1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2016 cutaway

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear the dealer didn't want to deal with you..........I'm sure in due time the dealer will regret that......as that van sits on the lot......

Doing a little checking where the dealer is, Red Hill.......that's not really too far from Reading Body, in Bowmansville, so getting the cut-away drive train you want, and dealing directly with Reading and getting the body you want might be the way to go

Of course you will not be paying for the dealer mark-up on the body.......

Heading down the road on Monday to Cleveland, I seen 2 drop decks heading east on 90, with 6 cut-a-ways stacked up on each trailer.......heading some wheres? To Reading? To Buffalo for Uni-cells? It was good to see the E series is still being made for the cut-a-ways

Yes JWA, I was in the Buckeye state for a day, finishing up a job.
(Be back that way around the 2nd week of July to install the last of 4 jobs and finish the 3rd one up)
Planning on being back in Valley Forge next week on the new gig.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best deals are at the END of the month. I'd try again then.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to the Bowmansville factory. When I had my 08 F350, I wanted to swap out the bed for an enclosed aluminum body so I went there to get a price for it. The total for the body and installation was $13,500 which included two tone paint to match my truck. I never did it but at least I got to look around the place. As of now Reading is the only company that has an aluminum body, so I will definitely go with them.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Interesting............So, if you add up the cost of a dealer cut-a-way with the options and drive train you want........and then get a quote for the body you want........will it even come close to the price of the posted "special" from the dealer???

Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildman25
Interesting............So, if you add up the cost of a dealer cut-a-way with the options and drive train you want........and then get a quote for the body you want........will it even come close to the price of the posted "special" from the dealer???
That's a great idea----maybe shop locally for a gently used or new utility body and add that to a chassis you might find?

Dualwheels I didn't see your location but here in Ohio there are probably 50 or more utility body upfitters of the commercial variety. Nearly every would would sell, install and outfit a body to suit your needs.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:08 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
The cost of the body was $13,100. That's aluminum, if I remember the steel was about $1500 less. If there is a markup it isn't much, the dealer emailed me a copy of Readings quote. Besides I don't have the time to make a bunch of phone calls when the dealer does it all the time. I dont think I would save all that much money.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Man.........I hate to say this........but phone calls are cheap.

I could stay home all day making phone calls, and checking on Al Gores internet and save a bundle of $$$$$$ instead of relaying on "other' to do it.

The "other's" always make sure there is a piece of the pie for them self's.

One thing my father taught me..........'eliminate the middle man'......and I've been following that rule for ever.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:43 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wildman25
Man.........I hate to say this........but phone calls are cheap.

I could stay home all day making phone calls, and checking on Al Gores internet and save a bundle of $$$$$$ instead of relaying on "other' to do it.

The "other's" always make sure there is a piece of the pie for them self's.

One thing my father taught me..........'eliminate the middle man'......and I've been following that rule for ever.
Another best answer yet!
My dad was the same, if you hire a repairman, you are just buying his tools. Buy your own tools and do it yourself. jim

Old 06-19-2016, 01:58 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Wild man and jimandnena

You two make a good point but the converse is a good point also. Some people just want to buy a finished product that will serve them well.

Wildman you said it yourself "sit at home all day... Phone calls and Internet..." What are you, retired? Some of us don't have that kind of time.

Same reason I have often commented on old 15+ year old vans- they're a project. (Hey some people are ok with a project. That's fine too, but facts are facts).

People are different.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:34 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by Im50fast
You two make a good point but the converse is a good point also. Some people just want to buy a finished product that will serve them well.

Wildman you said it yourself "sit at home all day... Phone calls and Internet..." What are you, retired? Some of us don't have that kind of time.

Same reason I have often commented on old 15+ year old vans- they're a project. (Hey some people are ok with a project. That's fine too, but facts are facts).

People are different.
All true, Im50fast. And the number of businesses selling and fixing stuff is proof of that.

Yes, retired, that's me.

Seven years ago at age 60, I quit a 9to5, 5 days a week regular job. I'm not one of those dotcom guys so I have just SS and pension but thanks to working on old stuff and saving the money that would have gone into someone else's pension fund, we have more to spend now than when I was "working".
The wife has a 97 Explorer we bought used in 2002, and I drive a 2010 Ford Edge bought last year. Either of them would go coast to coast tomorrow, no problem.
The '88 E-150 clubwagon was my pop's, bought new, and driven until he quit driving 12 years ago. I got it when he gave away all his rolling stock. It hadn't moved in 10 years and it WAS a retirement project. I sold it once it was done, and it would also go coast-to-coast tomorrow.

On caveat on being "retired" to fix-it people, you do not get weekends off anymore.
jim

Old 06-19-2016, 05:23 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
As others have said, time to make a bunch of phone calls is something I don't have time for this time of year. I would rather buy it done and assembled. If I pay a little more it's ok as it is a write off anyway, although I don't think they mark up the price that much. I do my own maintenance on all my vehicles but there are times when I have my brother, a Ford tech, do things to the truck that I just don't have time for. I have a good reputation for customer service so there are times when the customer comes first at the expense of paying someone else to do what I could do myself.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Im50fast

People are different.
Very far from that........I work 50-60 hours a week, 7 days most weeks, and if were on the road, add 400-900 miles to that for drive time.
Sundays, like to day, was paper work, and getting the van ready and loaded for the road work this week.

No, my point is, if I take a day off to shop around, and save 4-5K, then my time is worth just that much more
I have to take days off to bid jobs, and I don't get paid for that, unless we land the job, and do it, and wait to get paid, it all pan's out after time.

Retirement..........haha......that's about another 16 years away for me.........that's how far I'm from hitting 75
And......self-employed people don't have a pension plan........

Old 06-20-2016, 01:56 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
I turned 50 in January, so the day I retire is the same day I die. I am not one to sit around and watch tv, so I might as well work.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:01 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
I turned 50 in January, so the day I retire is the same day I die. I am not one to sit around and watch tv, so I might as well work.

Or, have someone give you a 27 year old Econoline.
jim

Old 07-14-2016, 09:37 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
I pulled the trigger today on a new 2016 E350 cutaway. Its the same kind of van in the previous pictures. The dealer was in Ephrata Pa, they were really nice to deal with. I paid 31,895 out the door, an incredible deal, I am so glad I walked away from the other dealer.
I left the dealership and went straight to my favorite stereo store to see about getting a radio with navigation. I got a price for a Kenwood ddx6903s $1152, installed. I pretty much ran out of the store, knees were a little wobbly.
I got home and started putting tools in it. I need some exterior lighting, a brake controller and I read somewhere about a steering stabilizer mod that I need to do. Let the fun begin.

Quick Reply: 2016 cutaway