Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Grill change on my 2018. More to come.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 01:15 PM
ndfastang
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The lower body part does. The grill will come off after you pull 4 screws out. Two up top and two below the grill into the bottom of the headlights. The adjustable louver setup will come out with it as a unit. Then you have to unscrew 4 screws from the two parts and then the clips on the bottom. You'll see it when you get it off. You'll have to pry the 4 bolt clips off too. I just moved them out as far as possible to allow a small flat tip behind them and pried them out like that. It's easy. The side wheel well trim pieces were the only real difficult part because you have to pry against the body sort of and you don't want to break the tabs, or ruin the paint.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:06 PM
bwags1023
Freshman User
I would like to get my hands on a STX/Lariat Special Edition grille. They seem to be more in line with the historical F-150 grilles.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:58 PM
johngfla
Freshman User
It was helpful. The only thing that I learned in the process was that there is one screw in the very center of the grill that is screwed through the vent part behind the grille int the grille behind the ford emblem. once I removed that screw, it all worked out.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:10 PM
mroberts8899
Senior User
Blue grille looks good. I changed mine too but I have a Lariat with chrome bumpers. So I went with the Limited grille. Pain in the azz to change.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:52 PM
ndfastang
Junior User
I'm getting a new windshield for it now. Stupid sanders on the road put more rocks than grainy sand down and idiots just have to pull over into it right in front of me!!!!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:22 AM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I ordered a Lariat Sport I like the grill with the bars oK, but I do like the XL Sport grill better. I might change it latter on, going to let it settle for a while with me.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:28 AM
ndfastang
Junior User
I like the mesh grill for a 2wd sport truck but I'm leveling it with bigger tires and this give it a little more "Tonka" feel, if you will. If this were a lightning or such, I'd like the mesh grill more for it. I live with snow and bad weather so....no 2wd.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:39 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They look great. I like either one of yours because the one I have is going to take an hour just to clean each one of these little holes !!!

Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2018, 10:01 AM
ndfastang
Junior User
If mine was a 2wd, I'd have that one too. I don't mind the time. When everyone was going to the LX style lights on the fox bodies, I loved my cheese grater tail lights. Lots of toothpicks use in cleaning the wax from the grooves. Our toys are worth it.

Your truck looks good.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:33 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Originally Posted by ndfastang
If mine was a 2wd, I'd have that one too. I don't mind the time. When everyone was going to the LX style lights on the fox bodies, I loved my cheese grater tail lights. Lots of toothpicks use in cleaning the wax from the grooves. Our toys are worth it.

Your truck looks good.
Thanks ! So that's the difference in grills !! I was wondering why some had my grill and others had the easier to clean 2 bar grill. At least I now know that eBay has a solution in case I get tired of cleaning all those holes.

I live in East Texas so it snows maybe one day a year and I still have my 4x4 Tundra for those days if I have to go out in the snow. I don't like to finance so I save up my money until I can buy what I need cash.

I really only need 4x2 for this truck because I have a bad back and was tired of falling into and climbing out of my low car so I bought the F150 and sold the car. Since I was also buying a new tractor that weekend ($28k) I didn't have the extra $4k cash right now for the 4x4 even if I wanted it.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:19 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AeroCare
Thanks ! So that's the difference in grills !! I was wondering why some had my grill and others had the easier to clean 2 bar grill. At least I now know that eBay has a solution in case I get tired of cleaning all those holes.

I live in East Texas so it snows maybe one day a year and I still have my 4x4 Tundra for those days if I have to go out in the snow. I don't like to finance so I save up my money until I can buy what I need cash.

I really only need 4x2 for this truck because I have a bad back and was tired of falling into and climbing out of my low car so I bought the F150 and sold the car. Since I was also buying a new tractor that weekend ($28k) I didn't have the extra $4k cash right now for the 4x4 even if I wanted it.
Hey post a picture of that Econoline truck I drove one from Coleman to just outside of Houston back in the early 70s. I always thought they looked cool!

Old 02-19-2018, 02:46 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Here are some pictures of the hundreds of pictures I have during the restoration process. When I first bought it. Beside my other 1949, 1951, and 1952 trucks. During sandblasting. When we added a rod to the wheel wells so the wider tires would look better. When we spot welded a hundred times to seal the cab and side panels. finally when we started painting it.

It'll end up yellow with everything else black. I don't like chrome so the door handles, wheels, front headlight buckets, everything that was originally chrome is now black.

Attached Images           
Old 02-19-2018, 02:48 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Sorry !!! Didn't intend to hijack the thread. I just got excited when asked to show my '66 Ford. If the OP or the Mods want I can delete it and repost in the correct section.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:21 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
AreoCare, That looks nice! It was fun driving theat old truck it was a little straight six and 3 on the tree.. Of course I drove vans several times.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:32 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Originally Posted by TJReams
AreoCare, That looks nice! It was fun driving theat old truck it was a little straight six and 3 on the tree.. Of course I drove vans several times.
Mine has a Ford 351W (Windsor 5.7L V8) with automatic transmission.

Quick Reply: Grill change on my 2018. More to come.