6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7L vs ScanGauge Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:50 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
6.7L vs ScanGauge Issues?

Greetings all,
It has been quite some time since I've been on here, been busy with retirement (I know an oxymoron), and traveling, pulling our 5th wheel with our 2015 F350 Crewcab Dually 14000 GVW. It has about 53000 miles on it now, 2 years old.

I had an issue surface a few weeks ago. Was running unloaded, early morning up a small 5% grade near my home (1762 ft elevation). Was about 2/3 of the way up, the truck was running strong at 60 mph when I got a "low oil pressure warning", followed by the dreaded "wrench". Fearing low or no oil pressure, I kicked it in neutral, shut it off, and coasted to a stop. Put it in park, set the park brake and 4 way flashers. I attempted to start the truck, turned the key and got nothing, no crank. Got the same two warnings with KOEO, and a new one "Start System malfunction". I called local tow and had to hauled to dealership where I bought it, the truck is still covered by Ford Protect extended warranty.

The dealer was able to get the truck started. I'm going to type in the comments on the RO: "Diagnosis, Low oil pressure light, warning lights on, wrench etc, towed in no start." "Multiple U codes, cleared all codes only 3 return, trace and found loose ground connection above parking brake assy repaired and test all codes cleared, road test no symptom returns." He had told me on the phone early on that there was a "total network communication failure", and that they would have to pull each module out and bench test them to determine cause.

2 days later the dealer called and said my truck was ready to pickup. They had called Ford and they suggested the ground above the parking brake assembly was at issue here and to try that first before bench testing modules.

When I spoke with the service advisor he suggested my scangage was maybe the problem. I didn't see the correlation as it's a gage/code reader connected to the OBDII port. I plugged the scangage back in to the OBDII port prior to leaving the dealer.

Some background on this scangage. I had it in my 2007 6.0L truck, I had programmed it with the codes for pulling data for the 6.0 platform, I think I used all 24 available spaces. When I sold that truck, I moved the scangage to the new truck and programmed the available codes for the 6.7L platform, there weren't 24 available codes so I only updated the ones I'd be using and did not delete or clear the unused codes that had been used for the 6.0L platform.

About a week went by after picking up the truck from the dealer, I had been out in the local area, the truck was fully warmed up from at least an hour of driving at freeway speeds, I got home, put it in park and ran in the house to get keys I needed to stow some items I brought home in my shop. I came back out to my truck and it was flashing the low oil pressure light and wrench again. I shut it off, waited a few minutes they tried and it restarted and got no warnings. I went in my shop and grabbed my Innova code reader. The code that set was a "P2610 Internal Engine Off Timer Performance." I called the dealer and took it back the following day.

It has been there for nearly two weeks (12 days today). I had called last week and was told they were stumped as they could not get the truck to duplicate my concern of low oil pressure/wrench lights and that the P2610 was for the engine shutoff timer. They had contacted Ford and relayed their concerns and were waiting an answer. I called again yesterday and spoke with my service advisor again. Their belief is the scangage is the cause of the warning lights issue as they've had it unplugged since it got there. The truck is still throwing multiple U codes (undefined to me), however they cannot get it to duplicate the warning lights after some 80 plus miles of road testing. They have not as of yet removed and bench tested the modules. I had a trip planned to Tucson (about 750 miles one way) next week and need the truck to tow our car hauler, so I'm picking it up tomorrow. (I'll be taking my code reader with me when I go on the trip)

I'd like to continue using the scangage since I can monitor all 4 Exhaust Gas Temperature probes, as well as engine oil temp, trans temp, etc.

So I have some questions for the group.

1. Has anyone had a similar issue surface with regard to warning lights/wrench and a simple ground wire fixing it?

2. Is anyone using their scangage with the 6.7L?

3. Did you delete/clear unused code sets for the scangage, say from a previous application?

4. U codes are potential hard code warnings? Are these going to give me issues?

5. Should I force the issue and make the dealer pinpoint the network communication issue?

6. Am I missing something or not asking the right questions?

Need some help.

Thanks

-Mark

Last edited by cay5628; 05-10-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: for content. and again
Old 05-10-2017, 05:58 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I am using my ScanGauge ll from my 6.0 on my 6.7 with no problems at all. I did however, prior to using it, send it back to Linear Logic and had it recalibrated for the 6.7. They did this for no charge. Contact them and see if they will still do it and if they recommend it. They were great to work with. Also I would explain to them your problems and get their opinion. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:05 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Thanks Mike. I'll give that a try.

-Mark

Old 05-10-2017, 06:31 PM
1911fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also run the scan gage in mine from my 06 6.0 and havnt had any issues but ive only had my 2012 for 3 weeks and several of those days have been at the dealer for a new egr cooler. I did have a similar problem with my 2011 gmc sierra and it was a loose ground at the fuse block. It was a gas motor so it was as complicated of a system but i would get random traction control warnings and stabyiltrack codes and lights.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:33 PM
1911fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not deleted the old codes just over written some

Old 05-11-2017, 06:28 AM
Gearitis
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On my 11 I am using the Scangauge from my 08. I had no issues for a couple of years, but did send it in for update and they sent me a complete new device at no cost. There was no explanation, but I must assume it was an older version and could not update the firmware to the latest. Anyway, no problems to date and really like the monitoring that it performs.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:07 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
I experienced a problem that seems very similar. I had purchased an OBDII port reader from Amazon and was playing around with both of the cell phone APS that are commonly noted on this forum. While on vacation, my truck experienced computer issues and set all kinds of crazy codes. Stopped at a dealer, picked up a loaner car and they had a look. Turns out that my OBDII port scanner was the issue. This was not a cheap Ebay/Amazon reader but it also was not the $90 reader either. Never plugged the OBDII port scanner in again and a year later, the problem never happened again. The dealer tested the entire computer system and replaced no parts and did no updates.

bruce....

Old 05-11-2017, 02:00 PM
cay5628
Elder User
I'm going to call Linear Logic when I get the truck back and have my Scangauge back in my possession. That way I can tell them firmware etc. in all likelihood, I'll follow the reccomendation to send it to them for an update, erase the 6.0L specific codes still residing and install the 6.7L codes. Thanks all.

I'll advise of any issues that may or may not arise on this trip from Cali to Tucson.

-Mark

Old 05-14-2017, 09:40 AM
Icthus in AK
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had a ScanGauge II preconfigured by Sinister Diesel plugged in my 2013 for over 2 years following the replacement of the entire catalyst assemble at 30k miles with zero problems. Just a data point for your survey...

Old 06-08-2017, 03:35 PM
cay5628
Elder User
In my continuing saga of the phantom electrical issues I submit the following:

Got the truck back from the dealer. They could not get it to duplicate my concern, flashing low oil pressure, wrench and starting system malfunction. It did however set 13 "U Codes". They are:
V0102
V0137
V0140
V0151
V0155
V0212
V0100
V0422
V0401
B0090
V0121
V0100
V0101
These codes were detecting using the diagnostics equipment that Ford uses. I have no idea what brand/model etc. Either way, those codes were cleared by the dealer and documented on the DTC worksheet the dealer uses. They still believed the Scangauge was causative, so I disconnected it and removed from the vehicle.

I left a few days later for Tucson with a friends gooseneck car hauler for a quick turnaround trip. The trucks performed fine, at no time did it duplicate my chief complaint/concern. We put about 1500 miles on with the trailer connected the whole time.

A few days after that I was going back to Tucson with my own car hauler. I was hitched up and idling in the driveway, loading some last minute items. The truck was at operating temperature, idling. I got in, went to put it in gear, it flashed the low oil pressure, wrench and starting system malfunction lights. I shut off the truck, tried to restart and it did, no flashing warnings. We departed for Tucson, arrived the next day unloaded and dropped the trailer and stayed in the area for 5 days. I then hooked up the trailer again, loaded a 2016 Explorer in it and started for home. We made it home with no issues. It did set the "Check Coolant Additive" light, which it has done before. While we were in Tucson the dealer's customer relations person called in response to a survey I responded to regarding the first time this occurred. Between when I had the original issue and my actual response to the survey, the truck has duplicated the problem and I stated so in the survey. Please note as well, this is the 9th vehicle we have leased or purchased from this dealer, I have a good relationship with them, however there has been a lot of turnover of personnel in the past year.

The truck sat for two days, I used it to take our waste wheelers down to the end of our driveway for pickup, about 1000 feet. The truck had run about 5 minutes, as I was going back up my driveway to the house, it flashed "low oil pressure, the Wrench, and a new one Coolant Overtemp". I got it back up to the house, shut it off and tried to restart it, it would not crank and was flashing the same warnings. I waited 10 minutes and tried to start again, it started with no warnings flashing except the check coolant additive. I checked it with my MATCO 9000A code reader, there were no DTC's set or pending. I got cell phone video of this time so I can prove I'm not crazy. This was on a Sunday, I called the dealer the next day.

I was told that I could bring it back, but unless it duplicated my concern in their presence, there was nothing they could do.

I'm pretty frustrated at this point as we have plans to travel with our 5th wheel in tow, I don't want to end up on the side of the road with this issue, in some remote location and hope it will restart, I don't feel confident in this truck right now.

I'm at a loss, can I ask a moderator to forward this to Crystal?

-Mark

Old 06-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Sorry for your troubles Mark.
Crystal is history, and I haven't seen much ford service presence as of late.
Hope you can get some help

Old 06-10-2017, 04:45 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I had a similar incident several months ago right after leaving home at 2a for work. Since I had previously experienced minor annoyances due to intermittent connection issues with a couple of pins in the giant electrical harness plug over my parking brake assembly, I started my troubleshooting by disconnecting and reconnecting that plug. The truck then restarted without issue. I cleared a dozen or so codes that popped up, and went on my way. I have had no issue since.

While experiencing that particular incident, I was also not getting any communication from the OBDII port. Once I reset the plug, everything was fine.

The only other suggestion I have would be related to the harness and plugs at the PCM on the right firewall.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:21 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Doug,
Thanks for that update. I'll speak with the dealer service advisor and take a closer look at it. They had hung their hat on a ground connection above the park brake pedal assembly, that did bring some relief but only temporary. I do recall the OBDII port being dead when it occurred as well, the scan gauge was blank/off, my assumption was because of the larger electrical issues occurring.

Appreciate the insight.

-Mark

Old 06-12-2017, 05:56 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Mark, I would guess that when they were moving things around to access the ground by the parking brake assembly, they jarred the giant plug just enough to make it appear that the repair was originally successful.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:56 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Doug,
Yep, could be, go figure. So tonight I'm accelerating to get on the highway, hear a pop and rush of air. Pretty much figured it was a turbo boot.
I get it pulled over, shut off, and sure enough the cold side boot that comes up from the elbow joint below the cooler. The clamp is the damndest thing I've ver seen. The pipe is plastic and the clamp is two pieces, a steel insert in the plastic pipe, and a push on outer ring that apparently gets installed by machine during manufacturing, cuz there was no way I was going to get it back on myself.

I did get the boot back on the plastic pipe and made it home. It wasn't building much boost, per the gauge, but I made it home. I'll be back at the dealer tomorrow, asking for a real clamp to be installed.

I recall hearing these plastic pipes and boots along with them have been problematic. I'm betting the aftermarket has already figured out a fix. I'm going to check a few places online tonight, XDP, PDP, BD Power, etc.

-Mark

Quick Reply: 6.7L vs ScanGauge Issues?