2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

Any Disappointed Transit Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Transits being as new as they are, they may have similar or even worse rust issues than the Sprinter
I'd argue that point up and down. The sprinters continue to have rust issues for whatever reason, and to suggest Ford would have the same problem because it's a new model to the US lacks any base. The Transits have been in production since '65. Ford didn't borrow MB paint technology in order to raise the roof. That's simply a silly notion.

The Promasters biggest downfall is the FWD layout. For heavy loads you're likely to get a fair amount of understeer. For light loads it might be ideal. Did they change the parking brake lever on them yet? Last one I was it had it right in your left leg of the driver when getting in and out. Plus it's a Fiat.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Frantz I'm with you on this rust issues. Apart from what I consider a horrible year rust-wise for the E-Series (2003, one rusting away sitting in my driveway right now ) Ford's bodies overall when properly maintained seem to hold up very well. My 2000 E250 salvage-titled E250 just topping 280K miles says they're capable of building a sound body.

If Ford simply maintains whatever current practices they use in painting the Transit's as was used for the E-Series I'm "hoping" premature and excessive rust is NOT an issue for The Blue Oval stuff.

Pro Masters----they're Chrysler which says so much unfortunately.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:43 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm hoping that Transits do well with rust in the future. When the Sprinter was new to the US, my instinct told me that the thin sandwiched body panels were too much like a Jeep CJ (etc) or my old FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser and that they would be prone to rust from the inside out. The issue here is not so much paint as it is internal galvanizing and rustproofing. This was one reason I did not buy one in 2003 and went with a new E150 instead.

Ford continues to have *some* silly paint issues like Expedition aluminum hoods and tailgates which continue to be a problem even with the new gen 2015+ models. So far, this aluminum body paint adhesion problem does not seem to affect F150's which is a good thing as there are so darn many of them out there. I am seeing a lot of badly rusted out Super Duty pickups around Michigan, however.

And yeah, it's not like either Chrysler or Fiat have done well with QC....their merger reminds me of my prediction when AMC (worst QC company in the US) merged with Renault (which like all French and Italian car companies built only garbage in terms of US market).

I am driving a 2016 FCA Grand Caravan--loaded R/T model (and waiting for a new nav unit to arrive at the dealership after 1 year and 11k miles). My trust in it went as far as my buying literally a LIFETIME FCA warranty for the van. Cost me $2500 and I am banking on cashing in if I hold onto the van for my usual 125-150k miles. Otherwise it's a nice vehicle... And I do have friends and family who have driven various Chrysler vehicles (Dodge pickups and vans, Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, and even minivans and cars) 200-300k miles.

George

Old 06-25-2017, 08:34 AM
interstategar
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beware of the Transit

I'm in the expedited business. I've talked to 2 Transit owners. Both run the high cube Transit vans. We put on 75K mi per year, mostly highway miles. The first owner had a 2013, and at 150K miles, the driveshaft and reat failed. The brakes and tires last half as long as the Chevy van he ran before. He was looking for a laywer to sue Ford. The second owner had a brand new 2017. At 4000 miles the engine blew. It was replace under warranty. He vary wary about the Transit. While I was talking to him I noticed is battery light was on. I run a 2012 Ford E350 Econoline 5.4L flex fuel. I have 3131K miles on it. The only repairs I have done are I replaced both front O2 sensors, the rear brake pads, and the climate fan motor resistor. The A/C cold side line was dripping right on it so I duct taped it to redirect the condensation. I replaced the tires once, but they will soon be replaced. I replaced the headlights twice. That's it. I still am running the original spark plug and coils.

Ford could have kept the very reliable Econoline and just put a Transit body on it, but they stupidly ended this van's life.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:49 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Odd but good this thread comes back at this time---and thanks for sharing your experiences ISG!

I too have talked with one or two Transit owners who haul similar loads to mine, my being mostly tools and windshields transported to jobs. Not a lot of city driving, most at freeway speeds but during our winters the engine will idle for upwards of 4 hours some days.

They're not overly fond of the stock engine as it doesn't have the same ooomph as the 5.4 or 6.8. I refuse to own a turbocharged motor for hauling cargo so the Eco Boost motor is a deal breaker for me.

Here's an interesting but troubling link to one guy's troubles with an earlier Transit: http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/w...et-far-33.html----between this being an earlier version and the lack of Ford's ability or willingness to correct the problem buying brand new isn't something I'd consider. Like so many vehicle manufacturers once they have your money you're really pretty much on your own when problems like detailed in that link. (The owner has patience I've rarely seen. )

I've been looking for an E-Series wheel transporter van, raised roof with extended height doors will be perfect. Since most of these are just the E-350 chassis outfitted as a people hauler the rear cargo area windows will be replace with sheet metal panels painted to resemble dark tinted glass.

The plushy interior panels and seating would also be removed and either sold off dirt cheap or just given away. Same with any chair lift---remove and discard/donate quickly.

I'm with you on lamenting the E-Series for we who need that sort of chassis and power train capacity. I'm not willing to gamble the Transi would suit my needs.

Thanks again for sharing!

Old 06-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Can't type much, have been having some carpal tunnel problems for the last few months, but a couple of thoughts...

Originally Posted by interstategar
I'm in the expedited business. I've talked to 2 Transit owners. Both run the high cube Transit vans. We put on 75K mi per year, mostly highway miles. The first owner had a 2013, and at 150K miles, the driveshaft and reat failed. The brakes and tires last half as long as the Chevy van he ran before. He was looking for a laywer to sue Ford. The second owner had a brand new 2017. At 4000 miles the engine blew. It was replace under warranty. He vary wary about the Transit. While I was talking to him I noticed is battery light was on. I run a 2012 Ford E350 Econoline 5.4L flex fuel. I have 3131K miles on it. The only repairs I have done are I replaced both front O2 sensors, the rear brake pads, and the climate fan motor resistor. The A/C cold side line was dripping right on it so I duct taped it to redirect the condensation. I replaced the tires once, but they will soon be replaced. I replaced the headlights twice. That's it. I still am running the original spark plug and coils.

Ford could have kept the very reliable Econoline and just put a Transit body on it, but they stupidly ended this van's life.
He dropped in and started a thread with this very same post on the Transit forum. Looks like his thoughts aren't shared among the Transit owners over there.

Beware of the Transit - Ford Transit USA Forum

Originally Posted by JWA
They're not overly fond of the stock engine as it doesn't have the same ooomph as the 5.4 or 6.8. I refuse to own a turbocharged motor for hauling cargo so the Eco Boost motor is a deal breaker for me.
I haven't driven a 5.4L-powered Econoline in over a decade, but the 4.6L wheelchair van we rented in Florida felt like a gutless pig compared to our 3.7L Transit. Times are changing, and turbocharged engines are becoming more and more common. By most accounts the EcoBoost engines are acquitting themselves well, even in heavy service. Lots of high mileage examples out there without issues, some over 300K.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:55 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
It seems to me that a lot of Ecoboost 3.5's have been idled for thousands of hours in police vehicles. I haven't really researched but would guess if there was any general problem idling an EB extensively that we would have heard of it already.

That said, I am still considering an Edge as a DD and the Sport with 2.7 EB is tempting, and the 2.0 EB 4 cylinder is tempting as an economical choice. I am still a bit cautious about getting one of these engines...with the 3.5 V6 as probably my default choice right now.

One concern is intake valve carboning on any direct injection engine as well as fuel dilution of the oil. Ford's Gen 2 3.5 EB in the pickups has port and direct injectors both (like Toyota) and this seems to be the best remedy for intake valve carboning. Not sure when the Transits will get the Gen 2 EB engine, and the Gen 2 2.7 EB is supposed to hit for 2018 in the pickups but not sure if it will show up in the Edge Sport that same year or be delayed for another year or two.

George

Old 06-25-2017, 01:19 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Tom
Can't type much, have been having some carpal tunnel problems for the last few months, but a couple of thoughts...
Sorry to hear about the CTS----can't be easy in today's age where we're typing so much so often. Get well soon Tom!

Originally Posted by Tom
He dropped in and started a thread with this very same post on the Transit forum. Looks like his thoughts aren't shared among the Transit owners over there.
In the end my decision will be made 100% relative to usefulness for my needs---never been a consensus sorta person especially when the usage isn't directly comparable to my own The potential for problems NOT easily fixed DIY as I do now greatly concern me. I'm sure there are high mileage or hours Transits in use and maybe the EB motors are doing well----good on Ford if that's the case. Being a bit of the glass half full type though so the concerns or situations where downtime is the result that I've so far only read about concern me enough that the T-Series is still "too new", the E-Series much more tried-and-true that fits my comfort levels.

I know enough about the 5.4 & 6.4 Modular Motors/transmissions where repairs tend to be quick, relatively inexpensive and nearly always fully within my DIY capabilities----all factors that will influence my choice. Because my work is 100% dependent on a reliable vehicle reliable is my watch word. If simply moving even temporarily from one vehicle to another were possible this wouldn't be a concern at all. Moving nearly 2,000# of tools and tool boxes, racks, supplies and such isn't all that easy.

Admittedly the E-Series is old skool yet the nature of my work is pretty much unchanged since me first beginning it about 1988. Apart from a few very subtle advances in some aspects (adhesion technology) its the same job as was being done in the 60's. So it and the E-Series would be contemporaries, right?

Originally Posted by Tom
I haven't driven a 5.4L-powered Econoline in over a decade, but the 4.6L wheelchair van we rented in Florida felt like a gutless pig compared to our 3.7L Transit. Times are changing, and turbocharged engines are becoming more and more common. By most accounts the EcoBoost engines are acquitting themselves well, even in heavy service. Lots of high mileage examples out there without issues, some over 300K.
I myself would and will avoid any E-Series with the 4.6l motors. To my mind the 5.4l with 3.73 final drive is border line adequately powered, would much prefer the 6.8 for my load situations. Mobility-equipped vans I'm shopping have nothing less than 5.4 motors.

Of course in my perfect world I could have a long wheelbase medium roof Transi on the antiquated E-Series frame complete with a modular motor. The ride height would be insane, couldn't fit under most fast food drive through windows though---bummer.

Back to the reliability and glass half full issues---I could NOT sleep at night fearing my "times are a changin'" vehicle clogging up the drive way couldn't make its daily runs.

Good gravy who'd ever think spending more than $20-25K would be so tough?

Old 06-25-2017, 01:26 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on our transit's. Both ecoboost vans have been doing fine just broke 50,000 miles in both vans. Only issues is still water injestion while raining. We have advised both drivers of those 2 vans to pull over and wait when it rains. We check the air filters weekly now and carry a few spares in the vans just in case. This has reduced our down time considerably. The other van has just over 30,000 miles. A few months ago we took it to ford because of a growling noise from the rear end. A few days later they called to tell us that the rear axle is being replaced under warranty. This van has never towed and hasn't hauled much weight. I guess we got a lemon axle.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:40 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 2002exPSD
A few months ago we took it to ford because of a growling noise from the rear end. A few days later they called to tell us that the rear axle is being replaced under warranty. This van has never towed and hasn't hauled much weight. I guess we got a lemon axle.
Could your rear axle issue be related to the Guibo, that flex-joint replacing the typical U-joints of years past? I understand those tend to fail somewhat regularly around the 60K miles mark.

I do hear the water ingestion issue has been solved in the later models.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:24 PM
kbsupercrew
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to get off the subject being talked about here, but im starting to be annoyed with the Transit, as I'm tired of the p0299 code popping up now and then, for turbo underboost, in which I go and wiggle all the plugs of the air intake and it seems to go off after a day or two, then pops back up a few weeks later. Now the drive shaft recall, in which takes 4 hours according to Ford, during the week which means me not working that day! Its fords mistake, at least give me a loaner, or do it on a weekend.
Also I wonder if the lower panels of the passenger doors are covered in the recall as you can scrape the panel pretty good if the side door is open too much and you open the passenger front door. End of Rant. my 2 cents.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:53 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
For myself I've come to the conclusion a brand new from the dealership Transit is off the table now. Its not the vehicle as much as it is dealing with the warranty issues under their terms which are almost never convenient to the owner. The new purchase price is substantial and I simply won't be held captive to the whims of a service outfit.

The search for a suitable E-Series continues but the luxury of time is on my side, don't really need anything new(er) just yet.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by JWA
For myself I've come to the conclusion a brand new from the dealership Transit is off the table now. Its not the vehicle as much as it is dealing with the warranty issues under their terms which are almost never convenient to the owner. The new purchase price is substantial and I simply won't be held captive to the whims of a service outfit.

The search for a suitable E-Series continues but the luxury of time is on my side, don't really need anything new(er) just yet.
Hey JWA:

If you choose not to buy a new Transit because of the price, I get that just fine.

BUT a couple anecdotes from people who have had poor dealer warranty service are not an indication of the typical buyer experience. I have a great relationship with the service departments at 2 local Ford dealers and LOVE to have newer vehicles which are under warranty... Both of these dealers have gone out of their way to take care of me both for warranty work and for post-warranty repairs.

A good dealer will treat you like the valuable customer you are.

Take care, and I hope you're having a good summer,
George

Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Hey JWA:
Take care, and I hope you're having a good summer,
George
YoGeorge summer's going great---got the current girlfriend working to MY schedule now---that's sure to change soon though---right?

I get your point about dealerships and yes in a perfect world they'd realize repeat business for additional vehicles or service/parts is their real profit centers. If I could buy a new Transi through my local go-to dealer's parts department I'd get quite the royal treatment.

I'm sure the relatively few warranty repair issues I've read about over the interwebz aren't normal by any means. Being more of the "glass half full...." sort I'm highly concerned if/when I had to deal with any warranty repair it would require downtime which I just can't abide. As this would be a work-only truck that carries a substantial of vital tools and equipment being without those. I'd NOT leave such a vehicle in someone else's care out of my sight----too much to loose.

I know all this sounds paranoid as all Hades but my knowledge of DIY repairs along with perhaps 20+ talented hungry mechanics I trust who also work cheap for cash the E-Series are still mightily attractive. When the right chassis appointed as I need pops up I have ready cash set aside. One payment and its all mine!

Good thoughts as usual YoGeorge----hope your summer up north is going great too. I'm looking forward to Kid Rock being your new representative!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
There are gonna be enough E vans around to keep you in biz till you retire, depending on how expensive your girlfriends are I do understand about the tools and stuff; you might want to pre-emptively get your hands on the newest used E-vans you can, and maybe buy a couple of them.

Not too sure about Kid Rock. Even tho I don't always like career politicians, I think our elected officials should have to take some basic civics tests, be able to actually work through an organized political process, and show some proficiency other than borrowing licks and rhyming the word "things" with the word "things" in a song...

Take care,
George

Quick Reply: Any Disappointed Transit Owners?