1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hi Guys, Id like to introduce myself!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:48 AM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi Guys, Id like to introduce myself!

Hi Guys, Im not sure Im in the right place in this forum, my truck is a COE C600 not an F series.., hopefully this can work...If I need to be elsewhere in this forum please direct me.
I am happy to say Ive just taken possession of a 1955 C600. (COE)
I have some questions off the bat...are the door assemblies on a COE C600 shared by the F series trucks? I will want to replace the door glass. Both the window and wing window glass are separating some and I want those windows to be clean and clear. I cant find answers as to wheather the glass would be the same for a F series truck and a C series....
For those who want details of what Im doing: The C600 arrived in Texas yesterday, Veterans Day, where it will have an 18' dry van box installed on it. That box is outfitted as a tool store show room. Once shipped to me, I intend to drive my truck everyday and see my SAN DIEGO clients who can come aboard to shop quality tools on the coolest tool truck EVER! This 60 year old vehicle is replacing my stolen very modern Freightliner MT45 step van tool truck.... Since I basically have to start over again from the theft, Ive decided to do it with my own flair. I know I will love the C600's character while I am sure I will also miss the fabulous performance the Freightliner had. The Freightliner'sCummins/Allison was very strong/reliable....
Its a leap of faith to do what I am in the process of doing. I bought the truck from an ebay listing and am trusting the prior owner's word on its function. Video and pictures are comforting but that doesnt work like hands on inspection. So far the two parties that have represented me since its purchase have said I did ok. My transport guy who moved the truck from Colorado to Texas so that it arrived in Texas for veterans day was one. The Shop owner who will do the box transformation is the other that has indicated it is functional. He said the truck is straight and the black paint on the cab is a 5 out of 10 for condition. That representation of the paint by the prior owner was a little off, "paint has some blemishes" is a misleading when indicating paint condition. Charlie's 5 out of 10 was a clearer indication. I intend to wrap this truck in OLD GLORY so the paint is not an issue as long as its there to protect the metal from rust. The truck mechanically and interior wise is period correct. It was represented that the engine is "original" and rebuilt. It was also stated that the engine is a 292 Cid. My research doesnt show that engine to be what was offered from the factory and some license may have been taken from the prior owner on just what this truck REALLY is. Im ok with a 292 if indeed it is one. As long as it is a good running engine Ill be happy. It has a two speed rear end. It uses a 4 speed manual transmission. Like I said period correct. I intend to keep this truck original. Only the 4 feet I am having to have the frame extended to so the box and lift gate can fit are modifications that I will have to do. Charlie the owner of the Texas shop doing the transformation asked me if I was sure I wanted to do this. "This truck is 60 year old technology""I'd hate to see you having to file the points on the side of the road if your trying to run a business" I know its old technology. I can always do a few things to make the operation of this rig more reliable like replace the distributor with an electronic version. I think the fuel delivery system may also need an upgrade if the old technology gives me fits. I guess we will see. Its also very low geared but I wont be doing any real highway driving so we can also make those adjustments if need be after we see what's up. I intend to have the show room lights and a/c function by running a generator. Im deciding right now what fuel to have it use. Down the road I may need to make this truck a diesel and California is "funny" regarding emissions. Recent legislation has diesel truck owners with rigs older than 2010 having to make decisions. Either add an expensive emissions package or get rid of your rig by 2024...I was going to have to deal with that on the Freightliner in 6 years. With the regulations in mind, my truck is exempt due to age....kind of...no emissions test is required due to age, but a replacement engine is supposed to have the correct emissions on it for the year of the ENGINE. If a persnickety police or state official should look, and I didnt have the emission correct for the engine year...To get around that stuff, I may want to run clean natural gas in my diesel to by pass the heart burn California can represent. If so the generator would best be clean natural gas also... A cng generator is what I probably will do.. guys let me know about the doors are the C and F series doors the same??

Old 11-12-2015, 12:42 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 491 Posts
doors are different but the glass is the same

Old 11-12-2015, 01:37 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Welcome! Yes you are in the right place for your 55 COE, there are several very knowledgeable and helpful big truck and COE owners/builders that hang here.
Let me see I I have this straight tho. You live in CA. You had a late model diesel freightliner box truck you used in your business (route tool distributor to service centers, stores, etc like Snap-on, Matco etc, brand unimportant) that was stolen recently. That basically put you out of business unless you have secured a rental/replacement and new inventory? Rather than replace it with an immediately available late model truck you have decided to buy a described as original stock 1955 COE cab and chassis sight unseen from an seller in CO, and had it shipped to a builder in TX to have the chassis stretched and a box (origin/age?) installed and custom converted into a replacement for your stolen truck.
I admire your faith in others! I also admire your faith in the longevity of this project that this vehicle will still be in service 10 years from now to be concerned about legislation that may or may not be in effect then. I hope you have the means to continue in your business for the extended period of time this project is very likely to take, (No matter what the TV shows claim, these builds don't happen in a short period of time, go smoothly or are done well and under budget, especially if there isn't a large amount of money involved and the owner is not there to supervise, drive the progress, and make instant decisions) and as the builder has already expressed concerns, have the mechanical skills and knowledge and the financial reserves to deal with the mechanical issues that are very likely to rear up when putting 60 year old mechanicals back into daily service, that you must deal with immediately to maintain your livelihood. I hope you are prepared for the blank look of the teen stoner or guy who barely speaks English gives you as he stares at the equally blank computer screen when you ask for a part for a 1955 truck.
I am immediately curious why you went to a builder in TX, 1/2 the country away, when you live in the center of car culture and deal with the very businesses you need every day?

Old 11-12-2015, 02:42 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hello Tool Man, I don't have any COE knowledge but I would like to welcome you to FTE, which just happens to be the best site on the net for these wonderful old trucks.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:22 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 285 Likes on 227 Posts
I'd recommend checking to see what wheels are on the truck. The originals would have been 20" with two part outer rims. The most likely variety was the Firestone RH-5°, now called the widow maker, that few shops will touch anymore. Especially in CA. A Google search will let you figure out what you have, and if they are widow makers, tubeless 19.5" or 22.5" replacements exist. Stu

Old 11-12-2015, 03:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 629 Likes on 388 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I am immediately curious why you went to a builder in TX, 1/2 the country away, when you live in the center of car culture and deal with the very businesses you need every day?
Likely because the cost will be half that of the same work in CA?

I don't think we need to second guess why he bought the truck, what he wants to use it for, or anything else. He came looking for help and should get it.

Welcome Toolman, show us some pictures as soon as you can!

Old 11-12-2015, 06:43 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts
Welcome! This sounds like a great way to build a distinctive brand. As Ross mentioned, we like pictures.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to FTE. There are few things better to drool over than a tool truck. Sorry to hear about your loss, but going forward looks to be much better.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Likely because the cost will be half that of the same work in CA?

I don't think we need to second guess why he bought the truck, what he wants to use it for, or anything else. He came looking for help and should get it.

Welcome Toolman, show us some pictures as soon as you can!
What Ross said.
A little encouragement goes a long way. A few negative words last forever.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:23 AM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Welcome Toolman,you will definitely get the answers you need here. The members have been extremely helpful to me on my 1956 C 600 project.

Posting the vin # from the door plate and engine numbers will be helpful in determining the originality of your engine. It came with a 292 Y block originally.

Post some pictures if you can figure out how to do it (It's easier to restore the truck than posting pictures) and you will get all the help you need.

Regards, Mark.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:00 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome Toolman I like your plan but would caution you that the weight you will be pulling with a box filled with tools will work the 292 alot. You are at the right place the gentlemen here are always willing to help.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:02 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We don't get too many COEs here. Look forward to seeing pics of the truck.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:38 PM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
Appreciate EVERYONE's REPLY!!!

FATFENDERS,PWENG1,BADMOONRIZEN,Skalywag,MIXERMAN,F ORTYNINER,
ALBUQ F-1, TRUCKDOG2563, UNDERTHEBRIDGEJIM, AXRACER, BIGWIN56F100
Guys that was an over whelming response THANK YOU. To answer a question I choose to do this in Texas rather than in my back yard because the BOX was already there. It has a set of entry steps that hang down well below the bottom of the box. It wouldnt sit flat on a truck to ship it. Money spent to fab a way to level it seemed wasteful. Charlie there in Texas and I hit it off so here we go! I have really only one place/shop here that I have a relationship capable of this work and it is as me being a customer not one of my clients....TRUCKDOG2563 I will check out the wheels once it reaches me in California---good point...Im an ex Tire Store Manager so I was curious...Tires on it are new but I didnt even ask about load capacity or the like...mainly interested in transforming it and getting it into my possession...AND YES AXracer you have it correct. Im doing it my way this time. I am have a loss of income rider on my insurance that is allowing me to ride it out for a short while. Then I will hopefully win. It has been a terrible ordeal with the theft of my Freightliner/Inventory/personal possessions also(those scum bags also broke into my shipping container parked right next to the tool truck and loaded an already stacked full tool truck(a feat by it self in my book it was so full}with the stuff in the container ie extra inventory and the back half was my families stuff like the folding chairs I use when I host breakfast for my large family... So Yes Im doing it my way and if there is some heart burn well let it be. I had plenty already and I am going to WIN. My customer's have been very supportive and lets just pray this goes as smoothly as possible. Charlie Texas good old boy DOES BOX MOVES EVERYDAY JUST NOT ON A 60 year old truck...He's got 30 years of experience and integrity gotta go with that.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:20 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,701 Posts
I'm rooting for you toolman, it will be neat to see a 60 year old truck pull up chocked full of tools. Looking forward to some pictures when you have them. You'll get lots of good advice here and then you have to listen to the resident know it all every time he arrives.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:57 PM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
One other point California has passed a law where any Diesel powered truck I might have purchased that was older than 2010 was going to have to under go the expensive $30K emissions retrofit or be off the road there is a sliding scale here but basically by 2022 all older than 2010 would be hit. So that left me with a purchase of 2010 and up. There are not that much used inventory that would be equipped as a tool truck on the market for 2010 and up. And those trucks cost way more than my pay out. My insurance payout for the truck was a fight to get a correct fair market value and with the California law suddenly older than 2010 trucks are not worth what they should be so that also affected my trucks value bringing it down to a level that I couldnt replace it for what the pay out was. Its complicated and couple that with the fact that I really just want a cool truck and am willing to do what ever it takes to get it... I have a lot of years in the repair business so I know I may have parts issues but I also am very resourceful. Its not like parts are totally unavailable so with some pre planning I should be able to limit the head ache that occurs from stoner teen parts guys etc. But you are right what I am doing is very un conventional and probably nuts

Quick Reply: Hi Guys, Id like to introduce myself!