone at 2400 rpm (which is highway rpms due to the 4.30 gears). I tried adding a 1/4 wave resonator to kill the drone but it didn't do much. So more experimenting to do there. I'd like to work a chambered muffler into the system to get the sound waves bouncing around and see if that does anything. Problem is chambereds are too loud by themselves and there's not much extra room with the giant magnaflow.

When I installed my Banks headers (only change at that time to stock exhaust) the tailpipe and driver seat sound actually got quieter, but performance improved across the board. I still have the factory cat and all stock piping but replaced the stock muffler with an Aeroturbine (same as the Jones) 3030XL (XL denotes with a resonator, regular 3030 is without), I like it, both sound and performance were improved. Here is a sound clip I made sampling the difference between the stock muffler and 3030XL both at idle and with a little power braking.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:34 PM
sevensecondsuv
Tuned
Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
The banks are a 5 into 1 design, right? I'm wondering if the goofy sound I get is a product of the tri-Y (2 Y and a W?) design of the thorleys. I'd love to try different mufflers but each one takes an entire Saturday morning to install. Plus they're not exactly cheap just to try one after another lol.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:49 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Yes, five into one on the Banks tubes.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Mymysdat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate to resurrect an old thread but this is one of the best results from my Google search. Any luck getting the Thorley headers to deliver a better sound? I just installed a set on my 2000 6.8 Ex and it sounds like a suped up 98 Civic! Just wondering which exhaust system you settled on and how it sounds. TIA.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:40 PM
Blanco1dbl2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mymysdat
Hate to resurrect an old thread but this is one of the best results from my Google search. Any luck getting the Thorley headers to deliver a better sound? I just installed a set on my 2000 6.8 Ex and it sounds like a suped up 98 Civic! Just wondering which exhaust system you settled on and how it sounds. TIA.
any luck?

and has any one had to raise the passenger side of the motor to install these and/or remove anything? TIA

Old 01-21-2020, 04:21 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
@sevensecondsuv what were your results with the sound?

Old 06-26-2020, 09:55 PM
sevensecondsuv
Tuned
Sorry I don't check this thread often. No, I haven't gotten the thorleys to sounds right yet. I've been through several exhausts and even experimented with a 1/4 wave resonator. It's not a civic or 4/6 cylinder sound at all, but it's not particularly pleasing either. It's a very low frequency sound and at lower RPMs you can really hear the individual cylinder pulses. But I get a terrible reverberating drone at 2400 rpms, which with my 4.30 gears is exactly highway cruising speed. And that's with the factory cat and two mufflers in series (a flowmaster and a small magnaflow). I'm about done experimenting with it - it's a 4th vehicle and I don't drive it enough to get really annoyed with it. If I was going to go further my thought was true duals with no H or X pipe. That would at least cut the number of pulses through the system per engine revolution in half. Theoretically that should move the drone to 2x 2400 rpm = 4800 rpm and be more tolerable on the highway.

If I was going to do it over I'd stick with 5-into-1 headers. I think it's the goofy 5-2-1 *******ization of the tried-true 4-2-1 design for V8s that messes them up. If you look at the firing order of the V10 it's perfectly balanced side to side (unlike a typical V8), so 5-into-1 headers on each side make a lot more sense.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:52 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
I just put a set of Gibson headers on. I did have to lift each side of the engine to get them on with most of the factory studs in place. As mine is an 04, I did not have any problems with the A/C lines. Driving the Ex with nothing but the change from manifolds to headers, I only noticed a slight exhaust tone change. I then had the factory "T" junction replaced with a "Y" pipe and still did not notice any major changes in the exhaust tone or level. I have only driven it momentarily up to speeds of 40MPH and will have to see how it sounds at expressway speeds. My goal in this change is to increase towing power by allowing the engine to breathe better.

Drivers side.

This was replaced with a "Y" pipe

Side By side comparison

Side By side comparison

Muffler shop installed the Y pipe

Last edited by ShelbyHauler; 06-30-2020 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Add Photo
Old 06-27-2020, 12:17 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
That drone at 2400 RPMs is within the "flutter" range of the V10 - Did you check that the bellhousing cover isn't vibrating?

Old 06-30-2020, 04:26 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I'd like to throw out there that most of us think the Banks is the way to go.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:00 PM
sevensecondsuv
Tuned
Originally Posted by Krewat
That drone at 2400 RPMs is within the "flutter" range of the V10 - Did you check that the bellhousing cover isn't vibrating?
Bell housing cover? It's a 4R100 with an integral bell, obviously. I'm not sure what you mean by bellhousing cover....?

Old 07-17-2020, 01:32 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by sevensecondsuv
Bell housing cover? It's a 4R100 with an integral bell, obviously. I'm not sure what you mean by bellhousing cover....?
Front side of lower bell housing, just between torque converter and engine oil pan there is a sheet metal cover held on by (I think) 4 s,all bolts. Sometimes that cover can pick up a harmonies vibration and give you a rattle/buzz at certain RPMs. Pull it off and give it a little bend then reinstall, the bend will help it stay seated better and should kill the rattle/buzz.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Dweber85rc
Laughing Gas
Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Front side of lower bell housing, just between torque converter and engine oil pan there is a sheet metal cover held on by (I think) 4 s,all bolts. Sometimes that cover can pick up a harmonies vibration and give you a rattle/buzz at certain RPMs. Pull it off and give it a little bend then reinstall, the bend will help it stay seated better and should kill the rattle/buzz.
Its actually 2 bolts. I just smeared silicone around both sides of the cover where it touches the bellhousing and that took care of it. Bending it a little bit didn't work for me.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:35 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Dweber85rc
Its actually 2 bolts. I just smeared silicone around both sides of the cover where it touches the bellhousing and that took care of it. Bending it a little bit didn't work for me.
Yeah, somewhere there's a thread where I made a new cover of thicker metal. Never had a problem after that, along with some foam between the top of the cover, and the engine separator plate.

Ah, here it is: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ver-today.html

Old 08-20-2020, 12:24 PM
sevensecondsuv
Tuned
Originally Posted by WE3ZS

​​​​​​Oh ok I know the part. Yeah that's not my issue. My problem is an exhaust drone due to the headers, not a buzz from a loose piece of sheet metal.

Quick Reply: Thorley headers on a V10 Excursion - interference issue