Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Choosing an Engine-new 2018 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:42 AM
dbarrym
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a techo-phobe, but as someone who has owned numerous turbo- and super-charged factory vehicles, as well as keeping my vehicles for 100k+ miles...big fan of naturally aspirated motors for the long term. Work a small displacement turbo motor with big boost hard for long enough and general wear, seals drying out from high temps, oil coking/decomposition, leaks and turbo bearing wear will cost much more in the long run. A turbo rebuild and exhaust seal replacement on my last turbo'd car at 80k cost over $5k.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:10 AM
Ozark Mnt Daredevil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You really can't go wrong with any of the engine options. I had a 2018 3.5 Ecoboost and a 5.0 long term loaner, both had problems with the 10 speed. The 3.5 had 1300 miles when the transmission failed and the 5.0 had 2600. The 5.0 was a dealer demo vehicle before it was my loaner. My 3.5 Eco was new and I was the only person besides my salesman who drove it. I hadn't towed with it yet and the heaviest it hauled was myself, a friend, and 500 lbs for a total of 900lbs payload. Well below the 16xx payload listed on the sticker.

I would say that my experience was not typical and that I am more than happy with how the situation was taken care of. I love my new Super Duty.

I was skeptical of the Ecoboost before I drove it. In anything other than flat terrain, which there isn't a lot of around here, the 3.5 Ecoboost is hands down a better driving experience than the 5.0. On the same 70 mile route to one of my shops on mainly state and secondary highways at 60-70 mph I much preferred the 3.5 over the 5.0. On hills the 3.5 pulled them harder at lower RPM and held gears better. On a given hill the 3.5 would hold 10th or drop to 9th, RPMs staying relatively and you could see the boost gauge go up. The 5.0 on the other hand would go 10th down to 8th and occasionally 7th and turn higher RPMs. Both trucks did it just fine the 5.0 just felt like it had to work harder to do it.

Both trucks were Lariat 502a, 20" wheel, 4x4, with 3.55s almost identically optioned except for engines - basically an apples to apples comparison. Both trucks did the same run loaded the same way and the 3.5 Ecoboost was just a better and more relaxed driving experience with much more torque available at lower RPMs.

They both returned mileage close to each other on the highway, 1-2 MPGs more in Ecoboost than the 5.0. Around town I got 2-3 MPG better in the Ecoboost than the 5.0. That was over multiple tanks in each of them.

If the power delivery in the 2.7 is anything like the 3.5 it would be a great option to consider vs. the 5.0. If you can swing it I'd recommend the 3.5. Sure it's the most expensive option, but there is a reason it's the premium engine offering.

I'm not against the 5.0 at all. I have V8s in my drag car and road race car and love them. A lot of people here have 5.0s in their trucks and love them. I've had more V8s than I can count and never thought I would be o.k. with a V6 in a full size but the Ecoboost is just that good.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:42 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
Originally Posted by AD8BC
I have been driving my 2004 XLT for 12 years now. It has the 4.6L Triton V-8, which was the smaller engine on the 2004 (they introduced the V-6 option on the 2005). The 4.6 has been a good engine for me, pleasant enough for normal driving, and it handles the occasional U-haul trailering experience.
I've set a stretch goal to save up for and purchase a new F-150 by the time the 2018 December incentives come along. In my research, I've found that the new F-150s have three V-6 EcoBoost options and one 5.0L V-8 option. I know I've been out of the new-truck game for a long time now, and I may sound like an old fogey that thinks V-6 engines in a full size are undersized, but I'm willing to change... which model engine should I go with? I tow occasionally, usually smaller trailers. Mostly I just want to be happy with driving the thing. Should I go with the new 3.3? Or should I splurge on the 3.5? Or should I bite the bullet and shoot for the moon with the V-8?

Your personal opinions are fine here. Thanks for your input!
When it comes to towing HP isn't as important as torque. Take a look at this page. The torque of that 2.7 is the same as the V8 !

Got to YouTube and checkout the videos of that engine towing and you'll be surprised beyond belief.

Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2018, 12:49 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
Oh and if you're worried about the sound of the 2.7 take a look at these aftermarket exhausts that make it sound bigger than it really is. What I like the most is it gives it the dual exhaust that you don't get until you get into the expensive F150s.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:08 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 221 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroCare
When it comes to towing HP isn't as important as torque. Take a look at this page. The torque of that 2.7 is the same as the V8 !

Got to YouTube and checkout the videos of that engine towing and you'll be surprised beyond belief.
The torque in the 2.7 comes on at 2000 RPM. It actually has more torque than the 5.0 in the range of 2000 through about 3500 RPM. Point being in many uses, it will feel more powerful than the 5.0. It surprises a lot of people. And oh, BTW, the 3.3 is Naturally Aspirated (not turbo'd).

Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GlueGuy,That's Naturally Aspirated. Thank You

Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ecoboost12
GlueGuy,That's Naturally Aspirated. Thank You
10 Q. Fixed

Old 02-25-2018, 09:06 PM
forgottenben
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve only had my 2016 3.5 eco for a week but holy cow is it powerful. I love the instant power, especially in sport mode. With that said it was the only engine option for what I wanted but if it were available I would have gone with the 5.0.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:07 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by forgottenben
I’ve only had my 2016 3.5 eco for a week but holy cow is it powerful. I love the instant power, especially in sport mode. With that said it was the only engine option for what I wanted but if it were available I would have gone with the 5.0.
I had to pull our utility trailer around a bit yesterday, and the 3.5L EB was almost too much power in a couple of low-traction areas. I had to switch to 4WD to maintain enough traction. This was off-road, so extenuating circumstances. None-the-less, it was interesting.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:01 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dbarrym
Not a techo-phobe, but as someone who has owned numerous turbo- and super-charged factory vehicles, as well as keeping my vehicles for 100k+ miles...big fan of naturally aspirated motors for the long term. Work a small displacement turbo motor with big boost hard for long enough and general wear, seals drying out from high temps, oil coking/decomposition, leaks and turbo bearing wear will cost much more in the long run. A turbo rebuild and exhaust seal replacement on my last turbo'd car at 80k cost over $5k.
This is my biggest concern. I've had a turbocharged vehicle before, and at 100k miles, it was junk. Every fluid that passed through the engine leaked. I'm sure technology has improved significantly in the past 30+ years however even Ford's brilliant engineers () cannot escape the laws of physics. What are these trucks going to be like when they all have 100-200k+ miles on them? When all the turbo seals are worn out and the intake valves are gummed up from years of carbon deposits from average owners using 87 octane gasoline? Face it, most owners are not going to be as **** about their vehicle's maintenance as people like us are.
If I was buying a new truck, I'd get the 5.0. The 3.3 has less power than my already underpowered 3.7; and I'm not interested in paying the $5000 premium for the diesel. Although I am concerned about the overall reliability of the 10-speed automatic for a couple more years. Ford being Ford, give them a year or two to get the bugs worked out and then it should be a rock-solid platform. By then they'll be discontinuing 10-speed and moving onto 15-speed or something!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:34 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
They've been around for over 6 years now so I suppose Ford has torn down some higher mileage engines and studied them in order to make changes to the newer generation turbo charged engines.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:07 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by AeroCare
They've been around for over 6 years now so I suppose Ford has torn down some higher mileage engines and studied them in order to make changes to the newer generation turbo charged engines.
Closer to 9 years since they've been in production. The 3.5L EB is on its second generation, and the 2.7L EB was introduced in 2015.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:03 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 455 Likes on 332 Posts
Where was that sales summary we had a while back? I think we were closing in on something like a million of these ecoboost engines put into the F150 platform alone. I know some of them were garage queens, but lots are high mileage fleet and work trucks. If there was any kind of serious reliability issue, we have plenty of data to see it. So far, all I hear is opinion and anecdotes.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:06 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Where was that sales summary we had a while back? I think we were closing in on something like a million of these ecoboost engines put into the F150 platform alone. I know some of them were garage queens, but lots are high mileage fleet and work trucks. If there was any kind of serious reliability issue, we have plenty of data to see it. So far, all I hear is opinion and anecdotes.
AMEN !! Although I love to hear people's experience with something I always try to distinguish between the opinion and the fact in their account of the situation.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:25 AM
1carguy
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
We bought a 2017 F-150, 3.5 Ecoboost, S-crew.

We use it to tow our "66 Mustang in an enclosed car trailer. We are towing 11.5 - 12K lbs with the car in the trailer. It tows just great. We get good mileage around town. The truck does everything I wanted it to do.
I would buy the another truck just like this in a heartbeat.

Have fun, Dave

Quick Reply: Choosing an Engine-new 2018 F-150