1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

'97 E350 Club Wagon 4x4 cummins conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:28 AM
Bones929K
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kountzecobra
These vans can make many things a PITA with little room to work. Thankfully with the Cummins in mine it has more room than with the original 460 engine. I finally connected the air filter with a silicone flex hose so I can move it out of the way to service things.
I've setup everything so a normal service can be done from the doghouse because of how far back the engine sits. The only thing I'll have to lift the hood for really is coolant, power steering (remote reservoir), brake fluid, battery and air filter, which are easily accessible. The only thing I'm going to have to relocate in the future is the oil filter. As for right now the intake tubing has to come out to get to it. But on the up side, I put the industrial oil pan on it so the system holds roughly 20+ quarts and has a aux port for additional filtering systems. Won't know the exact amount until I run it and get it on level ground. Amsoil makes a good bypass filter system with two huge filters that mount to the frame and take oil from an oil port (either on the filter housing or from the pressure sensor port) and feed it through the filters and back to the oil pan. Big benefit is the increase in oil change intervals.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:48 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
As a word of caution concerning the Amsoil bypass system. There have been issues with failures to work properly, needless to say that's of huge concern if true.

I've sent a link via PM to another site where this is discussed---might be a good read.

Still VERY impressed with your progress here---massive respect!

Whoops---can't send a PM, might not have that option enabled? Left the link in your visitors message area----hope it's helpful.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Bones929K
Junior User
Originally Posted by JWA
As a word of caution concerning the Amsoil bypass system. There have been issues with failures to work properly, needless to say that's of huge concern if true.

I've sent a link via PM to another site where this is discussed---might be a good read.

Still VERY impressed with your progress here---massive respect!

Whoops---can't send a PM, might not have that option enabled? Left the link in your visitors message area----hope it's helpful.
Thanks JWA, I'll definetly check it out. I think the only good thing is i still have the factory oil filter in place to do the work even with that kit. They call it a bypass system but it doesn't actually bypass your factory setup, it's just an extra filtering system. Good to know though, considering that it costs about $700 bucks. If it doesn't work then i definetly don't want it!

Old 06-18-2016, 06:28 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Yeah when I first saw that article it was interesting---more than a few on that site discovered they had problems too.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:28 AM
kountzecobra
Tuned
It's pretty hard to improve on what Cummins designed. At most I would consider using a remote filter setup to relocate the stock filter. Luckily, mine is easily accessible.
Lots of info on the 4BT swap site.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:32 AM
vicp21
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say, this swap is fantastical. Great job

Old 06-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Bones929K
Junior User
Originally Posted by vicp21
I have to say, this swap is fantastical. Great job
Thanks, this is what happens when people tell me it can't be done! LOL
Like hell it can't

Old 06-21-2016, 02:15 PM
vicp21
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would love to have a 4x4 van, my wife thinks I'm crazy

Old 06-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Bones929K
Junior User
Final install of the pillar gauges

Gettin really close, still have to wire in the Trans controller and some other electronics and finish the exhaust before i can test fire it. After that its driveshafts, doghouse mods, hood scoop, paint, interior and a few other small details.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:57 PM
kountzecobra
Tuned
Looking good! Glad you posted. I was wondering how things were going.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Boondockdad
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is phenom. Bones you r the man.

What kind of numbers do you expect with that Cummins?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:41 PM
Bones929K
Junior User
Originally Posted by Boondockdad
This is phenom. Bones you r the man.

What kind of numbers do you expect with that Cummins?
For right now it's a stock 180 fuel pump and stock injectors. I've installed an AFC live kit and 3k governer springs so I'm thinkin around 300hp to start.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Bones929K
Junior User
Finally got to the exhaust nightmare today. Not sure how well it will work. I had to restrict it quit a bit in one spot. May have to eventually cut and notch the floor and doghouse for more clearance but I'm gonna try it like this first.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:30 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Excellent Craftsmanship in every aspect.....
In my opinion I would cut the floor out and make some kind of Mini Me doghouse that connects to the Exhisiting one....You are choking the engine just like the Flat downpipes on the OBS....but unless you can move the Turbo forward you will have Flow Issues Issues with your current configuraton.....remember everything after the Turbo outlet is irrelevant power wise...And I believe the green color is Kawasaki Racing since I have 3 of them ....and it looks real close.....
Keep up the excellent work

Old 07-18-2016, 07:32 AM
Bones929K
Junior User
Originally Posted by blageurt
Excellent Craftsmanship in every aspect.....
In my opinion I would cut the floor out and make some kind of Mini Me doghouse that connects to the Exhisiting one....You are choking the engine just like the Flat downpipes on the OBS....but unless you can move the Turbo forward you will have Flow Issues Issues with your current configuraton.....remember everything after the Turbo outlet is irrelevant power wise...And I believe the green color is Kawasaki Racing since I have 3 of them ....and it looks real close.....
Keep up the excellent work
yeah, I think I'm gonna leave it like this just to get it up and running then modify the floor and doghouse to run a proper 4" down pipe. It still has the equivalent of roughly a 3" pipe at the restriction and its a 4" down pipe which is only about 2' long in total then it goes to the 5" pipe to the rear. So in reality that one spot is the only restriction the exhaust has. Its one of those (just wait and see what happens) scenarios. LOL

Quick Reply: '97 E350 Club Wagon 4x4 cummins conversion