General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Marine losing home for flying Flag!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Jarlaxle
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

George Andres is wrong. Period. He bought the house, he knew there was a homeowner's association, he knew the flagpole was not allowed. He is wrong, he cost the association over $20,000 in legal fees, and he needs to pay it back.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:00 PM
stepman
Posting Guru

Wher is that neighborhood at? I dislike HOA's with a passion so I avoid them. I still have people that will use the city to do the same. I have gotten cited for haing a flat tire on my truck. The judge called it an abandonded vehicle.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru

Originally posted by stepman
Wher is that neighborhood at? I dislike HOA's with a passion so I avoid them. I still have people that will use the city to do the same. I have gotten cited for haing a flat tire on my truck. The judge called it an abandonded vehicle.
Didn't he give you no credit for already having it up on blocks so you could change it right fast?

Last edited by Bubba Shrimp; 09-13-2003 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:18 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster

If imposing his individual preferences on an association which he joined of his own free will well knowing the restrictions is considered fair and right, that's about one step from chaos. His lack of regard for the CC&Rs point out either an attention seeker or someone who shouldn't be living there.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:32 PM
stepman
Posting Guru

No he didn't. That is a long story but it started when it was parked where someone didn't like it so I was told I had to move it. After moving it one of the tires went flat and the s#%^ started. Now I can't even change my oil inmy driveway without someone saying something.
TOO MANY PEOPLE WITHOUT A LIFE!!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru

It really pains me to do this, but I have to agree with jar and george. You just can't move into a place that has rules and then ignore them. I'm not quite so sure about the $20,000.00 the HOA wants for legal fees. That seems excessive, unnecessary and punitive. Then again, we are only hearing one side of it.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:48 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster

Depending on the billing rate, that's 50-60 hours, not out of line for a case with a lot of precedent research. If the HOA wins, they'll lien his house.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:50 PM
dakejh
Senior User

It is amaizing how some people can be so liberal about everything until it has to do with their piece of the pie. Some want structure and order when it suits them, and not when it applies to others.

Hypocracy has no bounds

Old 09-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Vanhecht
Elder User

ditto on that one dake, rules about displaying the AMerican flag? come on guys, maybe some of these rules are out right horsepoop anyway. i dont care what some dumb hoa says, there are too few places w/out them nowadays so long as youdont go crazy, which this guy didnt, the should really give two poops. i hate this pc, liberal crap.

Old 09-13-2003, 03:29 PM
zanny
Senior User

You should be able to fly the American flag any where you want.
It's our flag for Godsakes.
zanny

Old 09-13-2003, 03:53 PM
jskufan
Posting Guru

First of all, it might help to see what his flagpole looks like. Since it's portable, it may look "overpowering" in comparison to the size or architecture of his house. I'm sure no one would object to a "normal" sized flag hung in a professional way. However, if you drape a 15' x 30' flag over the top of your house you may ruffle some feathers.

As far as the foreclosure, that's something he pushed by taking the issue as far as he did. When you want to take it on yourself to buck the system, no matter what the issue, you better be ready for the downside. The association wouldn't have had to spend the money in the first place if he hadn't decided to fight them. Taking something "all the way to the supreme court" is an expensive proposition. Even if he wins, he is a member of the association and will be responsible for his share of their legal expenses. His neighbors will have to pay the rest. I don't think he'll be very popular in his neighborhood!!

Old 09-13-2003, 04:45 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the first thing I checked before I bought my house. One of these days I am going to have a couple of 60' antenna towers up. I may even fly the flag on one. I can even have a certain number of chickens.

Old 09-13-2003, 05:36 PM
stepman
Posting Guru

I think someone said he had as 20' pole.I can't see waving a 15'x30' flag off of that but I guess it's possible.

Old 09-13-2003, 06:34 PM
jskufan
Posting Guru

Originally posted by stepman
I think someone said he had as 20' pole.I can't see waving a 15'x30' flag off of that but I guess it's possible.
Stepman,

Actually, I wasn't referring to "his" particular flag. I was just making a point that it's possible to overdue even our nations symbol. I went on the net and found some articles about him and apparently his flag pole is 12'. The hang-up between he and the association is that they will only allow flags to be hung using the brackets that mount to the house. Apparently thats what everyone voted on and everyone else uses. It seems like he could have avoided a lot of grief if he'd just hung it with the bracket!!

Old 09-13-2003, 07:14 PM
zanny
Senior User

Marines don't hang the flag on brackets.
zanny