1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Sensor Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 03:35 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 977 Likes on 598 Posts
TPMS Sensor Fault

The warning in the title has been appearing for months. Push reset and the display message goes away but the orange light stays on. No rhyme or reason. Sometimes it's gone after a restart for a day or two. Sometimes it stays on no matter how many times the truck is shut down and restarted in a day.
So I finally took it into Ford for service today because the truck is still under warranty. They ask if the tires have been replaced. Obviously they have because I've got BFG KO2s that are a size or two bigger than stock. But I explained that the tires have been on for several months and that the issued did not present itself when the truck came out of the tire shop. It didn't happen until a couple of months later.
So they tell me that their tool can't even detect that any sensors are present and that they'll break down a tire to check and see that a sensor is there.
Two & a half hours later they tell me that they've ordered a body control module and cut me loose with the truck. They'll call when the part is here.
Will post back with results in case someone else is having this problem.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:35 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
2 weeks later the BCM module shows up. Does it really take a Ford dealer that long to get a Ford part? Of course when I called to inquire, "it just came in yesterday."
Fortunately I chose to drop the truck off instead of waiting. They neglected to tell me that they'd need both of my keys to reprogram so I had to make a 26 mile round trip to deliver the spare key. Have they never installed one of these modules before? The appointment was for 9 AM. I got a call at nearly 3:30 saying that the truck is done. This was for a job scheduled to take 2 hours.
I pick it up, all is good. For about 12 miles. Chimes sound, yellow light in cluster flashes, message appears yet again. I'm starting to think they're throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry for your continued problem..

most dealers,,, not all.. the drop off ones are for afternoon...
and waiting customers are for the morning..

and most also do calling after 2 P.M. regardless of time it was really finished.

to address your problem.. could be a bad New module.. a bad connector, a broken wire, communication problem between main computer and replaced module.

worked for many years at a Dealership, Not Ford.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:56 AM
hoss66
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was having a similar problem and it turned out the batteries were getting weak. I replaced the sensors and haven't had a problem since.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by hoss66
I was having a similar problem and it turned out the batteries were getting weak. I replaced the sensors and haven't had a problem since.
As stated earlier, their computer couldn't even find the sensors. They broke down a tire to make sure there was one there. Then it suddenly became the BCM. I think this is a product of the computer age in the automotive industry. Plug it in, change a part and hope for the best.
I didn't get snippy or give them a hard time when I called back upon my return home. I own a business myself and understand that sometimes things go wrong and you have to find another solution. But telling me that the second key was needed at the outset would have saved me a 26 mile round trip to get it to them.
Looks like I'll be taking a day off from my business while this truck sits in the shop for another day of head scratching. Fortunately I'm retired from another career and this doesn't really place a financial strain on me.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Alyupe11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem that had my truck sidelined for two weeks 08/08-08/22. The dealership replaced tpms sensors, remote radio receiver, door lock & alarm sensor, and the body control module. All items failed to correct the problem. Ford hotline was contacted and instructed to verify all accessories were unplugged from USB, & 12v accessory ports and reset the tpms system. When all the accessories were unplugged the system was able to reset and I haven't had a problem since. What I was told some accessories create interference between the receiver and the tpms transmitter they call it RF disturbance.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:23 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have never had a failure with my TPMS unless I drop it and I run over it. Works quite well. I prefer the ones capable of reading up to 150psi, though I feel I'll never need to read a tire with that much pressure. But it's nice to know that I could, should the need arise.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I have never had a failure with my TPMS unless I drop it and I run over it. Works quite well. I prefer the ones capable of reading up to 150psi, though I feel I'll never need to read a tire with that much pressure. But it's nice to know that I could, should the need arise.

We can all thank Uncle Sugar for mandating that this technology be placed in our vehicles.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:34 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, I know. My wife's got it in her car.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:45 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Alyupe11
I had a similar problem that had my truck sidelined for two weeks 08/08-08/22. The dealership replaced tpms sensors, remote radio receiver, door lock & alarm sensor, and the body control module. All items failed to correct the problem. Ford hotline was contacted and instructed to verify all accessories were unplugged from USB, & 12v accessory ports and reset the tpms system. When all the accessories were unplugged the system was able to reset and I haven't had a problem since. What I was told some accessories create interference between the receiver and the tpms transmitter they call it RF disturbance.
I believe this because I get it only when my wife is riding shotgun with her phone plugged into the 12v port. Every time I pulled over and looked at my tires and they were all good to go.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:25 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
I believe this because I get it only when my wife is riding shotgun with her phone plugged into the 12v port. Every time I pulled over and looked at my tires and they were all good to go.
I always have a dash cam plugged into the 12V port, wonder if they unplugged it when they installed the BCM?

Old 08-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Looks like Round 4 coming up for this chronic issue. Today, here's the diagnosis and repair:
"Customer states TPM light on again. Scanned vehicle found no codes. Scanned monitored PIDS to see if sensor is reading. Sensors are reading but not accurately. Attempted to retrain all sensors. 3 out of 4 will not train. Replaced all 3 sensors. All tested OK at this time."
Last 2 times I get about 12 miles from the dealer and the problem pops back up. And looking at the mileage on the invoice when they took it in and the mileage on the truck when I got it home it appears that they have driven it to see if the problem shows itself again.
Back after the holiday weekend for round 4. I'm not mad at the dealer, just getting frustrated as I'm sure they are. I'm sure they don't want to see this thing back any more than I want to return with it. I know that these intermittent electrical or computer issues can be a bear to track down and solve.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:53 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks Poncho sorry you've gotten the runaround but small consolation you have convinced me that I will ignore mine. I will also fix the poltergeist wiper problem myself should my truck become afflicted.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
Thanks Poncho sorry you've gotten the runaround but small consolation you have convinced me that I will ignore mine. I will also fix the poltergeist wiper problem myself should my truck become afflicted.
I don't think they're running me around, I think they've tried the common fixes and it's not working. You know what a pain these type of electronic/computer type things can sometimes be.
It actually went away the afternoon before the appointment so maybe sometimes it does reset itself. Next time it does, I'll unplug my dashcam, which does create it's own miniature network with my iPhone. Maybe that's somehow interfering with the TPMS/body module communication. Hopefully that happens before Tuesday's appointment and I can cancel it if putting on some miles doesn't make the problem reappear.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:10 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts
I have the same problem in my F150 and in my F250. On both my trucks, if I charge my iPhone in the 12V jack on the dash, closest to the driver I will get this problem. I have tried several 12V USB chargers and always the same problem. I have my radar detector plugged in with no issues and I can charge my phone in any other jack w/o issue. My iPhone & iPad both cause this problem. Lucky for me there are plenty of charging options in the truck.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor Fault