2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F450 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:29 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jth7186
Anyone have any thoughts on running 265/70 up front (245's in rear)? Could I steer lock to lock without rubbing in a stock/no lift configuration?
Don't run different diameter tires with 4x4.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:35 PM
jth7186
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnpsz
2 very different height tire combinations, plus you'd need aftermarket wider rims to run the 265's, very bad idea overall. But if you were asking if 265's clear without a lift, yes they do, we have 2 members on here running them.
Yeah, I just checked specs and 265 is a problem on stock wheels because of width anyway, didn't even think about diameter with 4x4. I am willing to try 245's on stock wheels, so I'll just have to let that make do. Toyo m608's ...

This is not a daily driver but I don't really want to lift it and put rickson wheel/tire combos on it. It's just a plain ole tow rig.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:41 PM
Stalwart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I just checked specs and 265 is a problem on stock wheels because of width anyway, didn't even think about diameter with 4x4. I am willing to try 245's on stock wheels, so I'll just have to let that make do. Toyo m608's ...

This is not a daily driver but I don't really want to lift it and put rickson wheel/tire combos on it. It's just a plain ole tow rig.
You may want to consider the M920's they may be a bit quieter than the 608's and better all season. I'd still choose the 608's but I don't mind a little tire noise. Worst at about 35-40 in 6th, not enough engine noise at 1100 rpm.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:44 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't overinflate the OEM tires, they are fine tires for your use.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great thread. I am thinking of having the dealer swap out the stock tires for a set of Toyo M920's before I take delivery. I've read good things about these tires in the snow.
Would a dealer be able to accommodate this kind of request? I don't want some kid at a tire shop scuffing up a brand new set of rims.
Might as well go for the 245's if they fit. I doubt they are more than an inch bigger in height.
Keeping the stock tires for summer would be ideal but a second set of rims is not going to happen.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:44 PM
klbrown
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stalwart
For stock wheels I'd go with the 245's like Bronc71 did. I had my Rickson wheels from my 2008, so I went with the 285's and more aggressive M608Z tires. Brutus looks pretty bada$$ in person, pictures don't cut it.
Dang! I saw you a couple of days ago, heading north on Ave D just past 13th.

I thought, hey that guy has steel wheels just like the guy on the forum. I guess
you are both guys.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:41 PM
2BSDowner
Junior User
Ricohman,
My dealer did exactly that ...245 Toyo M920's in place of
the HSR's. My Toyos haven't seen any snow yet but I like them so far. They look WAY better than the stock tires.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:37 AM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 2BSDowner
Ricohman,
My dealer did exactly that ...245 Toyo M920's in place of
the HSR's. My Toyos haven't seen any snow yet but I like them so far. They look WAY better than the stock tires.
I have ran them in the snow and there great!
Only complaint I have with them I there ability to retain rocks and eject them when you get up to speed or hold them in the lug pattern and that's all you can hear tic tic tic!!!
We have a lot of dirt roads around here and the rocks on those roads are just the right size I used to sit there with a screw driver and pry them out now I'm used to it always have at least 2 or 3 rocks stuck in every tire.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:48 AM
skipcox
Mountain Pass

How are you guys dealing with the speedo error with the Toyo 245's?
Thanks,
Skip

Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
I think I will contact the dealer and inquire. I could source these myself but perhaps the dealer can get a better price and pass it on to me.
That is good to hear about how they work in the snow. With such a small increase in height the effect on the speedo should be minimal.
I am so used to the tic tic tic of rocks I would think something is wrong if I don't hear that noise.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Overslope
Junior User
Sorry for posting in an old thread, but there's better info here than I've found in a couple hours of googling. Planning to upgrade soon and debating 450 vs 350.

So, is there just no way to get something bigger than a 245 on the stock rim? Does that magic 19.5 tire that's 35" tall not exist?

Old 10-02-2017, 10:09 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Overslope
Sorry for posting in an old thread, but there's better info here than I've found in a couple hours of googling. Planning to upgrade soon and debating 450 vs 350.

So, is there just no way to get something bigger than a 245 on the stock rim? Does that magic 19.5 tire that's 35" tall not exist?
if you can find the tire shop, you could put 265s on stock wheels, even though they aren’t designed for it. They probably won’t wear very well and may have problems with heavy loads. Someone here discussed it a while back and said they mounted them up just fine.

The “magic” 35” tire comes with new rims, which run over 6k for 6 tires and wheels. (I absolutely love mine and wouldn’t go back to the puny 32s)

and if you’re wondering about 350 vs 450, just pull the trigger on the 450 - you won’t regret it. I’m still giddy about driving mine every day, and I’ve had superduty trucks as my daily driver for 14 years.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Overslope
Junior User
Man, that's a shame. I just discovered upgrading from a 350 to a 450 in the build I want is only about $3k. But 32s just don't do it for me. $6k for wheels and tires is more than I can feel good about. And the stock 450 wheels look so good.

So, a 265 would be about a 34? That might work, but damn, that seems pretty limited. Argh, thought I had it all figured out!

Is the issue that no one makes those sizes, or that they won't mount to the stock wheels? Too wide?

Thanks for the info, I never would have guessed the selection is so small.

Edit: just noticed that's your truck in the pics above. Holy crap, that's exactly what I'd like to have! So nice, man. Now the 350 would feel like a compromise, lol.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:57 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Overslope
Man, that's a shame. I just discovered upgrading from a 350 to a 450 in the build I want is only about $3k. But 32s just don't do it for me. $6k for wheels and tires is more than I can feel good about. And the stock 450 wheels look so good.

So, a 265 would be about a 34? That might work, but damn, that seems pretty limited. Argh, thought I had it all figured out!

Is the issue that no one makes those sizes, or that they won't mount to the stock wheels? Too wide?

Thanks for the info, I never would have guessed the selection is so small.

Edit: just noticed that's your truck in the pics above. Holy crap, that's exactly what I'd like to have! So nice, man. Now the 350 would feel like a compromise, lol.
Thanks!

There are plenty of pics of the 450 with 245s on stock Alcoas. They’re 33.3” diameter and look great compared to the 32s. There are plenty of tread optoins, they have a huge weight rating, and will last forever compared to LT tires. The 265s need a 7" - 7.5" wheel - the 6" stock is just a bit too skinny. There are a few 8x19.5, but they are about the same diameter as the 245s and skinnier, so not sure why one would choose them.

If you’re thinking about a 350 dually, your stock wheel options are similarly limited. Plus, you lose an entire truck witdth in turning diameter. Now, the 350 is a great truck, I’m not knocking it. If you’re in the market for a dually though, give them both a close look. I’m glad I did the 450, and can’t see myself with a smaller truck. I drive it daily to work and never hesitate in crowded parking lots because of the great turning diameter, great mirrors, and the 360 degree camera system.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:01 AM
TheLex
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my 2 cents on the matter. After reading this forum, I was frankly very worried about the stock F450 tires. I've read so many posts about how bad they are unless they're aired down, and even then they're barely tolerable.

I just retired. I've never even owned a pickup truck before. The biggest vehicle I've ever had was a 1st generation Chevy Tahoe.

But I want to travel with a fifth wheel. My wife didn't care what I got so long as it was safe and had all the latest safety tech. So my twisted logic led me to the F450.

I picked her up in Vegas and drove 600 mi back home as a newbie pickup driver. The only time I noticed the tracking issue was right at the beginning of the trip when I ran over some very broken pavement in a construction zone. Other than that the truck ran straight and true. I was able to easily keep the back end between the lines - something I had a great deal of trepidation over.

As for the ride? I'm used to riding around in a Porsche 911. To me this thing rides like a dream. Other than the chassis flex I feel (since the thing is freaking 22 ft long), the thing rides like a Cadillac. I have no idea what people are talking about regarding a rough ride.

And yes, the tighter turning radius of the F450 is worth it in spades. I'm able to maneuver around the crowded suburban malls where I live in essentially a monster truck! I can make U-turns with no problem. I've yet to make one 3 point turn.

So my advice? Get the F450! Just run the stock tires unless you really have a compelling reason not to. Save the money for other mods.

Quick Reply: F450 Tires