2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Yellow work truck.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by blk17250
Cool truck!! I wish Ford offered more colors to the single unit buyer. Definitely would have went yellow to match up with the car I'll be towing. Do they call that "School Bus Yellow" like the modern BOSS cars? Looks like a closer match than old yellow car.

Nice cars! Anyone can order this color, it is a special order only paint code. Not many dealers even know, or want to mess with ordering theses colors though. It is an upcharge of course and as I said earlier it is only available in certain packages. We have ordered one at a time, it just takes longer to get them because Ford will wait until the get multiple orders in this color before they will build them.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:04 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowman 8
I would wear through a spray in liner too. We are fairly tough on these trucks and they will be ready for replacement in 5 or 6 years of construction use with or without a bed liner. I got this truck Sometime around the first week of June and I have about 32,000 miles on it already.
I wondered that. Wow on the mileage, how many miles are typically on the clock when you are finished with these trucks.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:11 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Yes the color is called school bus yellow.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
I average between 35-50,000 miles a year. It all depends on where the jobs are that year, some weeks I put over a thoumiles a week on and other weeks I might only put on 500. My last 2011 I drove for about five and a half years and it had 196,000 miles and I think it had 10090 hours, and 5611 idle hours. Still ran great! The only thing we did to the engine was spark plugs, and a few coil packs. These 6.2’s are tough!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 PM
F250Ninja
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then probably painted the black cab corners at the same time !?Great looking by the way
Yes it is a factory paint color. It’s a special order only and Ford will only put it on an XL or XLT. They also limit packages for some reason. They did a horrible paint job on this truck but the other 4 trucks that we ordered weren’t too bad. This truck was about three or 4 different shades of yellow with red tints in some areas. The box was an entirely different shade of yellow than the cab. The dealer had this truck re-painted under warranty and it looks great now!

Old 01-14-2018, 01:33 AM
Green Power
Elder User
That is a awesome ride! Are you going to tint the front windows?

Old 01-14-2018, 07:03 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Yes 250Ninja the cab corners were painted with the rest of the truck, it looked really stupid with the black ones. Makes me mad that Ford was so lazy not to color match them!

I can’t tint the front windows Green Power. If you noticed the truck has a DOT number on it and tinted front windows is a red flag for the DOT to pull me over, as if yellow paint isn’t enough!!! I had tinted the windows on my 11 and I was fine for a year or so then I got pulled over with a ski loader trailer by a county DOT officer and it was game on for him after that! He gave me a fine for the windows that time. I was working on a road in the county that he patrolled and he would swing by the job about once a week and make small talk asking me questions about how the job was going etc., then right before he would leave he would make a comment about my windows being illegal. He wouldn’t do anything about it while I was off road off course but I know he was just waiting to see me on one of his roads! I would love to have them tinted because I have always tinted the windows on my personal trucks in the past and in my opinion it really finishes the look of these trucks but it isn’t worth the hassle for me anymore. I must be getting old!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 AM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless it's a state law you are OK getting your front windows tinted.

The federal regs allowed it a few years ago because of drivers getting skin cancer at higher rates on the left side of their bodies.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...section/393.60

Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Originally Posted by Robb81
Unless it's a state law you are OK getting your front windows tinted.

The federal regs allowed it a few years ago because of drivers getting skin cancer at higher rates on the left side of their bodies.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...section/393.60
I’ll have to look into that. I know it is tough to get a tint that will pass that 70% light emission rule when they get really finicky because the factory windows have a slight tint in them already. If a 30% tint is installed it will not pass 70% because of the slight tint already in the window. The guy that has been pestering me come right up to the truck after he pulls me over with the light meter in hand... I don’t blend in with other traffic very well either! I guess that’s the whole idea of the truck too, it’s a mobile billboard!

Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Green Power
Elder User
Regulations sure can be a pain! When you guys “wear out” a pickup, do you trade the old ones in, or sell on a Ritchie brothers auction, or do you guys do something different? Might be neat to buy a yellow 17+ for a Farm truck one day.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:57 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Originally Posted by Green Power
Regulations sure can be a pain! When you guys “wear out” a pickup, do you trade the old ones in, or sell on a Ritchie brothers auction, or do you guys do something different? Might be neat to buy a yellow 17+ for a Farm truck one day.
Pretty much all of the above. Some have been traded in , I think a few have been sold outright, and some that are in really bad condition have gone to auction just to get rid of them.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM
TJP249
Tuned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes it is a factory paint color. It’s a special order only and Ford will only put it on an XL or XLT. They also limit packages for some reason. They did a horrible paint job on this truck but the other 4 trucks that we ordered weren’t too bad. This truck was about three or 4 different shades of yellow with red tints in some areas. The box was an entirely different shade of yellow than the cab. The dealer had this truck re-painted under warranty and it looks great now!
Below is from the Ford Fleet VSO page. Curious if the VSO paint is applied in a different process as the rest of the trucks now? I know years ago when I worked for a local govt agency, Ford was very strict on VSO paint and needed a large number of vehicles ordered at the same time before they would accept an order. GM however would take the order and sit on it with the hope they would get additional orders from other customers for same paint code, if not the vehicle would not get built. This was all due to EPA regulations and how much paint was lost in the changeover process. I know they have more efficient paint processes now.

SPECIAL PAINT RESTRICTIONS
Special paint is available on the XL and XLT base models only. Special paint is not available on the DRW body types. Appearance packages such as Chrome, Sport, and FX4 are not available. Higher series such as Lariat and King Ranch are also not available. This restriction is due to the supplier complexity.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:19 PM
TJP249
Tuned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes 250Ninja the cab corners were painted with the rest of the truck, it looked really stupid with the black ones. Makes me mad that Ford was so lazy not to color match them!
Also from the VSO page:

GENERAL INFORMATION
Exterior hang on parts not painted VSO include:

XL Model:
Black components for Regular Cab:
The upper door chicklet (top of “B” Pillar)

Black component for Regular Cab, Super Cab, and Super Crew Cab:
Lower dog leg molding at the bottom of the rear-most cab pillar (forward of pickup box)

XLT Model:
Same components will default to black as shown on the XL models above, plus:
Front Fascia
Front Bumper Bar/Shell
Bumper/Lower

PAINT CONFIGURATIONS
SP101 Monotone (single color)
Two-Tone Configurations are not available at this time.

Tape Stripes and Decals are not available with Special Paint.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Originally Posted by TJP249
Also from the VSO page:

GENERAL INFORMATION
Exterior hang on parts not painted VSO include:

XL Model:
Black components for Regular Cab:
The upper door chicklet (top of “B” Pillar)

Black component for Regular Cab, Super Cab, and Super Crew Cab:
Lower dog leg molding at the bottom of the rear-most cab pillar (forward of pickup box)

XLT Model:
Same components will default to black as shown on the XL models above, plus:
Front Fascia
Front Bumper Bar/Shell
Bumper/Lower

PAINT CONFIGURATIONS
SP101 Monotone (single color)
Two-Tone Configurations are not available at this time.

Tape Stripes and Decals are not available with Special Paint.
Yup, makes me mad that Ford is so lazy not to paint match all of the components just like the rest of the colors. Especially since we are paying a premium for these special order paints! If your buying a $60,000 truck and paying an extra charge for a special color what’s another $100 for the whole truck to be the same color? I think the charge was $700 or so.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:22 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by blk17250
Cool truck!! I wish Ford offered more colors to the single unit buyer. Definitely would have went yellow to match up with the car I'll be towing. Do they call that "School Bus Yellow" like the modern BOSS cars? Looks like a closer match than old yellow car.

nice no reason to restomod the 70 (not that you would anyway)

Quick Reply: Yellow work truck.