CL old trucks.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:03 AM
1952 Ford Coe
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON

I had already looked through tons of pictures of fenders
. F3, f350, chev, dodge, but no matches yet. Maybe a cornbinder. Got it home today along with the lumber I needed for work.
wow!! GB you have a nice place. What a view!! And what a view of all the old stuff too.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:34 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Thank you. It was a heavily wooded 5 acres on the side of a mountain when I bought it for 18,000 back in the 70s. Then I bought a chainsaw and created a view. OK, but I'm writing to tell you that Danny left work at noon so I had some time with the studebaker. Before work I pulled the plugs and put about 1/2 cup of mmo in each cylinder. After lunch I installed a 12 v battery. Spun great and with my thumb on each plug hole I felt good compression. NO stuck valves.... amazing. I got out my compression tester. going from 1-6 I got 120,120,130,140,130.130. Amazing again since it had sat since 1977. I bypassed the 6 v coil and wired in a 12 v bosch to neg ground. There was a briggs and stratton cylindrical steel fuel tank on the inner fender well, all plumbed up to the carb which was caked with dust and oil like cement. I cut the hose, added an inline filter. Filled the tank. Checked for spark. None. Ran a strip of sandpaper through the points. Hot spark. Now my son came down from the cabinet shop and was helping me. He sprayed some either. It would fire and kick out the bendix. We freed up the choke. While he pumped the accelerator I was hot wiring the ignition and the solenoid from under the hood. This b&s tank was routed through the original mechanical fuel pump and soon it was primed and off she went. Smooth idle and I yelled to my son in the cab about oil pressure. He yelled back 40 lbs! Oh, and the oil was clear and slightly amber and straight on the full mark when I checked it. It just plain doesn't get any better than that. This truck was altered to be a pickup from a longer wheelbase truck. The frame was cut to a Z pattern and very nicely joined back together. The long driveshaft was in the bed in two crooked and kinked halves.At least both ends were there, so about 4 in the afternoon I cut out the kinks and had two short straight pieces to join with a sleeve. Then an old friend came by to visit and afterwards my wife and I had a dinner thing with inlaws and so tomorrow morning I weld up a sort of straight driveshaft. I still have to add coolant (fingers crossed), but may be taking a few laps by lunch time. I hope my rantings are in line with the CL old trucks post. I did not intend to get so deep on this CL find. Details tomorrow.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:54 PM
51504BAT
More Turbo
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Sounds like the Stude 6 banger is a keeper. Looks like you'll have to find another jail bar for the flattie that was destined for the Stude.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:38 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
It played out pretty well, but The water pump leaked so bad that it sprayed the cracked and brittle spark plug boots and wires and stuff was shorting out. I came in to the house at started sourcing water pumps for a studebaker. About 3 in the afternoon which was a beautiful day, I got in the woodie and headed into town and had about 2 hours total of glorious drive in a vehicle that I have invested a tremendous amount of time in..It was a blast. I just got home.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:37 PM
1952 Ford Coe
Senior User
Question

It played out pretty well, but The water pump leaked so bad that it sprayed the cracked and brittle spark plug boots and wires and stuff was shorting out. I came in to the house at started sourcing water pumps for a studebaker. About 3 in the afternoon which was a beautiful day, I got in the woodie and headed into town and had about 2 hours total of glorious drive in a vehicle that I have invested a tremendous amount of time in..It was a blast. I just got home.
Old vehicle and a beautiful day... sounds like a good time!

Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 PM
catimann
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are a few. I would really buy the car hauler but don't have the $$$. Good idea really.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/c...529511631.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...538598017.html

Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by catimann
Here are a few. I would really buy the car hauler but don't have the $$$. Good idea really.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/c...529511631.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...538598017.html

Appropriate but spendy! That's a beautiful panel. Maybe this is the one that needs my flattie. Oh wait, it's tax time......

Old 03-23-2018, 07:53 AM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
[QUOTE=catimann;17880521]Here are a few. I would really buy the car hauler but don't have the $$$. Good idea really.

I really like these Fords, I would guess that both of them cause a feeling of anxiety and shock for most of us. But, what a great starting point! I would rather have an office find than a barn find.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:13 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 1952 Ford Coe
wow!! GB you have a nice place. What a view!! And what a view of all the old stuff too.

I have identified the rear fenders as mid 50's cornbinder pickup. It's that flat spot at the top of the opening and no embossed edges or details. Funny thing I have an identical set in good shape out behind my shop. I bought them for the woodie project, but opted for the ford streamlined fenders instead. On the binders with an 8' bed, there is no divit for the spare.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:38 AM
1952 Ford Coe
Senior User
Yeah they look to be it. Deffinety look like they belong on the truck. What a cool looking studebaker. GB you still need to add it to your vehicle list on bottom. Pretty soon you will need an extension on your postings for vehicles owned Haha! I'm just a little jealous...

Old 03-24-2018, 11:32 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 1952 Ford Coe
Yeah they look to be it. Deffinety look like they belong on the truck. What a cool looking studebaker. GB you still need to add it to your vehicle list on bottom. Pretty soon you will need an extension on your postings for vehicles owned Haha! I'm just a little jealous...

Ok, 52 I just changed it for you!

Old 03-24-2018, 12:25 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Great to see the M16 is ready for work. Assume you rounded up the water pump. Is it still the plan to only use it as a mule on your property, or is it gonna make its way into town also? And did it donate its buckets to the woodie, and gain a full bench as was the plan? Stu

Old 03-24-2018, 03:58 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Talking

The buckets turned out to be movie theater seats. The water pump came, but it was the wrong one. I sent him the wrong one back, along with my core. Then the right one arrived yesterday, but without the steel plate on the back and I just sent my core back with the steel plate still on it. He will send it back to me after he receives it. The plan is just to use it around the place for now. My homemade driveshaft is a bit short and bent and while under there I found the pinion shaft bearing has lost a few of it's ***** and they are lodged in a gap ready to fall out. I met the guy yesterday who was selling the 226 engine from his M16. He is putting the cab on a dodge/cummins truck so he has the old chassis. We are gonna deal on it. My feeling is it's worth almost nothing on the open market.. Well the only really valuable part to me besides the rear pinion would be the title. Alas, he has no title. It would yield a lifetime supply of tires and wheels and most likely some brake and suspension parts. All in all I am very glad I got it. It has a great look and lots of power. The very rare 8' pickup box is in excellent condition and I had one covered parking space sitting vacant, so it just seemed like the right thing to do!

Old 03-24-2018, 04:21 PM
1952 Ford Coe
Senior User
Ok, 52 I just changed it for you!
Thanks GB, it's the little things. Haha. What a list!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:27 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Shame about the seats. Others will drop in your lap, like the bare chassis is gonna. Amazing the chassis with useful spare bits is right there on Orcas. Hope the water pump saga is resolved. Stu

Quick Reply: CL old trucks.