Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Fitment/Lift Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 04:26 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
I just did some research....That CR500AF is a rocket! Holy crap, nice bike!

You quoted the advertised tongue weight above, it's pure fantasy. For a TT/TH you want to target for 15% of the GVW for setting up the WD hitch, that way when you try to get it to a good handling 13% TW you have some excess capacity built in for bigger loads or out of balance cargo.
The listed empty weight of that TH is 6800lbs, 15% of that is 1020lbs and that's EMPTY! No battery, propane or options.
I figured 1450lbs for the RZR, 250lbs for the rocketship 500AF and 400lbs for the kiddo's quads. Add to that 800lbs for a full fresh water tank and you have added 2900lbs before getting into any food, drinks, clothing, gear, camping stuff etc.... Maybe a realistic 11,000lbs or maybe more, WW used to claim way lighter than real weights for their THs, not sure if the later ones carry on with that tradition or not.
At 11k GVW 15% TW would be 1650lbs, the recommended 13% TW would be 1430lbs. All of these numbers (admittedly theoretical with no scaled weights) exceed your EX's factory hitch, Equal-I-zer and spring bars. I would recommend getting your combo weighed on a CAT 3 pad scale at a truck stop, you may be very close to over on those tires.
I have about 13% (1450lbs) TW on my 11k TT, my Hensley Arrow's 1400lb spring bars are cranked all the way up, my front axle is still about 300lbs short of unloaded weight and my factory hitch was flexing from age, abuse and some rust.
Now I haven't seen your rig nor do I know any of the actual weights or if the 3 axles make a big difference in TW along with how you load the garage area and how that affects your TW. In reality you may be much better off than my figuring a guesstimating, a trip to the scales will tell the tale.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:40 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Soooo change the tires to E range then, cuz that's sketchy on D's

Old 01-31-2017, 07:54 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VR6Butt, do you have anymore pictures of your wheels. I'm looking to get Ultra type 164 17x9's and can't seem to find good picture of those wheels on an Ex. I too love the basic hole wheel pattern.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:45 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Soooo change the tires to E range then, cuz that's sketchy on D's
Yeah I'll have to. Have towed on D's before and it was a little squishy, but OK.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
For what it's worth, Discount price matches. I got my current KO2's for nearly $650 cheaper because 4WheelParts had an online sale and Duscount still matched the price.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
VR6Butt, do you have anymore pictures of your wheels. I'm looking to get Ultra type 164 17x9's and can't seem to find good picture of those wheels on an Ex. I too love the basic hole wheel pattern.
Here they are. 16x10 -

Before/After Plati-Dip removal.

Trial fit

Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I just did some research....That CR500AF is a rocket! Holy crap, nice bike!

You quoted the advertised tongue weight above, it's pure fantasy. For a TT/TH you want to target for 15% of the GVW for setting up the WD hitch, that way when you try to get it to a good handling 13% TW you have some excess capacity built in for bigger loads or out of balance cargo.
The listed empty weight of that TH is 6800lbs, 15% of that is 1020lbs and that's EMPTY! No battery, propane or options.
I figured 1450lbs for the RZR, 250lbs for the rocketship 500AF and 400lbs for the kiddo's quads. Add to that 800lbs for a full fresh water tank and you have added 2900lbs before getting into any food, drinks, clothing, gear, camping stuff etc.... Maybe a realistic 11,000lbs or maybe more, WW used to claim way lighter than real weights for their THs, not sure if the later ones carry on with that tradition or not.
At 11k GVW 15% TW would be 1650lbs, the recommended 13% TW would be 1430lbs. All of these numbers (admittedly theoretical with no scaled weights) exceed your EX's factory hitch, Equal-I-zer and spring bars. I would recommend getting your combo weighed on a CAT 3 pad scale at a truck stop, you may be very close to over on those tires.
I have about 13% (1450lbs) TW on my 11k TT, my Hensley Arrow's 1400lb spring bars are cranked all the way up, my front axle is still about 300lbs short of unloaded weight and my factory hitch was flexing from age, abuse and some rust.
Now I haven't seen your rig nor do I know any of the actual weights or if the 3 axles make a big difference in TW along with how you load the garage area and how that affects your TW. In reality you may be much better off than my figuring a guesstimating, a trip to the scales will tell the tale.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've always wanted to go to the truck scales to get exact numbers. The triple axle really does help with the weight. I really try to balance everything and its worked fine with the LR-E 285 Nitto Dura Grapplers. I do want a new receiver as its getting a bit loose. And the Gen-Y hitch sounds promising with regards to tire wear and ride quality.

And the 500 is a lot of fun. You ride?

Old 02-01-2017, 10:09 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by VR6Nutt
Here they are. 16x10 -
What's the U shaped tube at the 10 o'clock tire position?

Not too warm to work outside today?

Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Originally Posted by wpnaes
What's the U shaped tube at the 10 o'clock tire position?

Not too warm to work outside today?
One of the transmission lines coming off the radiator. And yes - can't complain about the weather!

Old 02-02-2017, 05:15 AM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Thanks for those pictures. Those wheels so good, I'm going to have to copy you.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:37 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by VR6Nutt
Thanks for the suggestions. I've always wanted to go to the truck scales to get exact numbers. The triple axle really does help with the weight. I really try to balance everything and its worked fine with the LR-E 285 Nitto Dura Grapplers. I do want a new receiver as its getting a bit loose. And the Gen-Y hitch sounds promising with regards to tire wear and ride quality.

And the 500 is a lot of fun. You ride?

I just worked up the numbers using the basic rules of thumb for TT/TH/enclosed trailers but figured that a TH with 3 axles at that length might be an exception to the rule. That torsion Gen-Y does look interesting as long as it will play well with your adjustable WD hitch head, it wouldn't work with my fancy pants Hensley Arrow.
The CAT scales are super easy to use, I will stop of the way and go inside to tell the operator that I'll be making a couple (or 3) passes over the scales as a private party. Then I'll drive up onto the scale and be sure to land the trailer tires, drive and steer axles on their proper pads and push the call button to let the operator know its me. Then I'll go and drop the TT in the truck lot and make another pass over the scales with just the EX. After you are done you go back inside and pay (typically $9/10 for the first pass and $1/2 for each additional reweigh) then they give you the printouts with your various trailer, drive and steer axle weights. With that info you can figure your TW and make adjustments for any additional reweighs after.
I grew up riding dirt bikes (a hundred years ago...) and now have a Kodiak 400 ATV and a Honda XTX1300.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Originally Posted by gr8scott72
35" Nitto Trail Grapplers with Pro Comp 22210/22415 springs. Slight rub at full stop.

Hey dude, I've been looking at all the different pro comp springs on Amazon. I've seen the part numbers you used. Can you tell me how much lift you got from your set up? Did you use aftermarket pitman arm or track bar? Would you do it the same way if you had it to do over again or just buy a complete kit?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 AM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Just to update: Took the Ex to an alignment shop and the toe was a little off. Caster was barely in spec. Tech adjusted the toe, straightened the steering wheel out and informed me that the reason it pulls to the right is due to tread beginning to separate. So I ended up replacing the BFG KOs to new KO2s Load Range E. Had to clearance the inner fender wells more to make room. Ex drives OK - straighter than before - but still wants to pull to the right. Would my lack of replacing the stock trackbar create the pull situation?

I was able to get my heavy tow tune revised from GH! Did my first tow over President's Day weekend. It pulled well, aside from some sway. But I believe that's due to the way the Ex sits now. The leveling kit works well while empty - but not so well when the weight of the trailer is on the rear. Was wondering about air pressure - I upped the rears to 55, front 45. Should I add bags to bring the rear up when towing? Was debating on modifying the springs, but don't want to affect ride quality. Also for anyone wondering - the Gen-Y hitch works really well! Very noticeable difference in ride quality. Gone are the jerking motions when traversing dips or uneven pavement. Time will tell in the tire wear category. And yes, I use a hitch clamp to keep the clunking down of my pretty worn factory receiver...until I can replace it.

Pix:

Gen-Y hitch coupled with Equalizer Weight Distribution/Anti-Sway

Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 AM
StreamOn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you guys able to fit a 35 inch spare in the stock location?

Old 02-27-2017, 02:45 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Not vertically. With a longer bolt and a 15 degree tilt on the tire, she'll fit. Must remove the 3rd row or squash it a lot to fit.

Quick Reply: Tire Fitment/Lift Requirements