1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 Ford F3 Flathead 6 Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:49 PM
JSPhotographers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1949 Ford F3 Flathead 6 Starter Problem

Hi There!

First, forgive me as I am new to older vehicles, so my knowledge can be limited at times.
Anyways, I have a 1949 Ford F3 with a Flathead 6 in it. The truck was parked out front (setup as a Christmas display) for December, once the holidays were over it was time to move it. I put a block heater on it for a bit and got her running pretty easily. While waiting for the engine to warm up, I pressed the gas peddle a second too late and she stalled out. Went to start her again and all I heard was the starter spinning freely and not turning the motor. So, we ended up using some tow straps and got her into our garage. Figuring it was the starter, I went ahead and ordered a rebuilt starter for the 6 volt system. I pulled the old starter out and found that one of the bolts that hold the large bendix spring was missing. Grabbed a inspection scope with a magnet tip and was able to fish them out of the bell housing. I got the new starter installed (little tricky getting it in) and went to start her and all I get is a big click from the solenoid when I push the starter. I'm out of ideas, any help would be great!

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2018, 03:08 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome! So, I first need to express my dismay that a photo wasn't included with your post. Clearly some sort of oversight.

To your problem. The 6 volt systems really want all the battery, ground, and starter connection points to be shiny and tight. During your work to replace the starter, if you didn't take efforts to clean up the posts you would be well served to look after them.

Let's start with that and your confirmation that the battery is fully charged.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:10 PM
JSPhotographers
New User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Welcome! So, I first need to express my dismay that a photo wasn't included with your post. Clearly some sore of oversight.

To your problem. The 6 volt systems really want all the battery, ground, and starter connection points to be shiny and tight. During your work to replace the starter, if you didn't take efforts to clean up the posts you would be well served to look after them.

Let's start with that and your confirmation that the battery is fully charged.
The post on the starter looks brand new. I did not clean up any other connections.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:11 PM
JSPhotographers
New User
Also, the battery just came off the charger too.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:15 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
JS, welcome to FTE the best Ford Truck Forum on the world wide Web!

I second the comments of Forty-niner. Both the ones about your cables and cleaning up the contacts. and the pictures! Also make sure the cables are at least 0 gauge if not 00 gauge. 6 volt systems need heavier cables.

Also tell us the story or history of your truck and where are you located in this great Ford Truck Country.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 PM
JSPhotographers
New User
Thanks guys! I questioned it, but followed your advice. Cleaned the heck out of the contact points that I could easily get to and guess what? She turned over and fired up! Thanks so much! Honestly, didn't think that would be a thing because the previous starter worked fine.... although I think the old starter was a 12volt. It had a 12V stamp on it, truck is definetly 6 volt though.

We bought this truck this past Fall. We are photographers and use it for family portraits. It is a big hit! We LOVE this truck. I would love to figure out away to get more speed out of her. 30mph is pretty slow, I would love to at least go above 45mph. Also, need to figure out a way to tighten up the steering a bit (which I hear is common), and get the panel to work again.

Attached Images    
Old 01-28-2018, 05:10 PM
blsd49
More Turbo

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Nice truck!
Why only 30 mph ? My F3 is happy at 45 mph, can do 50 when needed and if pushed can hit 55 ! Not sure why yours wouldn't do the same.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:34 PM
JSPhotographers
New User
The engine is pretty high when I am at 30. Afraid to push her any harder. The panel is dead so I can’t tell you the actual rpms and speed. I’m not sure what is in the rear end, but it is a 3 speed transmission. 1st gear is a bit of a joke, because by the time I get to 2nd I’m going super slow

Old 01-28-2018, 05:44 PM
blsd49
More Turbo

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Are you sure it is a 3 speed?
It sounds like a 4 speed and you are not getting to 4th? Also if that is the case 1st isn't used in normal driving.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:11 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Great pics!

I've had very little experience with my truck as a prop but it was a hoot. Little folk like old iron. Usually makes the grown-ups smile a bit as well.

On your truck, please take a couple of pictures of the engine bay. Two items of interest: the battery, and the generator. If you're unsure of the generator, just show us the biggest non-fan thing connected to a belt on the front of the engine. I'm wondering if you already have a 12 volt system.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:40 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by blsd49
Are you sure it is a 3 speed?
It sounds like a 4 speed and you are not getting to 4th? Also if that is the case 1st isn't used in normal driving.
That sounds like it might be the case! First gear is a granny gear used only for pulling stumps and starting out from a dead stop with a heavy load. So if you find 4th gear you'll get more mph's.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:49 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey JS,
Welcome Aboard! I can't believe a photographer wouldn't
plaster pics all over his very first post! Love your truck. Take a
pic of your trans & let's see if we can tell what you have in there.
Another pic of your engine bay should help decipher if it's 12 volt.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-28-2018, 10:41 PM
JSPhotographers
New User
I will have to add some more photos of her when I get a chance. I’m going to try and snap a few photos tomorrow, but let me see what I can find on my phone...

Old 01-28-2018, 10:45 PM
JSPhotographers
New User
Found some from the day we met her. I can get more detailed ones tomorrow

Old 01-28-2018, 10:51 PM
JSPhotographers
New User
Originally Posted by JSPhotographers
Found some from the day we met her. I can get more detailed ones tomorrow

Note the speedometer stops at 3rd gear. I’ll hunt for a 4th, but I don’t think it is there.

Quick Reply: 1949 Ford F3 Flathead 6 Starter Problem