2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Question of the Week: Buying a V8 truck - 2017 or 2018?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Jose Lupillo Chavez
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is wait till the end of 19 get the 18 model get better price

Old 08-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
To me it's a no brainer. 2017 for me because of the discounts, 6 speed and no start/stop "feature".
Same here, but I would add that it's essentially a new engine design, along with a newish transmission design. Unless you plan to trade before it's out of warranty, buying a first year (of anything motorized) is always a gamble.

I've been burned a couple of times, and won't be anyone's beta tester again...unless they give it to me for free, of course.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Ottawasteve
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JKBrad
the 2018 5.0 is significantly different than a 2017. It has an all new solid aluminum block with coated cylinder walls. The 2017 has an aluminum block with steel cylinder liners for the pistons. So it's pretty much an all new engine.

Does anybody have a reliable source of information on whether the 2018 coated cylinder walls are expected to be more or less durable than the 2017 cylinder liners ? Is the change in design a cheaper manufacturing process ? Are the coated cylinder walls being used successfully in other applications by Ford ?

Old 08-14-2017, 03:33 PM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve
Does anybody have a reliable source of information on whether the 2018 coated cylinder walls are expected to be more or less durable than the 2017 cylinder liners ? Is the change in design a cheaper manufacturing process ? Are the coated cylinder walls being used successfully in other applications by Ford ?
EuroWeenies been doing it for decades. Generic Motors tried it with the Vega but -- They're Generic Motors. They'd screw up a one car funeral.

I have no doubt that Ford is ready to do this. None.

Green Car Congress: Ford Team Given 2009 National Inventor of the Year Award for Plasma Transferred Wire Arc Engine Coating Technology

They also licensed it to Nissan for the GT350-R

Technology comes out of Japan, huh??

Old 08-14-2017, 04:21 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I bought a 2017 Screw Platinum V8 because I didn't want auto stop start. I have had it in loaners from Ford, Jeep, and Porsche. I hate it!!! I did not want to be the beta tester for the new 10 speed transmission. Been there done that twice and got FLAMED both times. Never again. Same reasons I didn't go for a 2017 eco-boost.

I went from a 2013 Screw Platinum Eco-boost to my 17. Gas mileage is about the same. The first few thousand miles I really missed the eco-boost power but my 5.0 V8 seems to have broken in and now feel just as quick.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Originally Posted by The Big Tow
EuroWeenies been doing it for decades. Generic Motors tried it with the Vega but -- They're Generic Motors. They'd screw up a one car funeral.

I have no doubt that Ford is ready to do this. None.

Green Car Congress: Ford Team Given 2009 National Inventor of the Year Award for Plasma Transferred Wire Arc Engine Coating Technology

They also licensed it to Nissan for the GT350-R

Technology comes out of Japan, huh??

SkiDoo is using a similar process on their new 850 engine, but it's too soon to say how durable it is. Sleds live a tough life, with long periods of time at full throttle, at around 8k RPM. They have traditionally used a Nikasil coating on aluminum cylinders, for the last 4 decades. If you want to see how well that plasma coating lasts, check up on that 850 in a few years.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:41 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Yamaha has been coating the cylinders in their outboard engines for about a decade now. Ford and Yamaha have had a working relationship since the original Taurus SHO.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:06 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big Tow
The original Vega engine was not coated. It was en exposed silicon kind of thing. Bottom line was the same; it didn't work as expected.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Yamaha has been coating the cylinders in their outboard engines for about a decade now. Ford and Yamaha have had a working relationship since the original Taurus SHO.

Coating them with what? The same ferrous compound as Ford? Ford claims this is a "new" coating. "Plasma" coating is just a fancy term for spraying molten metal onto the cylinder wall (rather than electroplating, like Nikasil and chrome), but there are lots of alloys that could be used.

My bet is that these ferrous coatings won't be better than Nikasil, and they are only doing it because of the hazardous waste (EPA) issues that result from the Nikasil process. When talking about something with the production volumes of cars and trucks, that is a huge consideration for them.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Tn.Lariat
New User
If it were me I'd go with the 18' if you plan on keeping it for awhile. The 18' has added port injection to help keep valves cleaner and deter carbon build up. I love my 10sp trans and am aware that most issues can be fix with a firmware update. Also auto start/stop works great unless your in heavy traffic but all it takes is to push a button to turn it off.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:49 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Tn.Lariat
If it were me I'd go with the 18' if you plan on keeping it for awhile. The 18' has added port injection to help keep valves cleaner and deter carbon build up. I love my 10sp trans and am aware that most issues can be fix with a firmware update. Also auto start/stop works great unless your in heavy traffic but all it takes is to push a button to turn it off.
Dual injection equates to more complexity and higher repair cost and carbon build up is not a problem for the 5.0.

As far as the Stop/Start feature, yes, it can be turned off on the current vehicles with the EcoBoost engines but no one knows if this feature can be turned off on the 2018 vehicles.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:57 AM
mroberts8899
Senior User
My lease is up on my 2014 so I will be buying a 2018 because I don't care for the "Tombstone" style grille like on the 15 to 17. And I keep bumping my head on my 2014 grille because it is attached to the hood.
Don't care for the stop/start feature but hopefully it will shut off each time I get in the truck like most of the newer Fords that have it. The Escape has a button on the dash to shut it off and I just checked the parts catalog and the 2018 F150 has the shut off button up top,center dash next to the traction control and hill descent button.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:06 PM
phillycincykid
Senior User
Ive always had the logic of wait a year when something different comes out. Even thou its not truly different technology , I'm waiting for them to "ecoboost" the v8.
I'm looking at buying a used 15 or 16 v8 to let someone else take a hit on the depreciation. i'm on a fixed income.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
GM isn't even doing much with its 6.2, Ram is still maxing out either the 5.7. The competition aren't giving Ford a reason to do it.

Originally Posted by phillycincykid
Ive always had the logic of wait a year when something different comes out. Even thou its not truly different technology , I'm waiting for them to "ecoboost" the v8.
I'm looking at buying a used 15 or 16 v8 to let someone else take a hit on the depreciation. i'm on a fixed income.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:26 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
If or when a V8 gets EcoBoosted, I would expect to see that in a Super Duty. With stricter EPA mandates in the coming years I wouldn't be surprised to see the F150 replaced by the Ranger. Then all full size pickups would be Super Duties and not have to comply to EPA regulations. If the EPA creeps into the under 10,000 GVWR market, then all Super Duties will get rated over that.

It's a silly game. That's one reason true compact trucks are gone. EPA Footprints killed them. That's why the new Ranger will be so big.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Buying a V8 truck - 2017 or 2018?