2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Cab Lights or No Cab Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Steve8S
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cab Lights or No Cab Lights?

I am ordering a 2017 F350 SRW CC SB, Lariat ultimate FX4 because I know exactly what options and configuration I want, except whether or not I want to opt for the clearance lights. My main concern is fitting the truck in my garage. Do the clearance lights add to overall height or inhibit the ability to get your truck in the garage? I have about 81.5" of clearance, with a slight incline to the garage door. I like cab lights, but don't need to have them, so it's making a small decision quite difficult.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:06 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
I've read a couple of times on the forum that the cab light are no taller than the roofline.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:15 AM
dzlbudman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Highest point of the cab is the back. Seems to be where ppl have been hitting the parking garages with clearance issues.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:36 AM
JohnnyMarauder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Until you put a level kit on it.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:09 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My F350 long box, lariat on 18" wheels with stock tires is just over 81" tall. If you do a front level or larger tires, your cab at the back is going to squeek through your door just barely. With a level, the cab lights will be just as high as the back.

I recommend you test drive and do a test fit very carefully with a cab light model with same wheel and suspension package you plan to order. That's what I did to test my current long box, just to be sure on length. My old 2005 short box was 6'8" with larger tires, and fit in the park are at work. My new long box no beuno at work, had to move outside.

Because your drive is sloped down at the entry, you just might make it. I had the opposite issue with one entry into the parade, *** high, meant the back of the cab on the old truck was very close to the entry at the door. Once in and level no problem, but the one entry way was very concerning.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Steve8S
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
My F350 long box, lariat on 18" wheels with stock tires is just over 81" tall. If you do a front level or larger tires, your cab at the back is going to squeek through your door just barely. With a level, the cab lights will be just as high as the back.

I recommend you test drive and do a test fit very carefully with a cab light model with same wheel and suspension package you plan to order. That's what I did to test my current long box, just to be sure on length. My old 2005 short box was 6'8" with larger tires, and fit in the park are at work. My new long box no beuno at work, had to move outside.

Because your drive is sloped down at the entry, you just might make it. I had the opposite issue with one entry into the parade, *** high, meant the back of the cab on the old truck was very close to the entry at the door. Once in and level no problem, but the one entry way was very concerning.
Thanks for the info. I went by the dealer near me this morning to do just that, but they only had some 250s on the lot. The dealer I am ordering from is much larger, with similar vehicles in stock, but is 50 miles away, so I'm guessing they wouldn't be too excited about a 100 mile test drive. I also just heard from the salesman I'm dealing with that some of their 2017s on the lot are substantially leaking through the cab lights, so I guess that's helping the decision. With the almost daily summer monsoons here in the sunshine state, I'm not sure I want to take that chance.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:53 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
There have been a number of reports of leaking cab lights here on the forum. That corroborates what your remote dealer is saying.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:20 PM
#1Ford
New User
You might want to look real close at the specs with your door opening height of close to 81.5". The truck you are wanting is listed at 81.3" tall without options in the Ford spec. sheet. Options can be many things but in my case it was 20 inch wheels which add 0.20" in height. On my F250 listed in the spec. sheet as 81.5" it ended up being 81.7" tall.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:39 PM
Mining Guy
Senior User
Get the clearance lights

You will be fine.
Mine do not leak.

I have about 3/4" clearance to get into my garage.
Highest point is the rear of the cab.

Last edited by Mining Guy; 10-07-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 06-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
No leaks from my cab lights yet...I'm in South Louisiana where rain was invented!!

Old 06-24-2017, 07:08 PM
Wes Hightower
Elder User
I wanted them on my truck but it was the only option that the dealer couldn't source on an existing truck. Five holes in the roof is never a good thing but so long as the factory installed them they'll have to stand behind them if they leak.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:50 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I ordered the same truck a few weeks ago (I just got my VIN yesterday). I had the exact same dilemma regarding cab-lights and clearing the garage (same opening height for me, also with a slight uphill slope to the garage threshold).

I ended up skipping on the lights to help my chances. However, I now realize I shot myself in the foot because I ordered the 20" wheels without doing the math and recognizing that they would lift the truck.

I've attempted to do the garage geometry calculations and there is a very slight chance the truck will still fit owing to the wheelbase and that uphill slope to the garage threshold. However, standing next to one of these trucks on the lot, I'd say there is absolutely no chance. It will be a good while (6-9 more weeks) before I know the outcome. (I guess that gives me time to research hail protection.)

Old 06-24-2017, 07:57 PM
vancouverbrian
More Turbo
Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts
I have my F350 Lariat on order and took months to agonize over every option. I decided not to have clearance lights due to the chance of leaks. I decided I did not need them and the risk of leaks was too high. It was never about the money. Good luck on your truck.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:07 PM
hinsong
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No way mine's going in the garage (wife parks in there and there's no way I'm parking next to her!) so I wanted the cab lights since they can't be added easily. I didn't order, and I'll tell you this...once you add cab lights in the search criteria, it really cuts down on the trucks available. I'm guessing there are more out there without than with. No leaking issues with mine, though and we've had 11+ inches of rain this week.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:17 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by vancouverbrian
I have my F350 Lariat on order and took months to agonize over every option. I decided not to have clearance lights due to the chance of leaks. I decided I did not need them and the risk of leaks was too high. It was never about the money. Good luck on your truck.
Good decision IMO. 5-6 holes in the roof is NOT a good option. Yes, I think they look good, but, they provide no benefit IMO and are just a potential for problems.

Feel the same way about 2 huge a__ holes for moon / sun roof. I do like em and think they're neat..... But not on my truck. It will leak..... It's just a matter of wheen.

Just MO.

Quick Reply: Cab Lights or No Cab Lights?