2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Driver's Battery Leaking (check yours) Corroded Cables Disintegrating Clamp

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:34 AM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts
My company has many '13-'16 Super Duty trucks. Have had to replace some of the batteries in them for leaking. Not super common, but does happen. AGM batteries are a permanent solution, but expensive. IMHO the best 'wet' battery is the AC Delco 'Professional Gold' PG series.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:58 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bushpilot
I would inspect the battery tray and INSIST on replacement of the hold down strap.

It is a bit troubling that theyre only replacing the leaking battery - since ONE of the two is likely being over charged or drawling too much from the other battery....

batteries should always be replaced together at the same time, since its likely that a bad battery will kill or at least shorten the life of a good one when theyre wired in parallel.
There was a thread a few months back that said they are charged independently. If that's the case, the need for replacing batteries in pairs would be finally gone. Can anyone confirm?

Old 12-23-2017, 07:43 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009kr
There was a thread a few months back that said they are charged independently. If that's the case, the need for replacing batteries in pairs would be finally gone. Can anyone confirm?
the batteries are wired together in parallel - how could they be charged independently? there is no isolation relay either.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:44 AM
tibadoe
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2009kr
Nope -- Parallel hook-up.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:53 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tibadoe
Nope -- Parallel hook-up.
agreed all anyone has to do is open the hood and follow the battery cables.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:07 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Mine had a little bit of fluid around the caps but no corrosion anywhere. I’m using CRC battery terminal protectant on everything. I think it will be ok. That being said, if these batteries continue to leak, what’s the best option for replacement?

Old 12-23-2017, 11:01 PM
F250Ninja
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been keeping an eye on mine for the last 6-8 months (cleaning and talking with service)
I stopped by to schedule my next to oil change. I brought it up again. They said ok let’s summit it to ford.
1.5 day later. I got the green light for warranty. 2 batteries and 1 corroded hold down bracket being replaced.
Work being done dec 29th.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:30 AM
UpInSm0kE
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just looked under the hood of my new to me 17 F250 6.7 with 14k on the clock and sure enough the driver battery hold down has corrosion build up on it. The passenger battery looks perfectly fine so mine goes in to the dealer on Wednesday next week to get looked at. I also, found a brake fluid leak on or around the brake fluid res. It has been leaking long enough to have almost soaked a portion of the driver front wheel well.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:51 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My DS battery has no corrosion yet but does have some evidence of acid on top. I do think as stated above that it is because of the direction it is facing. more of a chance of electrolyte coming out the cap during accel/decel.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:26 PM
mrpickles
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grouperjim
BP thanks for posting this. I just checked mine and both port and starboard side batts had leaked enough acid to corrode the hold-downs. I think it's just splashing a little acid up/around the caps. Maybe having the driver's side batt mounted in the fore/aft position is causing the acid in the fwd cells to well up and spew a little acid during hard braking (?). If the issue pops up again there may be a couple of sealed batts in my future.

Removed and inspected batts. everything appeared OK. Plenty of meat still left on the hold-downs so I ground them down, primed, base coated and cleared them. Had some marine-grade weather stripping left over from a boat project so I figured this will probably be a recurring issue unless I isolate the metal hold-downs from the top of the batts.
Why didn't you just get it replaced under warranty?

Old 12-26-2017, 12:10 PM
DISLTom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While you guys are messin' around with the batteries, now's a good time to check them and if necessary top them up with distilled water.

Checked mine in early summer and they were very low on fluids.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:16 PM
tibadoe
Elder User
Unless I'm out of town, I pop the caps on both batteries monthly and check the electrolyte levels. Haven't had to add any distilled water since the initial top off.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:24 PM
t5killer
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I want to thank the OP for letting us know about this issue. I brought my 2017 6.7L in for an oil / fuel filter service today and pointed out the corrosion on the driver side battery hold-down bracket and some evidence of leakage on the passenger side battery, and they replaced both batteries under warranty.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:54 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
It’s not just a problem on the 6.7’s. My 6.2 has been starting funny lately so I went to have my batteries tested and found that my drivers side battery has 2 half inch long cracks around the postitive terminal. It had acid all over the place! The passenger side battery tested weak at about 550 cca too. The drivers side battery looks like the positive terminal has been hit with a hammer.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:05 AM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have seen this issue mentioned a number of times here in the '17 forum.

My drivers side was replaced due to leaking also. Bracket included.

Quick Reply: Driver's Battery Leaking (check yours) Corroded Cables Disintegrating Clamp