1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Oil Filter Collapsing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil Filter Collapsing

What do you mean by it collapses? Is it ballooning and blowing apart or?
Seeing that the filter is on the pressure side of the oil pump I dont see how it could collapse in.

Old 08-13-2003, 09:35 AM
stacy295
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Filter Collapsing

The last mechanic who looked at it just told me that it collapsed. When we changed the oil filter this time, we saved it so that my brother could take a look at it. But basically what it's doing is the truck has oil pressure will you are pushing on the gas peddle or while it's idling. When you let off of the gas peddle the oil pressure gauges starts to fluctuate or goes to no oil pressure at all. And if you ignore it, it starts making an aweful noise in the engine.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:07 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Oil Filter Collapsing

Haven't we heard about unusual oil pressure fluctuations in these trucks before? I seem to remember something about that - engines were lunching themselves due to lost oil pressure for no reason.

XXL

Old 08-13-2003, 12:09 PM
stacy295
New User
Oil Filter Collapsing

Great, so how do we fix it? Besides parking it at the bottom of the river and telling my insurance company it's stolen?

Old 08-13-2003, 12:48 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Oil Filter Collapsing

Originally posted by BigMattXXL
Haven't we heard about unusual oil pressure fluctuations in these trucks before? I seem to remember something about that - engines were lunching themselves due to lost oil pressure for no reason.

XXL
Haven't heard this one. Stacy's problem probably stems from the remote filter installation.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:51 PM
stacy295
New User
Oil Filter Collapsing

I thought the 1997's had a remote filter? And if the 97's had a remote filter, then for it to be an issue with installation, it would have come from the factory that way and this would have developed a long time ago.

I'm telling you, this truck is just possessed!

Old 08-13-2003, 02:19 PM
peterbilt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Filter Collapsing

Can't you temporarily bypass the remote and connect the filter back at the block. If you are hearing engine noises when the gauge fluctuates you are living on borrowed time. That scares me. I'd would turn mine off immediately. Cammers need good oil to the heads.

Pete

Old 08-13-2003, 02:55 PM
stacy295
New User
Oil Filter Collapsing

I didn't know I had the ability to attach the oil filter to the head. This truck is COMPLETELY stock. No modifications done. The truck hasn't moved in 4 days because of this issue. We aren't taking any chances.

Old 08-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil Filter Collapsing

I think the first thing to do is get it towed (if you dont want to drive it) to your local garage and get them oil pressure checked with a manual gauge so you have an idea what is really happening. The gauge on the dash isnt always accurate.
I'm biased but I would get a dealer to look at it rather than someone else as dealer techs have experience and training on your vehicle. And the cost isnt always more. Yes the per hour rate is probably more but if the job takes less time due to more experience and training it might not cost more.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:22 PM
stacy295
New User
Oil Filter Collapsing

The dealership actually laughed at me when I told them what was wrong, so I'm not too impressed with them at the moment. My uncle is actually the head mechanic at the Chevy dealership, and recommended a different mechanic other then the Ford dealership. It is the same mechanic that we use for our BMW.

Old 08-14-2003, 05:58 AM
Petrol
Elder User
Oil Filter Collapsing

Originally posted by buzzard
Why would you think this? Not many have converted to a remote type system. If it's stock (unmodified by someone) it is not remote.
Jim, there are alot of Expy and F150s out there that have oem remote oil filters . . . mainly '97-'98 4WD models . . . has an adapter on the block and lines that run to the filter adapter behind the front bumper on the drivers side. I saw plenty of them when I was looking for the Expy I bought.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:42 PM
SemperFi
Junior User
Oil Filter Collapsing

Petrol

That is where my oil filter is located. Behind the front bumper on the driver side. Your correct! I never knew that was called a remote filter.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:55 PM
peterbilt
Senior User
Oil Filter Collapsing

Why did they quit using the remote filter on 4x4s. Any idea who made them? I'd like to check into it and see if they had a convenient mounting bracket.

Pete

Old 08-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Petrol
Elder User
Oil Filter Collapsing

Pete, Near as I could find out there was a problem with the oil lines (a couple of them had devloped leaks) as well as the valurablity of the filter, an otherwise minor fender bender could leave you in deep dodo and needing a wrecker if it was damaged.

At 1st I was all over researching a supplier for the oem kit (not much luck at the local stealership parts dept) when it struck me that for the money they were asking my block mounted filter isn't that hard to get at anyway . . . especially in light of the fact that the oem remote oil filter still sets in the horizontal postion (I wanted it to be vertical so that I could pre fill the filter with oil when doing a oil and filter change)

There are several aftermarket kits available to you which are designed for use with a larger and some times two stage/dual element oil filter system (BIG BUCKS) I couldn't justify the expense of these systems for my needs.

Old 08-14-2003, 03:34 PM
peterbilt
Senior User
Oil Filter Collapsing

Petrol

Thanks for the feedback. I agree the filter isn't that bad to get at. I go head first from the front and it is pretty easy. I have a 4x4 and Ford was actually clever in a platic piece that they put over the diff funneling the oil around preventing a mess.

Later
Pete

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Collapsing