Thorley headers on a V10 Excursion - interference issue - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

Thorley headers on a V10 Excursion - interference issue

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thorley headers on a V10 Excursion - interference issue

Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by sevensecondsuv View Post
I guess I never got back to this. I ended up just bending the lines out of the way and fabbing up an extension of the existing bracket to hold them out of the way. They were still close, so I wrapped the lines up good in header wrap. I had to notch the shock tower a little too clear the bracket extension. Altogether not a big deal.

The headers themselves are, well, interesting. They definitely increased power/torque - it takes noticeably less pedal to get the same acceleration. But the exhaust sound went to crap. The system was/is the stock cat followed by the biggest 3.5" oval body muffler Magnaflow makes, then a 4" mandrel bent universal tail pipe. With the manifolds and Ford y-pipe, this system was the bomb. Easily the best sounding Ford V10 I've ever heard. I was really proud of the sound. But now with the headers, the sound is so much worse somehow. The idle got a lot deeper, which is nice, but anything off idle just sounds like non-descript buzz. 4500 rpm WOT lost all it's bark and growl somehow. I also picked up a bad drone at 2400 rpm (which is highway rpms due to the 4.30 gears). I tried adding a 1/4 wave resonator to kill the drone but it didn't do much. So more experimenting to do there. I'd like to work a chambered muffler into the system to get the sound waves bouncing around and see if that does anything. Problem is chambereds are too loud by themselves and there's not much extra room with the giant magnaflow.

When I installed my Banks headers (only change at that time to stock exhaust) the tailpipe and driver seat sound actually got quieter, but performance improved across the board. I still have the factory cat and all stock piping but replaced the stock muffler with an Aeroturbine (same as the Jones) 3030XL (XL denotes with a resonator, regular 3030 is without), I like it, both sound and performance were improved. Here is a sound clip I made sampling the difference between the stock muffler and 3030XL both at idle and with a little power braking.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:34 PM
sevensecondsuv
Freshman User
sevensecondsuv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The banks are a 5 into 1 design, right? I'm wondering if the goofy sound I get is a product of the tri-Y (2 Y and a W?) design of the thorleys. I'd love to try different mufflers but each one takes an entire Saturday morning to install. Plus they're not exactly cheap just to try one after another lol.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Yes, five into one on the Banks tubes.