1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Project Lazarus-The Mare Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:58 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
I would imagine how the ic is placed would make a difference also. I mounted mine fairly low. I put a piece of wood on top Of the tube and sat the ic on that and built my mounts.
I just mounted mine in the most common location which requires the least amount of core support cutting, but there is plenty of room for me to have moved it lower. Plus mine is a 7.3 IC; aren't the 6.0 ICs taller?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:11 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thomas, let's just say there was a McDonald's cup involved lol!

Old 05-20-2016, 02:14 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Thomas, let's just say there was a McDonald's cup involved lol!
Oh boy....say no more. Lol.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:48 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Lookn Good!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dclack
I just mounted mine in the most common location which requires the least amount of core support cutting, but there is plenty of room for me to have moved it lower. Plus mine is a 7.3 IC; aren't the 6.0 ICs taller?
The mare already has holes cut for an intercooler. I have a 7.3 here, I better pressure test it. I guess the homes could be opened up more if need be.

Originally Posted by nossliw
Lookn Good!
Thanks Nik! I'm hoping to have driveshafts, exhaust, t case, trans, radiator and core support out of red this week. The plan is to bring a machine home from work for the long weekend and pluck the ol 7.3 with a skid steer. This was I'm not worrying about over extending the HF engine hoist and I can do a little grading around the property to boot!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tshrager
The mare already has holes cut for an intercooler. I have a 7.3 here, I better pressure test it. I guess the homes could be opened up more if need be.

Think they are pretty darn close but the 6.0 is wider by a bit

Thanks Nik! I'm hoping to have driveshafts, exhaust, t case, trans, radiator and core support out of red this week. The plan is to bring a machine home from work for the long weekend and pluck the ol 7.3 with a skid steer. This was I'm not worrying about over extending the HF engine hoist and I can do a little grading around the property to boot!
Right on. the skid should make it a breeze! Thinking of just leaving it all bolted up and moving it as a unit or piece by piece?

Because I said this it will likely fold next time, but that cheapo HF 2 ton hoist has pulled a few dozen 12v and 7.3s at full extension without issue, out of a truck bed or frame, granted a trans and t case was never attached :-)

Old 05-23-2016, 05:26 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remind me, does this kit lift the truck? or just change the springs and or position for a better ride?

PMF RSK and adjustable track bar showed up today. Quality work right there. Waiting for my neighbor to come help me get this truck out of my shop so I can pull red in for demo.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:24 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by nossliw
Right on. the skid should make it a breeze! Thinking of just leaving it all bolted up and moving it as a unit or piece by piece?

Because I said this it will likely fold next time, but that cheapo HF 2 ton hoist has pulled a few dozen 12v and 7.3s at full extension without issue, out of a truck bed or frame, granted a trans and t case was never attached :-)
With the skid steer and front pulled, I may do it as a unit. I'll pull the t case at least. We shall see. No work tonight.

The HF hoist that my brother has, I would trust and borrow, but the one I have came second hand and the previous owner left it out in the elements for some time. I don't worry about the steel as much as the hydraulic cylinder failing. Plus I just reaffirmed with the owner of the company that I could bring the skid steer home Friday.

Originally Posted by mcali2
Remind me, does this kit lift the truck? or just change the springs and or position for a better ride?
It does lift the truck. They have a couple different options, but I went with the smallest lift possible with the 2.25". I really wanted no lift as that is not what the build purpose of this truck is about, but alas no one sells a no lift RSK. At least not one I could find.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:17 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
With the skid steer and front pulled, I may do it as a unit. I'll pull the t case at least. We shall see. No work tonight.

The HF hoist that my brother has, I would trust and borrow, but the one I have came second hand and the previous owner left it out in the elements for some time. I don't worry about the steel as much as the hydraulic cylinder failing. Plus I just reaffirmed with the owner of the company that I could bring the skid steer home Friday.

It does lift the truck. They have a couple different options, but I went with the smallest lift possible with the 2.25". I really wanted no lift as that is not what the build purpose of this truck is about, but alas no one sells a no lift RSK. At least not one I could find.
The way the rsk works lift is inevitable though I know how to get it done with no lift.its just the nature of being a bolt on deal.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:50 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fordman67
The way the rsk works lift is inevitable though I know how to get it done with no lift.its just the nature of being a bolt on deal.
I get that you're going to get some lift no matter what, but I haven't spent the time to try and figure out if that can 1" vs 2.25" or whatever the minimum can be. No time for such things.

At the end of the day, I'm willing to add some lift for a better ride. You know I don't care about fuel economy.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:23 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice to see you getting some nice parts lined up Todd! You're going to get real busy with it real soon!

Old 05-24-2016, 10:03 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Nice to see you getting some nice parts lined up Todd! You're going to get real busy with it real soon!
Thanks Darin! Slow and steady.

Got some time tonight and started pulling the front end. Man this poor girl is rusty. There's no doubt I'm making the right decision in starting over. Only thing holding the core support are the 2 large bolts underneath and the AC condenser lines which are soaking. Here's a couple pics.

The rot

Old 05-25-2016, 02:16 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Still sad to see one of these trucks breath its' last; but even better knowing that the Mare will rise again!!!

Old 05-25-2016, 05:29 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dclack
Still sad to see one of these trucks breath its' last; but even better knowing that the Mare will rise again!!!
You have no idea how much I've hated tearing this thing down. The end result should be much better though.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:31 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed. I wanna see it rise again

Quick Reply: Project Lazarus-The Mare Resurrection