1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 F-150 with the 300 inline 6-- oil in air filter and air filter pan!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:56 PM
boothead
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1985 F-150 with the 300 inline 6-- oil in air filter and air filter pan!!

Okay, I have a 1985 Ford F-150 with the 300 six. I am 15 years old and I plan to fix up this truck for me to drive as my first vehicle. Unfortunately, this truck has some issues. One in particular is the engine oil in the air filter pan. Yes, I have a BRAND NEW PCV valve that I put in. What should I do in order to go about fixing that leak? Once I get this thing mechanically in shape, it's getting a paint job and some General Grabbers! Thanks in advance for any help and advice. I can't wait to get this truck ready for me to drive it to high school!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:49 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,794 Posts
Lets see if I canmake this post stick, lost the last one

First welcome to FTE.

How many miles on the motor?
Can you do a compression or leak down test on the motor so you/we know what shape it is in.
How dirty/clean and thin/thick is the oil?

If you did not know oil in the air filter is blow by. This is caused from air making it pass the rings (blow by) and filling the crankcase.
This air has to go some where and the PCV can not fast enough so it goes out the hose that the PCV should be pulling air into the crank case.

Some times the rings get stick on the pistons. You can try Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil to see if they will un-stick them.
For the MMO pull all the plugs and pour some in the plug holes, put the plug back in and let sit and do its job for a week or two, longer the better. During this time top it off every other day or so. May also turn the motor over by hand say 1/4 turn just before you top off.

STAND BACK WHEN YOU DO THIS!
When the time comes to start it remove all the plugs and crank the motor over. Oil still in the holes will come shooting out and spray anything on the plug side of the motor.
When no more comes out install the plugs and start it. Get it up to temp at idle then drain the oil and change filter.
Fill with fresh oil & filter adding 1 qt of MMO to the crank case in place of a qt of oil.
You may have to repeat this but if not better after doing this 2 times you might have to pull the motor apart for a rebuild.

I had a motor the rings were stuck to the piston lands. Because I was doing a very cheap rebuild, everything was with in factory spec.
After getting rings off the pistons I used Easy Off Oven Cleaner to clean the pistons, Honed the cly to break the glaze and using new bearings and rings put the motor back together. Ran great no blow by or smoke out the tail pipe, was used in my drag car.

Let us know no the mileage and if you can do the test what you get.
Dave ----

Old 06-20-2017, 11:12 PM
zonker
Junior User
Maybe you have an oil bath air cleaner? Haha

Seriously though, fuzzface has you looking in the right direction. Even though you replaced the pcv valve, make sure there is good vacuum coming out of the hose when it is running. A gunked up hose or a vacuum leak on that line will cause the crankcase to pressurize.

I have an older Fiat X1/9 that billowed smoke out the breather hose, Turns out it's pcv was incorrectly routed. Also I added a oil catch can between the pcv and the vacuum source so I could see if the motor was drinking lots of oil. Now the breather is smoke and oil free, and the catch can collects the excess oil before being sucked back in the motor to carbonize on the intake valves and combustion chamber.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:23 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 692 Likes on 555 Posts
Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,794 Posts
Zonker, a Fiat X1/9 have not heard of that one in a long time.
I had a Fiat 850 sedan, no not the racer or spider but a sedan back in the early 80's.
Fun little car and got 50 MPG driving the crap out of it, wish I had it now for the MPG.
Dave ----

Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 AM
boothead
New User
Well the truck has set a lot, and only has 88k original miles. When i first got it, i noticed it had WAY too much oil in it, so I changed the oil and got a new filter. I can't drive it cause I am only 15, so Dad takes me for rides in it so we can get it figured out, and see what it needs. The other day, after cleaning everything off under the hood, we took it for a spin, and when we got back, oil was back in the air filter pan. So far, we haven't had the chance to fill it up with gas. When we do, I do plan on putting sea foam in it. One other thing I noticed is that it doesn't have the original hose (not sure what it is called) running from the valve cover to the air filter pan. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:38 AM
boothead
New User
Zonker-- thank you for the advice, when I started it up the other day, with the new PCV valve, I noticed that it sucked onto my finger very quickly like a vacuum.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
boothead - you'd do well to post pictures of all your hoses & stuff, it might help make sure you have everything installed correctly so it can work as deigned....

Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 AM
boothead
New User
fuzzface-- Thanks again, I never really knew what blowby was until today. If the seafoam doesn't help clear things up, i will get dad to help me and i will use the MMO and do what you said. I don't think the motor will need a total rebuild, but I am unsure.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 AM
zonker
Junior User
Fiat

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Zonker, a Fiat X1/9 have not heard of that one in a long time.
I had a Fiat 850 sedan, no not the racer or spider but a sedan back in the early 80's.
Fun little car and got 50 MPG driving the crap out of it, wish I had it now for the MPG.
Dave ----
Gotta love those little Italian toys. Here's my baby:

Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 AM
boothead
New User
I will admit, I am green here, and i am also probably the only teenager that doesn't have a smartphone, so i honestly don't know how to post my pictures....

Old 06-21-2017, 09:04 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by boothead
I will admit, I am green here, and i am also probably the only teenager that doesn't have a smartphone, so i honestly don't know how to post my pictures....
Well, perhaps you can evolve into the 21st century, and a camera doesn't have to be part of a smart phone (but it can be).

Old 06-21-2017, 09:15 AM
boothead
New User
I have pictures of it, but I dont know how to get them on to this thread.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:14 AM
boothead
New User
oh duh... ctubutis-- I am sorry did you mean have pictures for me to remember? I misread that... I thought you meant post pictures on this thread.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 AM
boothead
New User
The truck has 10w-40 oil in it... should have mentioned that

Quick Reply: 1985 F-150 with the 300 inline 6-- oil in air filter and air filter pan!!