S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

December All Topics - everyone's welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:11 AM
w6pea
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpounds
Has always been high north of Bishop. I didn't know about the monopoly guy. I always just figured it was supply and demand.

I assume you know about the Mobil in Lee Vining. You have to turn west on CA120 to enter. I paid around $3.50 for diesel in Oct and Nov. About $1 more than it was going for at home. If I need to fill up north of Bishop, that is where I try to go. A very nice 2 side dump station too. The store and deli was closed for the year when I was there in Nov, but the pumps were still open. And they had the outside restroom open with an electric heater running. I thought that was nice of them. Even though it probably had more to do with state regulations, and keeping the plumbing from freezing up.
On one trip we went to Auburn. On e the way North I fueled at the Chevron Station in Lee Vinning. On the way home I filled up at the Shel Station in Bridgeport. They are both own by a G&N Enterprises or some thing like that. So now I don't care if I have over a half tank I fuel up in Bishop. and in Reno before I come back. There used to be a sign in the station in Lee Vinning at the Chevron Station, The sign said "Last Gas Station in California" we went by there late at night you should have seen the line of cars. If you don't know US395 it kinda bothers you.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Originally Posted by wpnaes
The regular search function in the forums weren't working as of last night either. I was trying to search to identify a sensor of some kind on top of the motor I found that had a broken connector preventing it from seating completely/securely. I was typing in the search box and the, "Sorry, no matches" kept popping up regardless what I put in.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
w6pea,

Sorry to hear about your dealership experience. They should really learn to find a happy medium between swarming you like sharks with blood in the water and/or avoiding you like you've got the plaugue. You have a beautiful truck though.

You should take your truck and the wife's new ride in to that dealership and ask to speak to the man or woman in charge. Then thank them for allowing you to broaden your horizons with their salesperson's incompetence and ignorance.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:48 PM
w6pea
Tuned
Originally Posted by bpounds
Has always been high north of Bishop. I didn't know about the monopoly guy. I always just figured it was supply and demand.

I assume you know about the Mobil in Lee Vining. You have to turn west on CA120 to enter. I paid around $3.50 for diesel in Oct and Nov. About $1 more than it was going for at home. If I need to fill up north of Bishop, that is where I try to go. A very nice 2 side dump station too. The store and deli was closed for the year when I was there in Nov, but the pumps were still open. And they had the outside restroom open with an electric heater running. I thought that was nice of them. Even though it probably had more to do with state regulations, and keeping the plumbing from freezing up.
The same people own the Mobil Station also. Been in there once, we were coming home from Idaho in our RV, and the wife wanted to go thru Yosemite, went in to top the tank off. We had enough to get to Bishop but going thru Yosemite changed our plans. When you paid with a credit card it stopped you at $75 bucks worth. When we got thru Yosemite we got gas. It is a nice station.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:53 PM
w6pea
Tuned
Originally Posted by Yama4fitty
w6pea,

Sorry to hear about your dealership experience. They should really learn to find a happy medium between swarming you like sharks with blood in the water and/or avoiding you like you've got the plaugue. You have a beautiful truck though.

You should take your truck and the wife's new ride in to that dealership and ask to speak to the man or woman in charge. Then thank them for allowing you to broaden your horizons with their salesperson's incompetence and ignorance.
I was going to go and look at a Ford Flex and drive my Ram in there lot but they don't have any on the lot any more. But that is a good idea. I know a guy that does window tinting and he does a lot for them. I will ask him who the General Manager is. It's a Family owned dealership and I called them to ask to speak to the owner, and never got past a Secretary of the sales manager and never got a call back.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Originally Posted by w6pea
I was going to go and look at a Ford Flex and drive my Ram in there lot but they don't have any on the lot any more. But that is a good idea. I know a guy that does window tinting and he does a lot for them. I will ask him who the General Manager is. It's a Family owned dealership and I called them to ask to speak to the owner, and never got past a Secretary of the sales manager and never got a call back.
Sometimes you do have to walk in and ask by name as if you know them. I've found that the lower people on the totem pole will cover up for others as low as them if there are complaints involved. Good luck with your buddy. Maybe he could get you in touch with the right person. Good customer service is what keeps good businesses in business.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:09 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Yama4fitty
Hello Trey,

When were you on Fillmore SAR. I was with them for about 3 years, '03-'06. Still keep in touch with quite a few of them.

Chris
Oh god. Years ago. 2011? I wasn't with them very long because I moved.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:28 PM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Oh god. Years ago. 2011? I wasn't with them very long because I moved.
That's cool. Great bunch of people there when I was on. I had to leave also to pursue other endeavours. Anyway, good to meet you

-Chris

Old 12-17-2016, 12:00 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Think I want to build a house.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:11 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Dang clickbait...

Old 12-17-2016, 06:43 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Aren't bottles used the same way, and with a whole-lot-less work?

There's about 40 minutes I won't ever get back!

Pop

Old 12-17-2016, 07:23 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Dang clickbait...

LOL

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Aren't bottles used the same way, and with a whole-lot-less work?

There's about 40 minutes I won't ever get back!

Pop

Yep, bottle house. That's what I thought too. He covers adding bottles toward the end.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:55 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Random topic.

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2016, 12:36 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Pretty interesting scale. Never thought there'd be hardwoods three times harder then Ash, knowing it's considered hard enough to be for baseball bats. Also surprised how soft teak, walnuts and cherry woods are relative to the top hardwoods.
Thanks for sharing Sean.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:46 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

I always thought Ironwood was a species, but seems it's a generic term.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironwood

Would be fun to try and grow a Ipe here in So Cal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handroanthus

Quick Reply: December All Topics - everyone's welcome!