my 305 is not looking too good

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 378 Likes on 289 Posts
Is there any play when the lifter is in the hole? Like side to side and all around? If there is, maybe the lifter is walking side to side at the roller end. Without a tiny T-gage and micrometer set it will be hard to measure though.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:23 PM
olblue77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stuck a lifter in several different bores as well and they all had no play. They were all the same as in how difficult it was to put it in etc, take it out, I’m leaning towards the cam or the first lifter was defective.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is Buddy still going to have the cam checked? If he does, Comp can of course check that lobe especially to see if there's anything wrong with it.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 PM
olblue77
Senior User
I called it off and told buddy when I saw there was nothing wrong with the cam. I will mic the lobe out tomorrow and see is there’s room for suspicion with the lobe. I don’t think there is, I honestly think it was either a faulty lifter or something that had to do with the valve train messed it up. But if there is any discrepancy in the lobe then I will ask buddy if I can send it back to comp.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:06 PM
olblue77
Senior User
I believe I found out why the lifter was side loaded. I put the engine back together and noticed that the #7 exhaust rocker (all valve train was put back where it came out) was not straight on the valve stem tip. Took it out and the guide plate was bent slightly. Used a spare guide plate, good to go. Engine is going back in tomorrow, I'll change the oil wednesday and post if there is any metal in the oil.

As for other things I did differently, I used RTV around the water ports, this go round I used 93331 gaskets instead of the 95952 gaskets, they didn't fit the intake ports on the head perfectly but they cleared the intake ports on the manifold so they'll work. I had to go through the torque sequence 8 times before they were all permanently at 25lbs.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
It'll be great if that's all it was on both accounts. Looking forward to how it turns out.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:28 PM
olblue77
Senior User
Theres still some glitter in the oil but no chunks. Is it normal for a crankcase breather to be smoking quite a bit at this point? I ran that thing hard on the backroads for 30 minutes today and it's still smoking like a chimney while running.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:51 PM
richter roxs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you want to take it easy until the motor breaks in a bit.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:03 PM
olblue77
Senior User
You sure? I only blew a transmission cooler line by the time I was done......
Anyway I guess here’s the start of another conversation. People say to take it easy, other people say you need to run the crap out of it to get the rings to seat. So anyone still tuned in, post your opinion.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
It's not normal. If the machine shop did a good hone job, the rings should have seated already. Actually the last time. You put the pistons back in the same holes they came out of? Your valvetrain is in good working order? If you're really concerned you can do a compression check.

The only other thing I can think of is building some vacuum. Drive it in first up to some higher RPM's and then let off of the accelerator totally. Letting the engine slow the truck down. It closes off the butterflies in the carb, no air can get in but the engine is still turning RPM building a lot of vacuum. That used to help seal rings.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ol'blue77
Theres still some glitter in the oil but no chunks. Is it normal for a crankcase breather to be smoking quite a bit at this point? I ran that thing hard on the backroads for 30 minutes today and it's still smoking like a chimney while running.
When you did your reassembly measurements and inspection, what were the measurements of the ring end gaps? Should fall between .016" to .022" and up to .028" if you plan to spray or do forced induction.
The gaps weren't lined up were they?
There is a myriad of reasons why it could be smoking out of the breather, number one would be that the pcv isn't operating properly. Do you have a quality pcv to pull the fresh filtered air in through the breather?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Justin Jones
It's not normal. If the machine shop did a good hone job, the rings should have seated already. Actually the last time. You put the pistons back in the same holes they came out of? Your valvetrain is in good working order? If you're really concerned you can do a compression check.

The only other thing I can think of is building some vacuum. Drive it in first up to some higher RPM's and then let off of the accelerator totally. Letting the engine slow the truck down. It closes off the butterflies in the carb, no air can get in but the engine is still turning RPM building a lot of vacuum. That used to help seal rings.
This can cause oil consumption on a fresh engine. Since the rings aren't seated the lack of pressure above the piston on the downward motion of the power stroke causes oil to be pulled up passed the rings. Potentially causing carbon buildup and fouled plugs.
This was a big problem on early displacement on demand engines causing warranty issues.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:32 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
I didn't know the mechanics of it. I always heard from some old schoolers that it was a good way to get the rings to seal. It's a good question you posed about the PCV valve.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:05 PM
olblue77
Senior User
I have a breather, and a sealed oil cap. No PCV valve.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:08 PM
olblue77
Senior User
So how can I rig this up for a PCV valve.... my air cleaner has a hole you can punch out for a pcv valve but how am I going to get a pcv valve that can work with my valve covers.... they’re pop in cap not screw in??

Quick Reply: my 305 is not looking too good