Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

97 Mountaineer fuel filter - replace

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 07:23 PM
ATControlr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anybody help me with a procedure for replacing the fuel filter. How do I go about depressurizing the fuel system?

Old 09-03-2003, 07:02 AM
drcoffee
Senior User

Most of the time there is a pressure tester/release valve on the fuel rail close to the injectors. It looks like the valve stem on a tire but all metal. Just trace backward from the injectors. There will be pressure but not alot of volume. Place a rag over the valve then push in the needle. I always wait until the car has been sitting for a period of 2-3 hours, then push the valve just to be sure. The pressure will bleed off on its own over time. The filter is easy to access. put a container under it though as the gas will flow out once you disconnect it. PS, no smoking or other fire source when you do this job.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:15 AM
Opera House Works
Elder User

to release the fuel lines, either plastic or metal. You need to push the line in as you push in the tool. Then the line should pull out. I don't think it is that tricky. Frankly, there are people who just can not remove a fuel filter, it must be genetic. Liquids are not compressable and I've never bleed the system first. A rag will catch what little squirt there is. The filter does contain a fair amount of fluid. I cap the open end of the filter with a finger as it is removed. Then I blow out the contents into a glass to see what has been picked up over those miles.

Old 09-03-2003, 12:07 PM
ATControlr
New User

Opera House Works - I have heard about the fact that I need a tool. What is it called and where can I get one?