Not Enough truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 AM
tcsm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terryd91
What's your towing experience? Weight isn't the issue, its wind resistance. My old camper was 25' overall and weighted about 4k, new one is 35' over all and is 7-8k and i only see about 1-2 mpg difference(7-9 mpg) at 65. It takes a good bit of power to pull something with a ton of frontal area at speed. Dropping a gear or two is normal, especially if you get into a headwind or start climbing.
Hey Terry, Obviously no trailer towing experience, just my pontoon boat!
Thanks for the advise and happy camping..

Old 01-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by tcsm
Rustofer, thanks for the reply.
I had the dealer set up my Recurve R3 hitch. I am going to check and make sure it was done correctly.
The only thing that may be an isuue with it that I notice is a bit of "porpoising" when going down the road..
The stock rear shocks are terrible for towing. Get a set of bilsteins or rancho adjustables and you will see a lot of that go away. Im very happy with a rancho's but i have a bit more tongue weight.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Hey Terry, Obviously no trailer towing experience, just my pontoon boat!
Thanks for the advise and happy camping..
boats, even pontoons are much more aerodynamic and they tow a lot easier at the same weight. You will get used to towing with the camper, they are a different animal.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 AM
tcsm
New User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
IMHO, here is the issue....... this is not the same 5.0 engine that the previous F series had for decades....... the increased 1k rpm has shifted the torque band up by about the same, and the only way to mitigate this is to go with lower gears in the diff (by .50 gear ratio) or you can accomplish the same this by going to a shorter tire.
Thanks Beechkid, what gear ratio would you recommend?
I had already considered this change but unsure of the best way to go about it..

Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
The other game changer is the transmission. Having 5+ gears and a tourque converter that locks in multiple gears is a *huge* and positive advantage over the 3 - 4 speed transmissions where at best the TCC locked in OD (unless an aftermarket controller was installed to lock while in lower gears). Now, the computer can select a gear that keeps the motor in its sweet-spot much better than when there were fewer gears to chose from.

Toward shorter gearing, not sure that I agree about reflexively lowering the differential ratio or a shorter tire is beneficial in all situations. Not looking to start a battle, just sharing a perspective. In the SUV, I just went from a differential of 3.73 to 3.42 and a 4 speed tranny to a 5 speed. Sure, the rig is a tad slower off the line, but I am truly loving the change as it allows me to put the motor right in its sweet spot for towing (at 55 mph in direct gear) and highway cruising at the speed limit (70 mph in OD). Besides, what am I going to get back in life by quicker acceleration, maybe 2 - 4 seconds that will get eaten-up by the next red light?

Old 01-10-2018, 08:02 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks Beechkid, what gear ratio would you recommend?
I had already considered this change but unsure of the best way to go about it..

Prior to going this route, might consider checking the tires on the trailer to see if there is room for lowering the drag. From there, check with a tuner to dial-in the truck's behavior. Reasoning is that unless you are doing the axle work yourself, it is far more economical to do the other things first than re-gear the differential. Just say-in

Edit: Just noticed that the trailer tires are Load D, so I'd start by checking with a tuner to see if there is room to adjust the shift patterns. And, at the risk of insulting, I'd do a lot of homework first though.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:47 AM
JimBuck47
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Jim,

Really liked the 2600RB and the 2500RL.
Our carport is 26' and we wanted to get one that would fit under it..
Wish I had a carport. Most of my neighbors have a shop behind their house with door to drive their motor home or trailer into. My lot is not set up to build one. May put up a steel cover this spring. They run about $2,000 for something that *****’s bd 12x36. Since this is my first trailer, joined Good Sam and KOA downloaded bunch of checklists, and transferred my brothers unused Thousand Trails over to me. In the past was able to camp out in China Lake area and Mojave desert. Will be exploring Oregon to see what’s available. Can’t wait

Old 01-10-2018, 10:54 AM
tcsm
New User
The stock rear shocks are terrible for towing. Get a set of bilsteins or rancho adjustables and you will see a lot of that go away. Im very happy with a rancho's but i have a bit more tongue weight.
Yes I have read this before about rear shock upgrades.
Also going to an LT tire might help... Thanks

Old 01-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Rustofer
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Rustofer, thanks for the reply.
I had the dealer set up my Recurve R3 hitch. I am going to check and make sure it was done correctly.
The only thing that may be an isuue with it that I notice is a bit of "porpoising" when going down the road..
If you experienced porpoising with that rig I think you're on the right track to check your hitch settings. My experience was that the dealer who set mine up did not apply nearly enough lift to the equalizer bars. Adjusting the hitch head angle and tightening the bars made a world of difference.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:34 PM
tcsm
New User
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA
Prior to going this route, might consider checking the tires on the trailer to see if there is room for lowering the drag. From there, check with a tuner to dial-in the truck's behavior. Reasoning is that unless you are doing the axle work yourself, it is far more economical to do the other things first than re-gear the differential. Just say-in

Edit: Just noticed that the trailer tires are Load D, so I'd start by checking with a tuner to see if there is room to adjust the shift patterns. And, at the risk of insulting, I'd do a lot of homework first though.
No insult, we're never too old to learn which is why I'm here..

Researching rear suspension and tuning.. seems like a good start.
Also read that LT tires are recommended for towing, don't believe mine are..

Old 01-10-2018, 02:03 PM
JimBuck47
Freshman User
Would that be maybe Rancho RS9000 series that are adjustable? My 2015 is new to me and will have a 1000 pound tongue weight from my trailer.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:19 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
RS9000XL shocks are adjustable. I have them on my F-350. Better than stock, for sure.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:38 PM
Rustofer
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
No insult, we're never too old to learn which is why I'm here..

Researching rear suspension and tuning.. seems like a good start.
Also read that LT tires are recommended for towing, don't believe mine are..
LT tires on your truck, trailer tires on your trailer.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by JimBuck47
Would that be maybe Rancho RS9000 series that are adjustable? My 2015 is new to me and will have a 1000 pound tongue weight from my trailer.
yep, 9000xl's. I crank them up to 9 and the ride is much better, unloaded i leave them at 5 and they are bit firmer than stock. my campers tongue weight is 950 dry, not sure loaded my guess is 1000-1100.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:30 PM
JimBuck47
Freshman User
yep, 9000xl's. I crank them up to 9 and the ride is much better, unloaded i leave them at 5 and they are bit firmer than stock. my campers tongue weight is 950 dry, not sure loaded my guess is 1000-1100.
Thanks will get a set installed before any long trips and follow your example as mine falls into same weight range.

Quick Reply: Not Enough truck?