1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 04:18 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Picky, picky, picky, But have to say never saw one like that at a dealer!

Did you notice on page 4, (and 19) the Radio Bezel? Ranger Lariat, Wooooooould love to find one of those!

Old 12-18-2015, 06:46 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
No, I don't remember one painted that way at the dealership.

The Ranger Lariat emblem comes off, so you could swap it to a lowly Ranger like I have.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:14 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Well, I guess that Bronco isn't quite correct. Go see the pic on Page 3 of the 1981 Pickup brochure. Looks like the frame should be white, the springs red, the tie rods green, the control arms yellow, and the crossmembers gray. Sorry for the misdirection before.
Anyone have the color code numbers for the colors pictured so I can pick up some paint

I will have to check out that Bronco link this weekend to see what colors parts started from the factory with and go from there. I am thinking things under the truck like tie rods, leaf springs, rear axle, TB were left unpainted to save money.
On a 70 AMC Javelin I am doing I am picking a little of factory and the way I want it.
Dave ----

Old 12-21-2015, 02:50 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Well they come in pairs!

I started this post on the FS on the right and once I bought it I reached out to make a deal on the SS on the left for parts. The inside of the FS is trashed and the truck does not have A/C where the parts truck has a good inside and has the much needed A/C.
On the way home with the FS I swung by work and used the power washer to get some of the dirt & grease off so I can see what I am working with.
Today I looked over both trucks sitting next to each other trying to come up with a plan. I knew the FS motor had a miss so I looked into it before getting to deep into this project. Pulled the plugs and did a compression test and had between 110-120 on all cly. With the reading I knew the motor was good so ran to the parts store for plugs wires (due in Monday) cap & rotor. I cleaned the oil & dirt off the cap & wires just to see what I had. Iinstalled the new plugs but thru on the old wires/cap/rotor and the motor runs great so 1 of the plugs that did not look too good must of been bad.
I also knew the front end makes a lot of noise and has a lot of play in it as I almost drove it off the road on the short road test I did before I bought it. With help from the wife I think the TB bushing are bad and the kingpins are frozen making the noise. Could also be where some of the play is too? So the full front suspension from the parts truck will go in this truck. Same with the rear leaf springs as 1 side has a coil helper spring installed, other coil is MIA!

I was hoping to use the cab corners and some of the floors to fix rust but the parts truck is not much better so will be on the hunt for cab corners and floors each side to the rockers. I am going to use the front nose off the parts truck even with the little bit of damage to 1 fender & hood as the FS has rust in 1 fender and hood frame. On the hood I may take the skins off the frames of both and use the good skin on the good frame. I have done this with my 70 AMC Javelin project.

I am also really thinking of pulling the bed & body off the frame so I can do a good job cleaning it before I paint it. With that said I sprayed all the bed/body bolts & nuts so they will come apart easier……..I hope!

Link to 1980F100 Custom FS builder
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100

Link to 1981 F100 Ranger SS parts truck
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100

Dave ----

Old 12-21-2015, 06:25 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Dave - I use sheetmetal from Tabco (https://tabcoparts.com/amfinder/), and my body man says the parts are some of the best he's seen.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:38 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Dave - I use sheetmetal from Tabco (https://tabcoparts.com/amfinder/), and my body man says the parts are some of the best he's seen.
thanks I was going to ask who do people use for patch panels.
I was going to look at mill auto supply & Sherman to see what they may have too.
Dave - - - -

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-21-2015, 07:47 AM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Rusty Bolts = oxy-acetylene torch. This tool in not an option with these trucks, it's a requirement, Invaluable throughout the rebuilding process!

Old 12-21-2015, 02:44 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by reamer
Rusty Bolts = oxy-acetylene torch. This tool in not an option with these trucks, it's a requirement, Invaluable throughout the rebuilding process!
If I only had one
I have the tank cart, hoses and should have a cutting & brazing heads.
Guess I should look into getting a set of tanks.
Being new to the area I don't know where to get any welding gear or even auto body supplies.
Dave ----

Old 12-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I get by with a MAPP gas bottle on a normal propane torch.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:02 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Question(s) below is the style side truck (red) dash and I am going to take the full dash and mount it in the flare side truck (black). I was told the radio & heater & A/C switch & controls were mounted here. Was there any thing else there also?

The SS truck (red) has duel tanks but I have yet to find a switch for switching tanks, would that have been mounted in this area also?
There are 2 think 4 wire gray plugs I would think 1 is the heat/AC and the other? Or are both for heat & AC?

Now if just heat/AC controls are mounted in this area where can I get this from? I don't know if any of the JY's here would have any of this or not?
Any one have a picture of this area so I know what it should look like?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Dave ----

Old 12-21-2015, 03:30 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
No offense, but your in for a world of hurt moving the (red) AC into the (black) Cab.
there are so many valves, wires, hoses, controls for the AC, even the heater core, and glove compartment set ups are completely different, I wanted to AC my cab, but I found a "Mint" AC, Cruise, Tilt cab for $700......

Old 12-21-2015, 03:57 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by reamer
No offense, but your in for a world of hurt moving the (red) AC into the (black) Cab.
there are so many valves, wires, hoses, controls for the AC, even the heater core, and glove compartment set ups are completely different, I wanted to AC my cab, but I found a "Mint" AC, Cruise, Tilt cab for $700......
I am married what can hurt more than that

JK someone else said about the same thing but I am going to give it a try.
If it does not work out I will at least have a AC vented dash, I can then get after market AC unit and use the stock AC vents.
The AC dash will stay together in the parts truck till it comes time to move it over to the street truck. Every little wire & hose will be marked along with where it plugs into and all backed up with pictures. I also will do this over a L O N G weekend so I can get it all done when fresh in my head.

I am also going to start looking for the needed manuals for the truck too.
Dave ----

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-21-2015, 04:02 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Ron is right. If you look I think you'll find that the openings in the firewall are different between the two trucks. There was the standard truck with just a heater, then dealer-installed A/C, and then factory-installed A/C. The red truck is factory-air given where the vents are. And the black one is heater only. It is possible to do the swap, but not easy.

You are missing the controls for the HVAC system that go in that opening that is dead-center in your two pics. And, by the way, on the right side of the A/C version of the control there was a switch to switch tanks.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:19 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Ron is right. If you look I think you'll find that the openings in the firewall are different between the two trucks. There was the standard truck with just a heater, then dealer-installed A/C, and then factory-installed A/C. The red truck is factory-air given where the vents are. And the black one is heater only. It is possible to do the swap, but not easy.

You are missing the controls for the HVAC system that go in that opening that is dead-center in your two pics. And, by the way, on the right side of the A/C version of the control there was a switch to switch tanks.
Still going to give it a try. Only thing I can see not swapping out would be the heater/AC box to the heat only truck. Could always swap over the firewall of the AC truck to non-AC. Heck I have to weld in cab corners and floors so what is a little firewall

Gary would you or anyone have a picture of the HVAC controls and maybe of the tank switch? This way I know what it looks like and what I would be looking for.
edit: I guess the 2 gray plugs are for the HVAC & tank switch?
Thanks guys
Dave ----

Old 12-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
There's a good pic in the middle of these on my web site: 1983 Bronco Survivor - Gary's Garagemahal

Quick Reply: New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side