1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

hx35 on my obs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 11:00 PM
joeruger509
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hx35 on my obs?

Is this possible what all would I need. Only reason I ask is I have a couple an hx35 and a 35/40 hybrid. and my cummins seems to spool better and make way more boost then my Powerstroke. I know it doesn't sit on a pedestal like my Garrett and has oil lines instead other then those what do I need.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:50 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by joeruger509
Is this possible what all would I need. Only reason I ask is I have a couple an hx35 and a 35/40 hybrid. and my cummins seems to spool better and make way more boost then my Powerstroke. I know it doesn't sit on a pedestal like my Garrett and has oil lines instead other then those what do I need.
Your spooling issue is not turbo related. Your issue is the factory injectors are small. No fuel=no boost.

I doubt all the work to put that turbo on would net you anything by its self.

If you did you would need to build a mount,fan a collector,exh up pipes,compressed air plumbing and dp from scratch ..
If you want boost spend 1500$ on stage 1s and a ts chip set up for those stix.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:04 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The HX35 is much too small to put on a 7.3L engine in my opinion. To mount it, you would need to build a T3 turbo mount for it similar to our T4 mounts that we use for larger turbos.. Basically bellowed uppipes with a T3 flange, new pedestal drilled and tapped for NPT fittings for oil lines to be used, and you'll probably want to mount an intercooler for it also.

If it were my truck, I would go the route Aaron is suggesting. More fuel. Tuning and possibly bigger injectors. If you tow heavy, you may want to do a bigger turbo if you do much more than tune it.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:09 AM
joeruger509
Freshman User
Damn. Well that's to bad for that kinda money I got 400+ out of my cummins. I have been looking more and more into it seems there is nothing cheap and honestly nothing that adds that much power per dollar for this truck. Kind of disappointed all the Ford guys always made it seem like these trucks were comparable to my 12v.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:15 AM
joeruger509
Freshman User
I already have a ts chip diamond eye turbo back and 180cc full force stage 1s and bhaf. So I'm already in it about 2k, my Cummins has BHAF and diamond eye turbo back and the power driven diesel 425hp power pack and it walks all over my ford. I just want my Ford to feel fast and aggressive like my Dodge does.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:28 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
It depends on your skill set. Turbos cost the same amount of money no matter what platform you're playing with. Your 12v has 2 benefits to it that no other platform has. That nice CHEAP P7100 injection pump bolted to the front cover and the turbo bolts directly to the exhaust manifold. I have seen them dyno 400hp with stock injector nozzles without much issue and every other platform has some sort of uppipes running from the exhaust manifolds to the turbo. The further the turbo is from the manifold, the slower it will spool.

You'll never get 300hp out of stock OBS 7.3L injectors. You can make 350hp out of the larger stock super duty 7.3L injectors though. You can also make 350-380hp with the stock OBS turbo as well, but if you pull heavy you'll need to pay attention to EGTs just like if you were to run a 12v at the peak of the stock turbo capability.

I do feel like the 7.3L can be compared to a 12v in some ways, but I don't think it can be compared to the 12v in power per dollar because upgrading the 7.3L injectors can be expensive unless you know how to build them yourself like we have done many times before. Stock for stock, I've outrun stock 12v trucks in my OBS when it was stock. I have also out run 12v trucks that had tuned pumps when I had 160cc/stock nozzle injectors in my truck. The biggest thing a 7.3L has going for it is reliability. I'm sure I spent more money doing it even though I built my own injectors. The poor things will take a beating and keep going... That and they came in a Ford truck which in my opinion is the best built truck out there.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:32 AM
joeruger509
Freshman User
Would custom tunes help? From like DP or swamps? I got the injectors first then bought the ts. I definitely noticed a power increase but it seems like it should have been more. I'm currently maxing out at 26psi

Old 10-10-2016, 10:34 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Custom tunes do help. What injectors are you using right now?

Old 10-10-2016, 10:36 AM
joeruger509
Freshman User
Casserly full force stage 1s with 180cc nozzles I got them for about 1300 at diesel power products here in Spokane.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:44 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Custom tunes may help you. I would bet that there's an issue in there somewhere though killing some of your power. Things I would check..

-exhaust leaks at uppipe donut gaskets, exhaust manifolds, or turbo exhaust flange gasket.
- boost leaks at turbo outlet o-ring, any intercooler boots and piping if you have an intercooler, and intake plenums.
- ensure high pressure oil pump is meeting the demand of the tuning. You'll need a scanner for this and you'll want to watch ICP psi and IPR DC %. At wide open throttle you want to see close to 3000psi of ICP without any major drops in pressure and you also want to make sure that IPR DC % doesn't continue to rise the longer you stay in the throttle. Typically if the high pressure oil pump is meeting demand, IPR % will jump up and level off at some point below 50% if the system is meeting demand. If it's not meeting demand you'll usually see IPR DC % continue to rise over 60% and you should see ICP psi spike up and then drop right back down and settle in at a constant pressure.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:52 AM
joeruger509
Freshman User
I've checked the whole exhaust and intake syetems and had the turbo rebuilt. I've replaced the ipr and icp because they guys at DPP said that might help. My truck only has 180,000 my uncle owned it since new it was never modified till I bought it. Could the hpop really be bad already???

Old 10-10-2016, 11:04 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
DPP telling you to replace the IPR and ICP to correct this problem instead of telling you how to diagnose if the high pressure oil system is keeping up tells me that they either don't want to help or they shouldn't be working on 7.3s. Not sure which it is. You should never just throw parts at it.

The HPOP is NOT bad by any stretch of the imagination. The truck is driving fine, so the HPOP is doing it's job. What has happened is you've installed larger injectors in your truck. Those larger injectors require more oil volume to drive them than the stock injectors did. You need to find out if the stock pump is capable of producing the volume that you're needing. If it's not able to keep up, that doesn't mean the part has failed. Only that the stock part couldn't keep up with the modified parts you've installed. The super duty trucks had a larger 17* HPOP that flows more oil volume. If you can find a good one for cheap, it might be able to keep up with the demand if yours isn't.. Then again I've had some that wouldn't keep up also. The stock pump in my SD holds good pressure with my 160cc injectors and 100% nozzles. You can also spring for an aftermarket pump that flows even more oil than the SD pump.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:08 AM
joeruger509
Freshman User
Seemed like they were trying to sell me parts but I wasn't sure. The t500 seems like it should be my next buy then right? And it's not that expensive surprisingly enough

Old 10-10-2016, 11:24 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
If and only if your current pump isn't keeping up with the demand.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:07 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, listen to the guys here, especially Travis; he knows what he's talking about. You don't need to throw away money replacing parts that don't need it. My Rosewood stage 1s will bury my 35 psi gage without throwing a code (I believe it's the 1211 for low oil pressure), stock HPOP and all. I'm not sure how accurate the gage is but it spools quick and is very responsive.

Quick Reply: hx35 on my obs?