6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Just did Heads, it's still smoking. Need Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:04 PM
djmechanic
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did Heads, it's still smoking. Need Help Please!

Here is the story. Just finished doing my own heads on my 2005 Excursion 6.0L. Turned it on with really no problems. After running for about 5 min. it started smoking. I also noticed that I had some pressure in the coolant reservoir. I toke off the cap and it stopped smoking. I placed it back one and it started to smoke again. Oil has water now. I used ford head gaskets and ARP bolts. I torqued the bolts down to ARP's specs and torque pater, 210 lbs/ft. I also replaced the oil cooler, stand pipes, stc and the dummy plugs. Also from Ford. I don't know where I went wrong. PLEASE HELP. Thanking you in advance.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Did ya test the EGR cooler? Did ya send the heads out or straight edge them?

Old 01-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Oil in the coolant is most commonly a leaking oil cooler.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:56 PM
djmechanic
Freshman User
I am replacing the EGR cooler with a BulletProof. I got the head checked for cracks and checked for warping. Everything was fine. Just don't get where the water is coming from. The oil is full of it. Could it be that my new oil cooler could be defective? But if that was true, where is the back pressure coming from?

Old 01-13-2016, 04:33 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Was it doing it before the work too?

Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 PM
dr67
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it isn't a failed head gasket install ( my best guess ), then It would need to be a failed Oil cooler and possibly a failed egr cooler. I cap off the degas bottle with it running and run a hose into a bottle of water from the degas cap. If it bubbles in the water you have pressure coming from somewhere. Most times if you unplug the turbo wires it will "relax" the turbo and decrease back pressure to the EGR cooler. If its the Egr cooler the bubbles will often stop. If its the head gasket they will not. If it points too a head gasket I always pressure test with a gauge before bucking the heads off. I have had an EGR cooler be bad enough to bubble after the turbo is unplugged. Its a simple test and I have had mixed results. But it may give you a direction to look.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:55 PM
djmechanic
Freshman User
I did the heads because my radiator cracked and the truck overheated when I took the family on vacation. So, there was water in my oil and white smoke was coming out of my truck. I just did my heads because I did not think that my egr could have gone out too. I think booth my heads and my egr went out at that same time. I did not know this till I started the truck and it started to blow out white smoke after doing the heads. I started to take the truck apart to see if I placed something in the wrong spot when I noticed water in the pipe that goes out of the intake to the air cooler. This is why I am replacing the egr. But I can't figure out why my oil has water.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
You might have blown "another" head gasket cause water doesn't compress,or you might have overheated it so bad that the block isn't square or is cracked. The second big question is,did the machine shop that did the heads know what they where doing with the 6.0 head?

Old 01-13-2016, 06:28 PM
djmechanic
Freshman User
The truck did over heat but not that bad. So I am assuming that the block is not bad. I have done business with this machine shop for years. I called them before I toke my heads and asked them if they have done 6.0 diesel heads. They said yes, plenty of times. When I found out about my problem, they were the first ones I call. Talked to the owner and he assured me that the head were checked correctly and that they were not cracked. The only solution I can come up with is that I probably damaged the head gaskets when I placed the heads. But before going that far I wanted to get people advice on what I would be missing or maybe something I placed wrong. Before taking my heads off again.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So did you have the heads milled?

Did you pinpoint why the truck over heated before you tore it apart?

How did you prep the block for head gaskets? You didn't wire wheel the gasket surface did you?

Pressure in the cooling system is either a stuck T-stat or a popped head gasket!

Old 01-14-2016, 03:16 AM
djmechanic
Freshman User
Restlesswildman,

I did not get the heads milled.
It overheated because my radiator cracked during a family vacation.
I did use a wire wheel for the block but not the heads.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:44 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by djmechanic
I am replacing the EGR cooler with a BulletProof. I got the head checked for cracks and checked for warping. Everything was fine. Just don't get where the water is coming from. The oil is full of it. Could it be that my new oil cooler could be defective? But if that was true, where is the back pressure coming from?
Sorry, re-read post and see it has coolant in the oil not the other way around.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by djmechanic
Restlesswildman,

I did not get the heads milled.
It overheated because my radiator cracked during a family vacation.
I did use a wire wheel for the block but not the heads.

Wire wheeling the block deck could be a bad thing if you were not careful. Most shop manuals tell you to use a non-marring scrapper.

Would you please explain why you did not have the heads milled? That is the #1 thing to do when you do head gaskets! The 6.0L is known for warped heads. Hell if Ford remans out of the box are warped a bit!

When you say over heated.....overheated as in temps spiked the gauge to the roof? All coolant puked out of the cooling system over heated? If so why didn't you mill the heads?

Doing heads on the 6.0L is time consuming if you do not do them on a regular basis! Plus head gaskets are pricey! BTW you did use FMC gaskets right?

Old 01-14-2016, 04:34 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 997 Likes on 767 Posts
cracked heads or block or warped heads.

dye penetrate testing ?

Old 01-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
cracked heads or block or warped heads.

dye penetrate testing ?

The bold would be my guess!

Quick Reply: Just did Heads, it's still smoking. Need Help Please!