2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

RAM vs. CHEVY vs. FORD

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 03:28 PM
JasonB1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
I get that there are some that don't get the competition aspect of this whole thing and don't care how fast a truck makes it up the hill, but most of us have a competitive side and, for whatever reason, Ford seems to be the brand that is always knocked on.
I paid $75k to have the best truck, these results show that the Ford is not the best performing truck, which takes the wind out of the sails of a guy like me.
saying things like "I don't care if I'm the last one up the hill" is something guys say when they came in last.
This truck should have dominated this competition, the drivetrain was built for this, but that truck fell on it's face for some reason. That's not a good sign.
​​​​Can't wait to get heckled now that this video is out.
I understand your point here, but I don't necessarily agree that these tests show that the Ford isn't the best performing truck. There's just more to a truck than what these tests show.

Now, if we're talking about a vehicle who's main mission is to go fast and stop quick, then yes, I'd be upset. That $12K brake option on my car better shut me down so I don't slide off the track and embarrass myself. And I don't want to hear about supercharger heatsoak.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:35 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 443 Likes on 140 Posts
You can't determine the best truck with one 10 minute run. I would say that if Ford came in 1st also. There's so much more to it than that one run up the mountain. It tells a lot, yes, but not even close to which is the best truck. Several of their comments about the Ford having the least bouncy ride and being the most composed didn't seem to weigh in their subjective results either.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Generally, Mr. Truck does some fairly decent testing and videos, but something was amiss with this truck especially when you extrapolate the data they recently provided with a 2017 F-450. The F-450 was 30.43% heavier, but only 8.4% slower up the hill. While not everything is linear in a comparison like this, something is definitely off. Would have been nice if they had taken the time to do a second test, because at some point, you are going to catch a truck in the middle of a regen running up the pass. A second run would have confirmed the truck was indeed slow or was down on performance due to something like a regen. Alas, these guys are not test engineers, but a little more rigor in the tests would be nice.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,656 Posts
And just comparing apples to apples, I thought my 2015 pulled considerably better than my 2016 does......both KR F350 DRW, 3.73 gears. Too bad it had its electronic glitches that no one could seem to find. I am still using the same trailers, loaded about the same all the time. And I find absoluterly nothing wrong with the way the '16 pulls!!

Old 03-03-2017, 04:49 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Also remember that paper numbers mean zero in the real world.
My new semi trucks are on paper rated to be bigger power by far than my old trucks.
Yet the old trucks are far more powerful on the road.
Both in a peterbilt truck pulling identical trailers with equal loads of Jet A1 on them.
Someone explain to me why day after day the old 435hp and 1600 lbs torque engine outpulls every single new truck rated at 600 hp and 2050 lbs torque.
They have checked every truck numerous times and swear they are running perfectly.

Because numbers on paper are worthless.
Pull the same trailer on the same roads day after day for years tells the true story.
If the fake numbers cummins uses were real and they were 600hp and 2050 lbs feet of torque.
Those old cats really must make 1000 hp and 3500 lbs feet of torque.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:15 PM
diesel toes
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing not talked about is fuel quality. Where did they fuel up? Did they use the same fuel station and same pump?

Old 03-03-2017, 11:14 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I drove in to a local Chevrolet dealer and pulled up to the sales office right next to a red 2017 HD 3500. There wasn't anyone around so I walked in and grabbed the first guy I saw. I pointed to my truck and told him I was curious to see the 2017 Chev outside and that I had no intention of buying but just wanted to see it. I didn't want to waste his time so I offered if they wanted they could check out the Ford. The sales guy was all over it and waved over several other guys. It wasn't a big deal to one of the guys because he had already seen 2017 Fords.

As they walked around my truck they were polite and complimentary. There were some general comments about nice truck, great color, "love the big lift kit and tires". I told them it was only a level and they seemed surprised. The Ford is several inches taller than the Chev but the Chev wasn't modified at all. They looked over the interior and I showed two of them the 360 degree and backup cameras and they were cooly impressed. They didn't ask to drive it which was a good thing.

My take on the HD 3500 is pretty much what I've read here. I just can't get over how dated the interior feels. It's just exactly like I've always known GM products to be. The truck I sat in had an MSRP of $67K and I didn't catch which package it was. One guy said it was a "loaded" truck. The exterior of the truck is so tired and that front bumper and flat fenders have always bugged me. If it didn't have that huge scoop on the hood it would have looked like a 2 wheel drive. All my observations were purely aesthetic because I didn't start or drive it. It is just so, Meh.

Before I left I asked them if they had seen the TFL video today and no one had. So I gave them the good news and two guys high-fived instantly. Their mood went from nan-challant to pretty happy. I guarantee I know the very first thing they did when they went back into the showroom.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:57 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
At 19:43, you can see that ~3000 RPMs is just over 50 MPH. That is what I would expect in 3rd gear with a 3.55 rear. I think they would have had a much better climb time with the 4.10.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:03 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 386 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I drove in to a local Chevrolet dealer and pulled up to the sales office right next to a red 2017 HD 3500. There wasn't anyone around so I walked in and grabbed the first guy I saw. I pointed to my truck and told him I was curious to see the 2017 Chev outside and that I had no intention of buying but just wanted to see it. I didn't want to waste his time so I offered if they wanted they could check out the Ford. The sales guy was all over it and waved over several other guys. It wasn't a big deal to one of the guys because he had already seen 2017 Fords.

As they walked around my truck they were polite and complimentary. There were some general comments about nice truck, great color, "love the big lift kit and tires". I told them it was only a level and they seemed surprised. The Ford is several inches taller than the Chev but the Chev wasn't modified at all. They looked over the interior and I showed two of them the 360 degree and backup cameras and they were cooly impressed. They didn't ask to drive it which was a good thing.

My take on the HD 3500 is pretty much what I've read here. I just can't get over how dated the interior feels. It's just exactly like I've always known GM products to be. The truck I sat in had an MSRP of $67K and I didn't catch which package it was. One guy said it was a "loaded" truck. The exterior of the truck is so tired and that front bumper and flat fenders have always bugged me. If it didn't have that huge scoop on the hood it would have looked like a 2 wheel drive. All my observations were purely aesthetic because I didn't start or drive it. It is just so, Meh.

Before I left I asked them if they had seen the TFL video today and no one had. So I gave them the good news and two guys high-fived instantly. Their mood went from nan-challant to pretty happy. I guarantee I know the very first thing they did when they went back into the showroom.
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. For the most part, GM powertrains have usually been top notch, and I don't believe the new DMax/Allison is any exception. But the truck though. I just cannot get over the truck. The interior is awkward to say the least (dated too), and the low hanging frame, underhood DEF, and IFS are things I just cannot overlook. From what I've read, I will say that GM warranty support is generally superior to FoMoCo (e.g., CP4).

Old 03-04-2017, 01:05 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 2009kr
At 19:43, you can see that ~3000 RPMs is just over 50 MPH. That is what I would expect in 3rd gear with a 3.55 rear. I think they would have had a much better climb time with the 4.10.
I'm pretty sure the F-350 had 4.10 gears, like the Ram. Chevy had their only offering of 3.73.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:35 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The whole thing is a kick in the butt for bragging rights. Does not bother me: I have a great truck with all the performance I need....still though the extra HP rating of the Duramax showed up here. Torque is important but remember it is a component of horsepower which will always dominate if the gearing is commensurate.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:07 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasalas
The whole thing is a kick in the butt for bragging rights. Does not bother me: I have a great truck with all the performance I need....still though the extra HP rating of the Duramax showed up here. Torque is important but remember it is a component of horsepower which will always dominate if the gearing is commensurate.
Ram only had 385hp and 25lbft less torque, how did it also beat Fords time?

Old 03-04-2017, 06:44 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
Ram only had 385hp and 25lbft less torque, how did it also beat Fords time?
Because numbers, like these tests, don't really mean anything. Personally, I've grown really bored with the torque wars and wish MFRs would really concentrate more on quality, longevity, and reliability.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Fmc4lfe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re flash time

Old 03-04-2017, 09:26 AM
lkbrow1
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Computer makes a difference

I traded in my 2011 F350 for a 2017 F350. Both were 6.7 L Diesel. 2011 was 3.73 axle, 2017 is 3.55 But the 2011 would out accelerate the 2017 and a lot of cars too. I have no doubt the 2017 has more power. But acceleration is a different matter.

Quick Reply: RAM vs. CHEVY vs. FORD