2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Factory Power Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:37 AM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Road Salt/Saltwater Beach Sand

Slightly off-topic - but what do you guys think of the way these would hold up to road salt/ Saltwater beach sand? Retractable is really cool...just haven't seen them up close in action and wondering how protected the mechanisms are.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:44 AM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThirdsACharm
Slightly off-topic - but what do you guys think of the way these would hold up to road salt/ Saltwater beach sand? Retractable is really cool...just haven't seen them up close in action and wondering how protected the mechanisms are.
My wife's 2012 navigator had them had to replace both of them do to road salt and ice I tried to get her just to leave them out all winter she would have no part of that
I got them on my 450 but that truck will be staying in a heated garage all winter with very little use.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am currently researching same question. Like you I'm not found of the idea of plugging Amps into the OBD2 port if there is a factory harness option. I do believe you would have to have the Lariat Ultimate package as per order guide. I couldn't get mine since I wanted the chrome package.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:33 PM
dzlbudman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
I just placed the order for the amp steps. Spoke with Amp Representatives and they confirmed the Factory steps cannot be added regardless of trim level (I have a Lariat Ultimate). He was very reassuring these are the exact step with exception of the Deployable arms saying AMP on them. Cannot wait to see what they look like. Will be installed Monday and I will update with pictures.

Plug N Play Steps P/N- 76235-01A
Stainless Trim Kit P/N- 75150-01A

Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 PM
silver_pilate
Tuned
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
I picked up an OBD2 y-splitter for like $7 on Amazon rather than pay the premium for their pass-through. It works like a charm for the steps and gives me the extra plug for my wifi OBD2 transmitter so I can monitor PIDs on my phone.

--Nathan

Old 02-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have amps on my sierra that I just bought like... within 2 weeks ago. Could I exchange them for ones for the f250 so I already have them when I plan to buy???

Like take them off my truck and then swap. Or would that be something they might not allow....

Old 02-01-2017, 08:36 PM
hwheeler
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I'd known about those y splitters on Amazon instead of paying $79 for Amp's pass through. The Amazon ones seem to accomplish the same purpose. But the steps are in and they work great. Very easy install. This is a very nice modification, especially as it really does make getting in and out easier.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:43 PM
dzlbudman
Mountain Pass
Got the AMP'S installed this morning with the Stainless trim and all I can say is WOW!. Even the shop owner wants to change his factory power boards to AMP's. The motors are 5 times quieter and the boards are actually wider. Im sold, the wiring is seamless and nothing excessive. Bravo AMP I'm a customer from here on out!

Old 02-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Jrbonniwell
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dzlbudman
Got the AMP'S installed this morning with the Stainless trim and all I can say is WOW!. Even the shop owner wants to change his factory power boards to AMP's. The motors are 5 times quieter and the boards are actually wider. Im sold, the wiring is seamless and nothing excessive. Bravo AMP I'm a customer from here on out!
Curious about the stainless trim... Have any pics of them on the truck?

Old 02-06-2017, 02:56 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The Factory retractable arms are bigger than the arms you get with the AMP steps.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:30 PM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts
pics??

i called amp to upgrade to the xl boards, they told me it is not possible

Old 02-06-2017, 05:13 PM
dzlbudman
Mountain Pass
These are not the XL Boards. I can email someone some pics. I cannot get them to load.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:29 PM
Snowtower 2
Mountain Pass
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
I will add in a little feedback on the Amp steps. I purchased them new and had them installed when I bought our new 2013 GMC 3500hd cc. I really like the added drop and the amount stick out over any fixed board but they are defiantly not maintenance free.
At least 2-3 times a year we have to pull the motors and readjust each board to make it run smooth or lift up. Once they get mud or snow pack on them they will not lift up. Wet gravel roads will even weight them down enough to stop them from lifting. I currently have 70k miles on the truck and they are showing wear at the bushing locations which makes them hop on the way down and not lift up evenly. The only way to fix that is to have (2) motors on each side or replace the bushing to make them tighter. I have discussed this with Amp and was told that was normal!

I currently have a new 2017 Ford F350 cc on order and I decided to go with the Ford power steps instead of the Amps again. The Ford ones have a cover over the motor and a rod brace to support the action of the step which I liked better.
Time will tell which one is really better...

Old 02-06-2017, 06:38 PM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by dzlbudman
These are not the XL Boards. I can email someone some pics. I cannot get them to load.
i understand that, just stating i tried to upgrade today and it is not possible. in case someone else had the same idea.

i am interested in seeing pics of the stainless trim on the boards

Old 02-07-2017, 01:33 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this considered part of the truck and thus warranty repairable?

If they freeze does it cause damage to the mechanism if they can't deploy?

I have never ran a deplorable running board and apparently getting them. Worried they will get wrecked. Heavy mud, ice, snow, rocks assulting them. Don't care to much if they get rock chips just that they work.

Quick Reply: Factory Power Running Boards