6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DRIVE TO CLEAN MESSAGE ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:17 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
There are two messages: "Cleaning exhaust filter", which is the normal message that flashes for a second or two, or Exhaust Overloaded, Drive to Clean", which is more severe of a situation, and stays on the screen until completed..... Just reread the OP's first post, he is indeed getting the "Exhaust Overloaded Drive to Clean" message. OP may have something going on, possibly a flakey EGT sensor that is throwing wacky readings, but not enough to set a CEL. I had that in my 2011 with EGT12 that wouldnt complete a regen either.
Thanks for setting the record straight - I knew there were 2, one "normal" and another "bad". Hope OP got to a Ford dealer before the truck shut down.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:37 AM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
Hope OP got to a Ford dealer before the truck shut down.
Some say he's still "driving to clean" to this day...

Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 AM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
I got the same message for the first time yesterday. Oddly though, I had towed our camper about 110 miles on Thursday, camped a couple days, and it came on when hooking up to come home. It should have cleaned up on the way down, no?

Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 PM
bnpeters
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem last week in Colorado with an 8000# trailer. Between Pagosa Springs and Durango and that message came on. After I hit ok 3 times the red warning Exhaust Filter Full came on along with the check engine light and low power mode. I called the Durango dealer after limping into my stopping place and they said go drive it without the trailer hooked up and see if it cleans the filter, otherwise we have to look at it.
I drove 30 minutes or so with the orange cleaning filter warning light on and after that it went off with all the other warning lights. Drove 700 miles in 10 days around SW Colorado and no issues. Hooked up to go home and started all over again between Pagosa and Santa Fe.
I have since been told that if the regen does not complete a cycle the system shuts down and the filter collects soot. I believe that is accurate because I used no DEF. The only fix is to have the dealer manually regen which costs a couple hours of your vacation travel, $150 and 1/4 tank of fuel. Been on the phone with Ford CRC for 2 days. It would be nice if they let you know when regen started, completed and how full the filter was before you get stranded in BFE with no cell service and a trailer tied to you.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:47 PM
marspec
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 6,7 approx 48K miles. Hardly ever dpf msg but I sure can notice the jump in EGT temps.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:30 PM
gwg42
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bnpeters - I had same problem with my truck between Steamboat Springs, Breckenridge, and Col Springs. Hot Day, mountain driving at higher altitudes. Have talked to additional people experiencing similar problem in mountains, heat, higher altitudes. Every message, warning signals that others have mentioned. Col Springs ford dealer said unhitch trailer (16500 lbs) and drive south on expressway. Did about 60 mile roundtrip and problems went away, no more msgs, wrench symbols etc. Ford has not fixed or ever addressed my problem. Local dealer has no idea. I am in Alaska today, a regen happens any day that exhaust % gets to 95%. On travel days depending on stop location the mileage could be 350 to 500 miles and regen happens every travel day. Cool weather in Canada and Alaska and no regen problems. Over 6700 miles since leaving Txs in mid June.

Last edited by gwg42; 07-31-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Typo on miles driven
Old 08-01-2017, 11:16 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
OK guys, thanks. I have a good bit of drive time in DPF equipped trucks and this is the first time I've seen this exact message. I HAD JUST FINISHED TOWING MY 17,000 LB TRAILER FROM BILLINGS TO CODY. There is no way that the DPF should have been 100% full if the system was working right.

Since the incident occurred I have had one sort of normal regen with the monitor showing 97% full, the cleaning occurring and the monitor showing the DPF going down to 30% full. That it only cleaned down to 30% concerns me but I'm not sure the EDGE is absolutely accurate and again I have no code.

Sooo, who thinks it would be worth my while to buy the sensor and put it in the glove box? And if so what sensor?

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:28 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
My vote is to keep on trucking.... One strange incident doesn't require any action at this point IMO.

BTW... My truck has 124k miles and no major emission related issues to date. I did have a CEL earlier this year which turned out to be a defective Nox sensor which was replaced at a Ford dealer.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:42 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bnpeters
....... It would be nice if they let you know when regen started, completed and how full the filter was before you get stranded in BFE with no cell service and a trailer tied to you.
First bnpeters welcome to the site!
It took me a second to figure out where BFE was and it brought a smile to my face...I haven't seen that in a while!

Old 08-02-2017, 06:03 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 908 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
My vote is to keep on trucking.... One strange incident doesn't require any action at this point IMO.

BTW... My truck has 124k miles and no major emission related issues to date. I did have a CEL earlier this year which turned out to be a defective Nox sensor which was replaced at a Ford dealer.

This is my vote too. With regards to the sensors, the EGT sensors can be had for about $40 each, a lot of guys in 2011's and 2012's were keeping a spare as to not get stranded(I did too, never used it). That was fixed however in a later PCM calibration. I'm pretty sure the other sensors in the exhaust like NOX are quite a bit more expensive, and probably not worth having a spare laying around.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just to ease your mind, I monitor with both the added % DPF Full screen and my Edge CTS and I have NEVER had the %DPF go below 30 during a regen, but have had it drop to 25 after. Much of the time, it only goes down to 35-40 and I had one or two stop reading 50 or 55. I added the DPF Load to the CTS and it always shows zero at the end of a regen, but the regens don't start until long after that PID shows 100%. But they always start when the %DPF Full screen shows Exhaust Filter Full.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Joe/GA
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
You may have reached the 500 mile since last regen limit. It doesn't matter what % full the DPF is, it will force an active regen.
Maybe that's what happened to me the other day. I was towing my camper and had elevated EGT's and I could see the % of soot decreasing from 80 something % and I knew I was getting some good ol' passive regen. When it got down to about 30% it went into a short active regen. I was wondering what the heck?

Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Just to ease your mind, I monitor with both the added % DPF Full screen and my Edge CTS and I have NEVER had the %DPF go below 30 during a regen, but have had it drop to 25 after. Much of the time, it only goes down to 35-40 and I had one or two stop reading 50 or 55. I added the DPF Load to the CTS and it always shows zero at the end of a regen, but the regens don't start until long after that PID shows 100%. But they always start when the %DPF Full screen shows Exhaust Filter Full.
I haven't been on here much because this truck has been so good so forgive me for asking but what is a DPF full screen? Is that ssomething in the messae center? How do I get it?

Thanks

Old 08-02-2017, 04:19 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Your dealer can enable it or you can use Forescan and enable it yourself. It was kind of easy however there are a bunch of prerequisites you must complete before making it happen with Forescan.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16902773

Old 08-02-2017, 06:11 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I think im seeing a pattern here. PROSTICK bgpeters, gwg42 and I all had similar incidents with the DPF failing to clean when it should have.

We all had a day of towing at altitude on hot days followed by a DPF FULL DRIVE TO CLEAN message. Two occurances is coincidence three is a pattern, four is a trend. I know how to fix it like i did the 6.4. My DPF is still in my shop attic. Lol. I'm gonna start a new thread and see who else might have the same experience.

Quick Reply: DRIVE TO CLEAN MESSAGE ????