Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear valve cover bolt removal 4.9

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 05:10 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Rear valve cover bolt removal 4.9

The rear bolt on the valve cover nearest firewall is impossible to see. Does anyone have a trick or technique for getting it out. I finally got my old *** in the engine bay and still having trouble. There seems to be a bracket or something on a stud where the bolt hole is and I'm not sure there is even a bolt on it. Any tips to get me going again or what the bracket thing is? Of course it is the last thing holding me up to put a new gasket on. Thanks Sandy

Old 02-16-2018, 09:03 PM
Glenn54
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How's it going Sandy. Have you tried a mirror and a bright light to help you see that hidden bolt?

Old 02-16-2018, 09:16 PM
Eric Fullerton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I did; took a 1/4 sheet of 3/4 plywood and bolted it to the drivers side hood hinge, (hood was off) the other end of the plywood was supported by the core support. I was able to drag my old butt up onto that to undo the bolt.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:58 AM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Glenn54
How's it going Sandy. Have you tried a mirror and a bright light to help you see that hidden bolt?
Hey Glenn Doing good. Did you have your replacement yet? I will try the mirror today. Thanks Sandy

Old 02-17-2018, 11:00 AM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Eric Fullerton
What I did; took a 1/4 sheet of 3/4 plywood and bolted it to the drivers side hood hinge, (hood was off) the other end of the plywood was supported by the core support. I was able to drag my old butt up onto that to undo the bolt.
That's funny Eric. I thought of the same exact thing. Being old and 6'1" I don't fit in the bay well at all. Plus I screwed my back up on a jump years ago and bending over in there quickly reminds me I'm not 18 any more. Plus I found that the hood latch tries to get a little to friendly sometimes

Old 02-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Eric Fullerton
Senior User
As you can see; it makes a nice work bench as well.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Eric Fullerton
Senior User
I also being in my late 60's and having a back injury need a few aids, one of these is handy as well, just remember to tie it to the bumper or something so it doesn't slide away.
One more thing that can be done is take the front wheels off and set it on some short blocks. Cuts the strain of reaching to the back of the engine bay. I was doing a valve spring swap, so I was in there for a day or 2.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:10 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Good idea Eric. Thanks. Here is a picture of the culprit. It is a Valve cover bolt stud. It had the bracket on top blocking access to the bolt. The bracket was held on by a round star clip that is now destroyed on purpose. Anyway I just wanted you guys to know that I'm not totally crazy. Feeling it without seeing it or feeling the bolt was getting me very frustrated. It's off so now to getting it back on the road. Thanks guys Sandy

Old 02-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Eric Fullerton
Senior User
I think I'd swap that, less the bracket, into a more accessible spot and put one of the regular bolts in that spot.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Eric, That bracket thing will never see the light of day again. I don't know what it was for and I won't miss it at this point. Nothing was on it either I will change the bolt location. Sandy

Old 02-17-2018, 03:11 PM
animator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That bracket originally had a plastic clip that holds the fuel lines and the vacuum lines that run behind the cover, then under the intake manifold up to the front of the engine.

I use long needle-nose pliers to lift it off the stud, then a gear wrench on the stud to get it off.

It's incredibly easy to get to if the transmission isn't in the way.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:22 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by animator
That bracket originally had a plastic clip that holds the fuel lines and the vacuum lines that run behind the cover, then under the intake manifold up to the front of the engine.

I use long needle-nose pliers to lift it off the stud, then a gear wrench on the stud to get it off.

It's incredibly easy to get to if the transmission isn't in the way.
Yep I see the purpose of it. This one had a clip type washer on top that made it impossible to lift off without taking wire cutters to it. Plus I couldn't see it to know what was going on. The transmission was just rebuilt so it was in the way and hopefully won't come back off in my lifetime. Thanks for the info. Sandy

Old 12-09-2018, 10:32 PM
Cassell08
New User
Same problem

Originally Posted by sandymane
Good idea Eric. Thanks. Here is a picture of the culprit. It is a Valve cover bolt stud. It had the bracket on top blocking access to the bolt. The bracket was held on by a round star clip that is now destroyed on purpose. Anyway I just wanted you guys to know that I'm not totally crazy. Feeling it without seeing it or feeling the bolt was getting me very frustrated. It's off so now to getting it back on the road. Thanks guys Sandy
Was there a nut on the bolt on top of the washer? I'm in the same boot right now. I just cant see what is back there.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:47 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
As I recall there was a star type clip that I had to destroy on top like my post said. It goes on that stubborn bracket, then take the bottom bolt off. They did a good job hiding it from us didn't they!!! Sandy

Old 12-09-2018, 10:59 PM
Cassell08
New User
They sure did. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rear valve cover bolt removal 4.9