2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Any experience or feedback on S&B intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 10:23 AM
MBuckholz
Tuned
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
filter effectiveness

Originally Posted by bikerman5345
Actually on the standard ISO test S&B has a 99.56% filter rate on their oiled filters and a 99.76% rate on dry paper filters. They have this information available to you on their website. Also i saw that S&B was in the process of getting their kits for our truck Carb Certified. So these filters work just as good as a factory paper filter while actually improving the turbo efficiency. Ford uses what they do because of costs. Its cheap for them to use those filters and it stops everything you throw at it including the air coming in.
There is a big difference in how much dirt gets into your engine using your data.

Lets say over the first 100,000 miles of driving your engine sucks a hundred pounds of dust through the intake. My good ol' paper air filter will allow 0.24 pounds of dust to pass through the filter element and into the engine's combustion chamber. The S&B filter will allow 0.44 pounds of dirt through the filter element. That is a whooping increase of 83% more dirt into the engine.

Stick with stock, both filtration media and plumbing.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:49 AM
bikerman5345
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MBuckholz
There is a big difference in how much dirt gets into your engine using your data.

Lets say over the first 100,000 miles of driving your engine sucks a hundred pounds of dust through the intake. My good ol' paper air filter will allow 0.24 pounds of dust to pass through the filter element and into the engine's combustion chamber. The S&B filter will allow 0.44 pounds of dirt through the filter element. That is a whooping increase of 83% more dirt into the engine.

Stick with stock, both filtration media and plumbing.
Well i do oil samples on my truck and one section on the report will show you silica and other types of contaminates from dirt. On my stock airbox and filter it was the exact same as my oiled filter. That means no extra dirt is working its way into the engine that is noticeable. Im in the midwest with farm fields and gravel roads so its pretty dusty. I clean my filter every 15k. I also use a pre filter to catch the bugs and big stuff. Now if you buy an ebay filter im sure you are risking your truck. But S&B clearly states your warranty and engine are protected after install of their kit and proper servicing.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:30 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
It’s not S&B’s determination of continuing warranty protection. It’s Ford Motor Company’s call on what is in violation.
Ford clearly states their determination of warranty violations.

What a person decides to do with their truck is their business. No one can tell a person how to enjoy their possessions. But, it is Fords decision on what to cover an issue since they will be paying the bill. If you have an issue down the road, don’t be upset if the bill to fix it lands in your mailbox.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:07 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts
Update?

Stewy,
How did your install go? What’s the noise level change? Noticeable? Throttle response? Acceleration? Etc?
CBE

Old 01-06-2018, 04:21 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
I expect to replace my air filter element annually.
S&B replacement paper element $65
Motorcraft replacement $45
Guess which one I'll use?
After seeing and experiencing issues with a K&N "rechargeable" filter, I'll never go that route again. If the S&B fluid is anything like K&N's, it slowly turns the interior surface of vacuum lines to mush.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:48 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 326 Likes on 230 Posts
I had this style on my '97 7.3, worked great was $40.(diy) Might try it on the new truck.

Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:11 PM
urname7698
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a dyno test was done here:
Let the Air Flow; Installing S&B Filters? Cold Air Intake for the 2017 Ford Super Duty 6.7L Power Stroke

For the lazy:
After completing the installation, the truck is tested again on the dyno. The comparison of the before and after dyno runs shows us that the cold-air upgrade produces a 4hp and 31–lb-ft torque improvement for the 6.7L Power Stroke engine over the stock airbox.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:48 PM
ACK3000
Junior User
At 15k my stock filter was shot. Dealer wanted $90 so I went online and ordered the S&B. Some says there’s 0 gains, some say there’s no way it could be better than fords factory equipment and there might be some truth to that. My primary reason is that you can clean and reuse the filter. If it comes with +4 hp or .5 mph gain then I’ll take it but not expecting it. There’s some smart guys on this forum and what I keep reading is it’s worthwhile if you doing further deletes/engine work. I have and I’m pleased all around.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:48 PM
stewy604
Elder User
Originally Posted by CBEllis
Stewy,
How did your install go? What’s the noise level change? Noticeable? Throttle response? Acceleration? Etc?
CBE

Hey man, haven't thrown it on yet. The weather has been crappy here, so I'm waiting for a dry stretch. Its killing me seeing the box in my garage! I hope to throw it on this Sunday, weather looks good.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:16 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Thinking of ordering one this weekend. After reading-up on it, I think it’s a win/win. Hope the weather improves for ya.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:22 AM
GT4point6
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No experience on the 6.7L with one, had one on my 5.9L Cummins, great intake. Quality, fit, finish, ease of cleaning, etc... Will look at S&B again when my 18' rolls in later this month.
They are out of Fontana CA so if your in the area, you can save some shipping and pick one up, order ahead and ask for pick up

Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 AM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Surprised they have a legal-market in CA ;-)
In TX, just about anything goes, from an emissions standpoint.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare
I expect to replace my air filter element annually.
S&B replacement paper element $65
Motorcraft replacement $45
Guess which one I'll use?
After seeing and experiencing issues with a K&N "rechargeable" filter, I'll never go that route again. If the S&B fluid is anything like K&N's, it slowly turns the interior surface of vacuum lines to mush.
For what it's worth, (I know not much to those whose mind is already made up), but I've been happy with K&N's. I've been running them in my vehicles for years without issue, two of which have 270,000+ miles and the third has 241,000 miles. I began putting a thin coat of clear di-electric grease inside the intake track years ago to see if any dirt/dust was making it past the filter. I can't see anything on a white paper towel when I wipe the grease off before replacing it. I clean my filters about every 15K miles or when they begin to look dirty. To each his own, but I like the concept and they have worked fine for me.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:47 AM
ndogg3539
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump, anyone else installed it? Any issues with check engine lights etc?

Old 03-07-2018, 12:43 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
no limit

Originally Posted by Adam R
For what it's worth, (I know not much to those whose mind is already made up), but I've been happy with K&N's. I've been running them in my vehicles for years without issue, two of which have 270,000+ miles and the third has 241,000 miles. I began putting a thin coat of clear di-electric grease inside the intake track years ago to see if any dirt/dust was making it past the filter. I can't see anything on a white paper towel when I wipe the grease off before replacing it. I clean my filters about every 15K miles or when they begin to look dirty. To each his own, but I like the concept and they have worked fine for me.
I ordered this bad boy http://nolimitfabrication.com/image/...17-500x500.jpg

Quick Reply: Any experience or feedback on S&B intakes?