General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Posts don't count here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 09:59 PM
jskufan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posts don't count here?

What is the rationale for the change? To me it seems like a post is a post. Even if it's on a thread you've already contributed on, each new post is a new idea or response. I'm confused!!

Old 09-13-2003, 10:09 PM
AegisSailor
Elder User
Posts don't count here?

Because people are posting useless topics only to drive up their posts. To be honest, I don't understand it. WHO CARES about how many posts you have. Talk about obsessive. It's almost like people are judging their self-worth by how many posts they make.

It's the quality of the conversation that matters, not the quantity. Also, the pig-pen is a potential inferno. The more you can do to keep people from posting crap just to fire people up the better. Also, hopefully it will keep topics from coming up over, and over, and over again. Such as "They are going to take our guns away, let's be manly and shoot them".

End Rant.

I feel better now.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:13 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
Posts don't count here?

I have my ideas why, but rather than publish them here, I think I'd rather wait and maybe Ken will make an announcement that will clear this up.

I like to see my count go up and I am looking forward to hitting that 1000 mark, but I also enjoy the back and forth banter and I plan on posting to any forum or thread whether it "counts" or not.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:38 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
Posts don't count here?

Originally posted by AegisSailor
Because people are posting useless topics only to drive up their posts. To be honest, I don't understand it. WHO CARES about how many posts you have. Talk about obsessive. It's almost like people are judging their self-worth by how many posts they make.

It's the quality of the conversation that matters, not the quantity. Also, the pig-pen is a potential inferno. The more you can do to keep people from posting crap just to fire people up the better. Also, hopefully it will keep topics from coming up over, and over, and over again. Such as "They are going to take our guns away, let's be manly and shoot them".

End Rant.

I feel better now.
Maybe you think a topic is useless, but other people might not think that. Just because you think a topic is stupid doesn't mean everyone else does too.

I post a lot of jokes. Maybe you think they are not funny, but judging from the number of reads and responses I get, some people enjoy them and find them entertaining.

I've never woke up and said, "gee my count is low so I think I'll post a stupid joke to raise it up" I also look at other forums and if I can answer someone's question I always try to help.

I think most all people on here are like that. I read every post on the GC and pig pen forums and although some are silly, I never thought that someone might be "loading" his count.

I agree that some of the threads on politics and religion just go around in circles with no end in sight, but that's why Ken made the pig pen.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Posts don't count here?

I think something must have happened when posts from elsewhere moved to the Pig Pen -

Since the posts no longer exist in a "countable" forum, a corresponding drop in numbers must be the result of the subtraction of posts that used to exist elsewhere. That's the best explanation I can think of for it.

I have seen no further drop in my own numbers, therefore it does not subtract from the count to post in the pig pen.

It does bode ill for anyone that posts in the wrong area however - should such material be moved to here it would instantly become detracted from the outside forum count.

None of which disturbs me in the slightest, since I have no interest in agrandising myself through longevity...

Old 09-13-2003, 10:54 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Posts don't count here?

How about we think about content for a while ?

Old 09-13-2003, 10:58 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Posts don't count here?

As we learn more about how the "PEN" was set up, I think it bespeaks wise management on kpayne's part overall.

To post regarding controversial subjects only distantly related to FTE even if it costs an individual user nothing, still does not advance them any either.

That's cool. At least the space was provided where folk such as you and i can spout off about our personal ideations - and frankly we should be thankful for it!

GOD BLESS THE USA!
(And thank you, Ken Payne)

Old 09-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Posts don't count here?

Holy Guacamole dip, Batman! I was only curious as to why the decision was made to not count the posts here. I could actually care less if the posts are counted or not, but it was interesting to see how many posts a guy has. Gives you an idea of how opinionated or perhaps intelligent a person might be. As for self agrandizing or whatever ya called it, whats with that? A simple question asked and an insult offered? Gimme a break! I never really understood why, in the various forums I've read, that posts are counted anyway, except as an incentive to use the site and see the advertising & perhaps spend a buck or ten at one of the sponsors.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:36 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Posts don't count here?

Post counts do not go down from posting in Pig Pen.

Post counts in Testing do not count.

Post counts elsewhere do count, all of them.

If a thread is moved to Pig Pen and you posted in that thread than naturally those posts get removed from your count when the thread is moved.

After moving a bunch of threads to Pig Pen, I had the boards update post counts. This adjusted all user post counts for move threads, merged posts and any deleted posts. When we delete a thread it does not adjust your post count (it should, but it doesn't). Our update of the post counters fixed this. Basically, if you had posts in threads that were removed this recent update fixed your count to reflect that.

If you saw a large drop in your post counts due to threads being moved to Pig Pen or deleted threads you may want to take a look at your posting habits to see how much of your participation is actual Ford truck content.

Old 09-14-2003, 12:41 AM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Posts don't count here?

That does answer a lot of questions. Makes good sense.
Political mud-slinging doesn't count on a Ford site...
Doesn't make the pig-pen any less fun though...

Personally, I don't really care about post numbers, it just lets me know how familiar a person is with the site, otherwise, I don't think it matters. I just wanted to know if my computer was functioning properly, I have had problems in the past.

Old 09-14-2003, 06:04 PM
Jerrybo66
Elder User
Posts don't count here?

Why is everyone conserned about how many posts they have ?? So what ?? Is there some kind of contest??I thought this was a forum where we could come for help when our Fords cause trouble..This is a good place for someone to kill some time that has no truck problems.. I come here to get an idea of the credibility of a poster in the help sections... If he rants that the earth is flat, then I am less likely to believe his advice on how to fix a truck problem ..Just MHO....Anyway, I like all parts of FTE... Keep up the good work of moderating...

Old 09-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Twinbulls
Senior User
Posts don't count here?

I understand and can agree but we still belong to FTE, And a post is still a post. Will this go to other forums also like the state groups/clubs??

twinbulls

Old 09-14-2003, 09:33 PM
jskufan
Posting Guru
Posts don't count here?

Originally posted by Twinbulls
I understand and can agree but we still belong to FTE, And a post is still a post. Will this go to other forums also like the state groups/clubs??

twinbulls
I agree 100%. If I only visited the FTE Forum when I had a truck issue, I would have 2 posts a year. The only difference between "Pig Pen" and "General Conversation" is the "weightiness" of the threads. Nobody has to post here just as they don't have to anywhere else. It just doesn't seem fair that the posts don't count. And yes the post number does matter, otherwise there would be no counter at all!

Old 09-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Posts don't count here?

Sigh, my finest work is done here.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:05 PM
AegisSailor
Elder User
Posts don't count here?

So, if you don't want to post if it doesn't increase your number, and you don't want to talk tech, then post in the GC forum. It still counts toward that magical number everyone is worried about. Just don't post political or religious topics, or anything likely to drag out into 80 replys.

Quick Reply: Posts don't count here?