1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really FORD...Rotted Brake Plates...AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:58 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We don't really have superduty rot up here unless the truck comes from the east. Pretty much all vehicles that are rusted out here now a days you can bet they came from out east.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:35 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squisher
Sorry man but that makes no sense to me. I live in BC too and most of BC gets the roads treated with salt or equally corrosive chemicals of sorts. So they teach in your engineering class to not be concerned about what you're designing will be exposed to? Shouldn't they be teaching you to design something that will last in whatever environment it may be used in?
I'm not trying to create a debate, I'm simply pointing out a possible cause. And no, Engineering classes do not teach you to be unconcerned. My experience (both school and 20 years of real world experience) has taught me to look at root cause analysis.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:37 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Yes the material.....and the application. Vehicle Design Constraints are not/should not ever be limited to regional climate but rather tested for the extremes in durability to insure that one puts out a quality product which does not fail prematurely within its designed obsolescence, ('dont think 5 years is Fords goal). Otherwise you have a lawsuit or a recall or both. Or worse a black eye for the consumer...(Pinto, Edsel). Thats what R&D is for. These parts HAVE NOT met this durability criteria IMO. Clearly these parts were under-designed and not put into the salt or humidity chambers.
What engineering field do you work in? BTW, if you up load each picture as a jpeg or a mpeg. you should be able to post as many pictures as the site allows, Plenty of other users do it daily.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:41 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Originally Posted by dtherrien
I tend too agree with some of the simplest parts not being sufficient.
I would say the current trucks are way overpriced for what you are getting...alot of bells and whistles. My truck is two months old. So i have a real feel for the truck now. I can say without doubt its not worth $47k. For me its a business expense and one reason i bought it was so i can maintain it how i want from new. So time will tell how it holds up in the north east.
I would rather pay $47k for a truck that doesnt rust out and has only maintenance issues for 20 years and forgo all the bells and whistles.
And again, you live in the rust belt.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:52 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss416
What engineering field do you work in? BTW, if you up load each picture as a jpeg or a mpeg. you should be able to post as many pictures as the site allows, Plenty of other users do it daily.
Was in Automotive R&D Electrical/Mechanical/Design/Process engineering for Delco/Delphi, now doing the same for a medical device company.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:16 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dtherrien
I tend too agree with some of the simplest parts not being sufficient.
I would say the current trucks are way overpriced for what you are getting...alot of bells and whistles. My truck is two months old. So i have a real feel for the truck now. I can say without doubt its not worth $47k. For me its a business expense and one reason i bought it was so i can maintain it how i want from new. So time will tell how it holds up in the north east.
I would rather pay $47k for a truck that doesnt rust out and has only maintenance issues for 20 years and forgo all the bells and whistles.
Do yourself a favor and protect that investment. Get it Krown Rust Proofed NOW(not the other rust proofing method). Salve up/douche that truck down from new. Dam thing will drip for a week. Has to be reapplied annually to keep the 10 year rust through warranty valid. So far Im impressed. 3 salty winters and no new surface rust on chassis.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:17 AM
moymurfs
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, there are only a couple of people on this earth I would wish bad luck upon. You were NOT one of them. However, It gives me some type of satisfaction when an engineer gets to experience another engineers idea of a good design that a 1st grader can see is fubar.
Sorry about your truck problem..

Old 06-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
We don't really have superduty rot up here unless the truck comes from the east. Pretty much all vehicles that are rusted out here now a days you can bet they came from out east.
I have strong opinions about the salting programs in the Rust Belt. Such as the government in these heavily governed areas feel a need to protect the people at all costs. It is not the individuals responsibility to learn how to handle the conditions, it is the governments need to control the conditions. I am just getting done with brakes on my F250 which need to be done every 2-3 years due to rust on the rotors. Motorcraft, White Box, Raybestos all cannot build a rotor which will stand up to this climate. My last set was Formula BLue and after 30K miles the pads and most of the rotors were like new, not worn. The inside fronts, however, were scratched from the salt and sand winter bath. One had a pit over 1 sq inch by .125 deep which caused violent shuddering under braking. Cast iron failure but not uncommon to rotors here. I am tired of watching vehicles depreciate at 3 times the normal rate as they rust into the ground simply from being exposed to the multiple tons of salt the government feels it takes to make the community safe.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I know we don't get it as bad as the east out here in the west but my '11 sits in a heated shop all winter still the same. I figured that for what I could sell my '03 for would be worth about one winters damage to my '11. So I kept it as a 'winter beater' and I only paid 1/3 the sticker price on my '11, if I'd paid full pop I don't think I'd drive it at all. Lol.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:09 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
I feel and agree with the pain. Stupid cannot be fixed and everyone wants to sue to cover up their stupidity, thus 10 tons of salt per citizen per winter. AND you and I pay to salt our trucks down! There are other ways of controlling ice. But the salt mines won’t have that nor the guys that get triple overtime to spread it around...job losses. All politics/economics. Moving to Phoenix is my solution. But not for a few more years yet. Then I can buy a tin can and drive it till I die. It’ll melt before it rots.

For as many times as we need to R&R rotors(and backers) we could afford Inconel 625 rotors, once, and be done with it. I cant wait to see how the new 250-350s (err I mean 150s) hold up. My bets they will turn to oxidized dust much faster.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I may not keep my '17 F350 as long as I have in the past but I still intend to pursue an active rust/corrosion preventative program. Done by someone else, not me. Retired and find everything takes twice as long as it used to.

As for heated garage: I built a large shop several years ago and started keeping my '01 inside so it would be dry and warm in the morning. Several others said it was not good and I soon realized that drying off and resalting every day was leading to more rust problems than if just left outside frozen at 10 degrees. But the weather does change and the brine unfreezes and turns to slush treatment. Trade every 3 years and let someone else have the rust problems, or move to Phoenix.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
To clarify when I park my '11 in the shop for the winter it goes in spotless and only gets cleaner over the winter. Only steps out to be run a bit now and then, never driven on the road or salt.

I agree unless you have things on your truck that need to stay unfrozen I leave my winter vehicles out in the cold.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:56 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
The sacrificial anode type rust preventers work well too. Marine type. They are expensive but so is replacing the truck. Google them.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:33 PM
dtherrien
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss416
And again, you live in the rust belt.

I do live in the rust belt. But superduties rust out quicker than they should.
Like i said my two 2003 f150s had no rust issues. One had surface rust on the rear passenger door inside lip that i would touch up once a year. The other one was spotless.

I plan on fluid filming it a couple times a year...late spring and late fall. Ive already done it once.
My truck too stays in a garage. It is a work vehicle and thats how i use it. Just hoping it isnt all rusted out in 6 years.
I paying double payments on it so i can own it in less than 3 years.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:11 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Ah ok - I must have missed the part of the owners manual where it said my SD was not designed to be used where it rains or snows or they use salt on the roads. And the part where it says my warranty was voided the first time I put my snow plow on or a bale of hay in the bed. Damn fine print got me again, lol.

Salt on roads is a reality, a well known one. Design for it. Duh.

Quick Reply: Really FORD...Rotted Brake Plates...AGAIN