New 5th Wheel, B&W turnover ball in truck bed already

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:53 PM
F350FordToy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 5th Wheel, B&W turnover ball in truck bed already

Is the B&W companion slider the way to go? Dealer wants to install a Reese rail system in the bed and they want arm and a leg for the companion slider.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:04 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Is the truck a short bed? Sounds so. IF, you have a fifth wheel that is newer than '10 year models, all you need is the standard Companion. The reason for this is that the corners of the camper are 'clipped' or rounded to avoid hitting the cab. This statement will be judged by others, but if you set your hitch up in the rearward setting, the coach will not hit the truck. I've done several this way. Some will say that the weight will be rear of the axle, well, look at where the main Turnover Ball is attached. Most of the weight is there and has very little impact on the setup. Three trucks that camp with us once a month are all short beds with B&W Companion hitches with fifth wheels and have had no problems.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:41 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,442 Likes on 1,031 Posts
X2 above., otherwise i would opt for the ford 5th wheel factory prep

Old 01-30-2017, 06:39 PM
F350FordToy
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Well, I already have the B&W gooseneck ball hitch installed in the truck, removing it and installing the ford factory hitch would not be an option.

It looks like either a B&W companion (slider or non-slider) is my only option right now.

It is a SB truck and the trailer is a 2017 Keystone Sprinter 37' and it does have rounded front.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by F350FordToy
Well, I already have the B&W gooseneck ball hitch installed in the truck, removing it and installing the ford factory hitch would not be an option.

It looks like either a B&W companion (slider or non-slider) is my only option right now.

It is a SB truck and the trailer is a 2017 Keystone Sprinter 37' and it does have rounded front.
With the Companion in and set to the rearward position, you would have to have the nose of the truck up and turned right at 90* to hit from the ones I've done. BUT, each camper is slightly different. My guess is that you'd be safe. By the way, I'm a huge fan of the B&W products.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:31 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
The companions are kinda spendy, I'd shop around, check E-Trailer, etc. I can't help you on slider recommendation or not. Mine's a long bed, and I'm using a standard Companion hitch in mine (which I'm very happy with). I got my Turnover Ball/Companion combo thrown in when I worked the deal for our new 5er last spring.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 AM
F350FordToy
Senior User
Well, camping world price matched eTrailer, so I have a companion on the way.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:43 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Why would he remove a turnover ball to install a Ford factory prep that has more holes in the bed?

Old 01-31-2017, 08:19 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Well, camping world price matched eTrailer, so I have a companion on the way.
Great! It only takes a few minutes to take the new design Companion out and change the settings. I always put them in in the farthest, rearward and the highest position. Then I hook the unit up and head for level ground to make sure the unit is not nose high. I also like to have someone with me and go into a huge parking lot so I can maneuver the rig around, seeing how far I can turn the unit and how close to the cab I get. REMEMBER, that when backing, the unit will get closer to the cab at the same angle as going forward, so that aspect in imperative to watch. Of the 8 that I've set up, only one has ever changed the setting to lower the head of the hitch and that was so his bed cover would close and it was only 1". Take some time and read the directions as they are pretty clear, but will go faster that way..But I know us guys! Be sure to use a good WHITE LITHIUM GREASE on the rubber mounts about every 4-5 times you go out. Like this.

Also, remember to grease the jaws of the head with a good bearing grease from time to time. Doesn't matter if it's red or black grease. Oh, and get you a good torque wrench that goes to 250 ft. lbs. Lowe's has good ones for around $75 in the Kobalt brand. They are great for not only your hitch, but also the lugs on the camper.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:17 AM
sloate9471
Freshman User
While you have already ordered the Companion, I went the other direction. I replaced the pin box on my Cardinal with a Reese Goose Box. It uses the existing B&W Turnover Ball in my truck without having to mess with installation/removal of the Companion. I have the bed free at all times.

I even installed it myself. The nice thing about using the truck bed and the RV landing gear as helpers was that no one told me I was doing it wrong...

Old 02-01-2017, 06:48 AM
F350_FORD
New User
I have a ? that kinda goes along w/ this. I have someone that is going to give me a 5th wheel hitch. I just need to get the mounting brackets for it. When I looked them up I keep get this "will not fit cab & chassis". Could someone tale me what this means or a set of brackets that will fit a 04 crew cab F350.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,689 Likes on 1,663 Posts
Originally Posted by F350_FORD
I have a ? that kinda goes along w/ this. I have someone that is going to give me a 5th wheel hitch. I just need to get the mounting brackets for it. When I looked them up I keep get this "will not fit cab & chassis". Could someone tale me what this means or a set of brackets that will fit a 04 crew cab F350.
Do you have an F350 pick-up?? With a pick-up box on it, or do you have an F350 with like a utility box or flatbed on it? Are the frame rails "arched" over the rear axle, or are they straight?
If you have a pick-up box, you do NOT have a "cab and chassis" truck.
If you have an aftermarket utility box, and the frame rails are not arched over the axle, you DO have a cab and chassis.
"Cab and chassis" trucks are sold as "incomplete" vehicles the people buy to mount a utility, dump box, flatbed or some other type of work body on and have no reason to buy a vehicle with the pickup box onit.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 AM
F350_FORD
New User
99150 I bought it just over a year ago from the Ford dealership with a pick-up box on it. I can not remember if the rails are arched or not but will check and see. Thanks for the answer.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:27 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,689 Likes on 1,663 Posts
Originally Posted by F350_FORD
99150 I bought it just over a year ago from the Ford dealership with a pick-up box on it. I can not remember if the rails are arched or not but will check and see. Thanks for the answer.
If it has a pickup box on it, the odds are REAL LONG that you do NOT have a "Cab and Chassis" because the frame rails on the C&C are a different width than the frame rail on a pickup, so it would be a major job to convert a C&C to a pickup. My guess is you are good to go with the hitch. The difference in width is the main reason nthe hitch does "not fit cab and chassis". Best of luck to you!!

Old 02-12-2017, 02:10 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is the B&W companion slider the way to go? Dealer wants to install a Reese rail system in the bed and they want arm and a leg for the companion slider.
Get the Andersen Ultimate that mounts onto the goose ball. Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection | 5th Wheel Trailer Hitches

Quick Reply: New 5th Wheel, B&W turnover ball in truck bed already