6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Driver side rear brake smoking

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
When you get to a side to side differential of 80°F you're getting close to a pull due to friction material thermal COF. I carry one of these with me for various reasons, but its easy to check for an impending issue. When towing, I can check all the opposing surfaces, truck and trailer, and check the trailer tires for how they are running as well.

I got a few transit fleets to put a mechanic out at the fueling depot when the busses come home to find issues before they become the smoking gun.

Now that's a good tip.
​​​​​​​You know....I'm almost OCD enough to get one of those for checking the boat trailer and the camper. Also to check the truck as well.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:06 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,420 Posts
You can find decent ones cheaply and I found a trailer tire slow leak during a trip that didn't show as a soft sidewall. It gave me time to find a repair facility on my choosing rather then by a ES on the shoulder of a highway. I've seen enough of boating weekend warriors with issues on the shoulder of the Garden State Parkway. Highly recommended if you tow.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:12 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
FYI on the infrared temp sensor. One rides in my door of the truck so it's always with me. I picked it up at Harbor Frieght at a reasonable price. Can't imagine what a Fluke one would cost.
It's great for checking tires (high temp from scrubbing could indicate bent trailer axle), brakes (stuck caliper, inoperable magnets on a trailer brake), hub bearings (especially boat trailers if had water intrusion), cold exhaust manifold ports when checking for dead cylinders, ect.
It can really save your fingertips.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:20 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

The several Fluke units I bought at work were in the $400-500 range back in the early 00's, but they were nothing compared to the plants that used thermal imagers for the presses. Those were in the thousands.

For my own use more then a dozen years ago I bought a Raytek ST20, which is way more then someone needs for around the house DIY or automotive. I paid over $200 for it and would never spend that today for a gun. Today you can find them all over for $15 & up. Even the well respected Flukes at the low end are around $50.

I just used this earlier today.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
I might as well pick one up next trip to harbor freight. I'm sure they aren't too pricey. $5 says my wife will ask what I need that for. She hates the "just in case" excuse but then again I hate that question so we're all good.

​​​​​​​My parts came in today so I should have my work cut out for me this weekend.

And a few extra parts

Someone suggested I should replace the wheel seal. Why would I need to replace a wheel seal along with this job?

​​​​​​​Again, I'm replacing all 4 rotors, calipers, just the hose, and of course pads. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
It was me. POST #7. I said if you're doing backing plates you may as well also do seals.
Are you not doing rear backing plates? To change the rear backing plate for the parking brake you need to remove the hub. Backing plates rust out very easily. I've been using Dorman replacements.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Ahhh, I understand now. It's been a while since I've done a complete brake job. Appreciate it Crewdually.

​​​​​​I'm not 100% sure about the backing plates atm. I'll check on the availability at the parts store.

​​​​​

​​​​

Old 04-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Definitely opened a can of worms this weekend.

​​​​​​​Again Crewdually. Thanks for the tips and info.

Driver side rear parking brake hardware.

Caliper driver side rear

New wheel seal, backing plate, packed bearings, and cleaned everything well.

​​​​​​​

Old 04-03-2017, 01:48 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Looking a lot better going back together. Oh did I mention now would be a great time to pull the rear cover for an inspection and oil change. 75w140 full synthetic and a tube of Ultra grey sealant is all you need.

Or save it for another day!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmmm. You want to do the other side of my Ex? I think mine was a trailer boat owner, everything,I mean everything​ was trashed but it didn't look it untill you opened it up. You don't want to know how I got the rotor off.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:04 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

The caliper piston failure is from not pushing the Pistons back in far enough and getting caught on the nubs of the pad steelback.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Crewdually, that devilish emoji fits you comment. I'll save that for another weekend. I've must have worked some muscles that haven't been used in a while.

Good luck Performance I hope you and your son get that truck workes out. My backing plates were toast.

You're probably right Toomanytoys.

My previous post was just the driverside rear. It was the cause of this project which lead to something that revealed, in my opinion, a bigger problem.

​​​​​​​

Old 04-03-2017, 08:59 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
The parking brake pad was actually grinding the stud heads. Right down the center. This pain in the **** may have been a blessing.

​​​​​​​I did 1 rear and both fronts in one day.

And for those of you that are having trouble keeping your cool when screwing with the parking brake cable. This the medication you need.

And finally

​​​​

​​​​​​Most of those tools were used for failed attempts at the parking break cable.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

To be honest, you should have been replacing the shoes on the other side.

I've got a whole Powerpoint presentation done for my past life about the issues of using a DIH parking brake on vehicles of this weight class. They are very overwhelmed in this weight application and we did a ton of work trying to get the DIH shoe lining business. And it's a very hard application to make a lining work.

The shoe surface has to have the right profile, the friction material has to have the right compliancy, and the opposing drum surface has to be right. And aftermarket rotors, including the Motorcraft, are not right. The new towing standards are going to get it in the right direction, but there is a good reason why ambulances got a tail shaft parking brake.

Since almost no one uses the parking brake anymore, the best way to check that you're about to have a problem is take a look under the truck in front of the axle. When you see that big rust hole in the backing plate, its time for new.

Edit, Good you caught the stud issue.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:26 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
One thing I see quite a bit with this style of parking brake shoes, really all brake shoes, if they have any age to them the bond let's go from heat, age, rust, ect. and then the friction material falls to the bottom and gets eaten up. I just did a tri-axle trailer that this happened to every single shoe. When I pulled the drums the remnants fell out and it still had .125" of friction material when it fell off.
No one does good ol' fashion rivets anymore until you get into the big trucks.

Quick Reply: Driver side rear brake smoking