6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 no start (video link)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Jimmyl21
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 no start (video link)

here's a link to a video I made about my truck so you can see it. https://youtu.be/DYzDnykk4Dg

Old 07-22-2017, 08:32 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmyl21
here's a link to a video I made about my truck so you can see it. https://youtu.be/DYzDnykk4Dg
You probably have a short in one of the 3 wire sensors, start by disconnecting 3 wire sensors one at a time attempting to start after each one is disconnected, start with the clutch fan connector. The truck will never start with the PCM unplugged. With everything hooked up and the key in the run position you should be able to start it by disconnecting the starter wire on the passenger fender to the positive post on the passenger battery, the starter wire is has a round pinch type connector, once pulled apart you will see one side has a pin in it, touch that to the positive battery post and it will crank and start just make sure the key is in the run position.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:08 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,422 Posts
Having three threads going about the same issue isn't going to get more coverage, just harder for someone wondering in to know what the history is.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Jimmyl21
Junior User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
You probably have a short in one of the 3 wire sensors, start by disconnecting 3 wire sensors one at a time attempting to start after each one is disconnected, start with the clutch fan connector. The truck will never start with the PCM unplugged. With everything hooked up and the key in the run position you should be able to start it by disconnecting the starter wire on the passenger fender to the positive post on the passenger battery, the starter wire is has a round pinch type connector, once pulled apart you will see one side has a pin in it, touch that to the positive battery post and it will crank and start just make sure the key is in the run position.
I've done that, it seems like it just does not want to fire at all.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
It won't fire because that is used to just prime the high pressure oil system, it completely bypasses the FICM. The thing here though is that we want to make sure you are getting power to the actual starter. Looks like you are.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I've done that, it seems like it just does not want to fire at all.
Sorry for the double post fellas, but Jimmy, MAYBE this could be your issue...

6.0 no crank signal - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Old 07-22-2017, 12:57 PM
Jimmyl21
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tofan
Sorry for the double post fellas, but Jimmy, MAYBE this could be your issue...

6.0 no crank signal - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
this is gonna be a dumb question but I'm not sure I'm getting what he's doing. He also had different codes. I'll read it more close when I can, thank you.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofan
It won't fire because that is used to just prime the high pressure oil system, it completely bypasses the FICM. The thing here though is that we want to make sure you are getting power to the actual starter. Looks like you are.
Not sure if this is in reference to what I posted but, it will in fact start with that jumper wire provided that the key is set to the run position and everything is connected as it should be.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Jimmyl21
Junior User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Not sure if this is in reference to what I posted but, it will in fact start with that jumper wire provided that the key is set to the run position and everything is connected as it should be.
It started before doing that but it stalled later. This only would work on a cold start under 30 degrees about and it wouldn't start after..

Old 07-23-2017, 08:14 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you looked at the harness for chaffing yet. Have you unplugged the EOT and ECT sensors yet. Do you have a scan gauge to give us some PID numbers. We dont need anymore videos we need numbers. You have three threads going about the same issue but your not doing anything about it.

It's apparent you have a short but I'm in web world and can't physically help. That's where you come in. Start unplugging wires.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Jimmyl21
Junior User
Originally Posted by FiznUKa
Have you looked at the harness for chaffing yet. Have you unplugged the EOT and ECT sensors yet. Do you have a scan gauge to give us some PID numbers. We dont need anymore videos we need numbers. You have three threads going about the same issue but your not doing anything about it.

It's apparent you have a short but I'm in web world and can't physically help. That's where you come in. Start unplugging wires.
i don't have all the time kn the world to check it, going to tomorrow. It's not parked at my house. I'm most likely going to have my buddy fix it because I'm not going to spend 100$ on a scan gauge adding more to my list of money.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What did you use to check the codes? Was it just a code reader. There are cheap options for gauges just need to buy a $20 elm adapter and download torque pro for android or forscan a windows laptop. Tonight I would look in the tech folder for the 6.0 bible and study where the sensors are located then print out the PCM diagram and note which ones go to that center plug.

The best tool in the toolbox is a monitoring device that reads the codes and PID's. With out it it's just a guessing game. Nice thing is at least you have a starting point with the three sensor codes.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:14 AM
Jimmyl21
Junior User
What did you use to check the codes? Was it just a code reader. There are cheap options for gauges just need to buy a $20 elm adapter and download torque pro for android or forscan a windows laptop. Tonight I would look in the tech folder for the 6.0 bible and study where the sensors are located then print out the PCM diagram and note which ones go to that center plug.

The best tool in the toolbox is a monitoring device that reads the codes and PID's. With out it it's just a guessing game. Nice thing is at least you have a starting point with the three sensor codes.
i used a regular scanner. I looked in the 6.0 bible and is the Elm that OBD2 connector that's bluetooth?

Old 07-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Jimmyl21
Junior User

i don't see any wire chaffing. Looks like oil on the eot sensor, just a little. Unplugged eot ect icp and ebp and still got nothing. No crank unless I unplug middle pcm. Going for other sensors now. Will try to test ficm.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Jimmyl21
Junior User
i don't see any wire chaffing. Looks like oil on the eot sensor, just a little. Unplugged eot ect icp and ebp and still got nothing. No crank unless I unplug middle pcm. Going for other sensors now. Will try to test ficm.

Low and behold it was the fan connector... I could get the connector out as bad as it sounds so I know it's that, but now the truck will just crank.

Quick Reply: 6.0 no start (video link)